What Makes Rock the Suggestion Box the Coolest Place to Vent?

In summary, Rock the Suggestion Box is a place for people to share their ideas and rants. It is not a place for questions.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Rock the Suggestion Box

Like the Feedback Forum, but hipper ! :biggrin:

No need to wear well-brushed suits and shiny leather shoes here. No need to bow to the Uberlords as you enter. Heck, we don't even care if you don't iron your underwear before wearing them ! :wink:

Just drop your pa...oops, rants here. Words of appreciation are permitted, but rants are prefered. :approve: Non-sequiturs, incoherent essays about secret nuclear research, and questions like "Why is my post count 0 ?" are strongly encouraged.

We have burgers (bloody-as-hell), tofu on a stick, cheap vodka and a Brita filter. We occasionally have fondue parties ! :tongue2:

And we've got great music playing. Today's theme is "Rants in my Pants". First up, Ugly Kid Joe with Everything About You.

So, drop by, grab a bite, and b!+ch about something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Today is a bad day, back-breaking, heart-heavy bad day and I promise you guys if I see another report about Hong Kong being the freeest most successful economy, the people being smart etc, I WILL THROW UP! The truth is all of us here are sleep deprived, working our fingers to the bone, taking tonnes of shi% everyday so that we have money to pay mortgage for our "negative equity asset"/buy stuff we don't need/food that makes us fat/kills us slowly. Nobody wants to admit it but we are owned by banks and property developers and we slave our lives away for them. On top of that the little girl with brain tumour I wrote about months ago is deterioating, tumour has spread to spinal cord and she has lost her bowel control etc. I wish I could cry. And where the hell is 42?! I really miss you.

And people, get ready for the economic crunch from China, it is REAL BAD.

I need a drink.

Last edited:
So is this suggestions/rants about the forum, or anything?

My only rant about the forum is this unfinished theme!

mattmns said:
So is this suggestions/rants about the forum, or anything?

Both...either or...anything...there's really no rules here.

Did it trouble you immensely to find out that Häagen-Dazs comes out of Brooklyn, NY, and not some idyllic dairy farm in Western Europe ?

http://images.animationfactory.com/animations/objects/lamps_lights/disco_ball/disco_ball_sm_nwm.gif Wow,[/URL] love the furry furniture and shag carpeting! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'll complain. I'm really in the mood.

Not long after an ex Navy nuke guy told me all about how he learned as much physics in six months as we learned in four years [he didn't know that my degree is in physics], he explained to the customer how under excess braking load, the motor control panel diverts the EXTRA VOLTAGE to the braking resistors. I'll tell you, when it comes to money, it is more important to talk a good line than to know what you're doing. You divert the excess current. His is a statement typical of a know-it-all who understands very little.

Over the last couple of years I have almost posted dozens of rants that I ended up deleting because they were soooooooo negative, but it comes down to this: Customers are [expletive expletive] liars! Someone once told me this when I started in the business but for a long time I didn't realize how bad it is. I am so sick of people trying to screw me from every direction. If someone actually told me the truth I would probably fall over dead. Frankly, I am really struggling with an increasingly cynical attitude about people. My strength has always been that I take personal responsiblity for every job that I do. I don't pretend that nothings wrong when there is, or that I know when I don't, or that its done when its not. I don't lie to cover my butt, and I certainly don't lie to incriminate others. On this last job, one idiot's lie cost me two weeks of work. All that he had to say was that he didn't know, which he didn't. Instead he chose to lie and pretend that he knew everything. Now I can either say, oh well, screwed again, or I can make life miserable for everyone and take him to court. And who has time for that?

So goes the never ending saga of self employment. Oh well, it still beats having a boss. But I am afraid that one day the ole heart will just lock up and I'll just drop like a rock. One time I got so ticked off that I honestly think I nearly had a heart attack. I have learned to calm myself before things get that bad, but sometimes the bullets just keep coming, and coming, and coming. :grumpy: Its tough being the Lone Ranger sometimes, like always. Still, I hate bosses even more. I guess I would rather be dead than an employee. :confused:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
We have burgers (bloody-as-hell), tofu on a stick, cheap vodka and a Brita filter. We occasionally have fondue parties ! :tongue2:

Not any more, i only buy grey goose now. The good stuff, all around.

Ivan Seeking said:
But I am afraid that one day the ole heart will just lock up and I'll just drop like a rock. One time I got so ticked off that I honestly think I nearly had a heart attack. I have learned to calm myself before things get that bad, but sometimes the bullets just keep coming, and coming, and coming. :grumpy: Its tough being the Lone Ranger sometimes, like always. Still, I hate bosses even more. I guess I would rather be dead than an employee. :confused:
Stuffs the "HeartStart" home defibrilator into Ivan's computer.

I recently got a new Vice President that is destroying everything about this job that I didn't hate. My boss is quitting (my boss is wonderful), everyone is quitting, or being fired, or on stress disability.

I can't take it anymore. :cry: I was going to go back to my old company, but we just bought them and now I have nowhere to go. :cry:

If I suddenly disappear, you'll know I decided to end it all.

Don't end it all Evo. You have so much going for you. For one, you make that habbit look gooooooood. :biggin: :buggrin: :buggrun:

So, drop by, grab a bite, and b!+ch about something.
Complain? No way !

Greg nods, Chroot unpacks the big guns, Evo traces your whereabouts then the Sisters of PF provide a little shotgun therapy.

Ivan Seeking said:
Don't end it all Evo. You have so much going for you. For one, you make that habbit look gooooooood. :biggin: :buggrin: :buggrun:
If only that was really me. :frown:

My dog just vomited on my pillow.

This night is going downhill fast.

Yep, I know how you feel. Bun keeps bringing in dead things and hiding them in my office.

Evo said:
I can't take it anymore. :cry: I was going to go back to my old company, but we just bought them and now I have nowhere to go. :cry:

If I suddenly disappear, you'll know I decided to end it all.
Don't.
I'm a happy guy 75-90% of the time and I promise I've had a much harder life than anyone else here. I've been stabbed in the neck, had my daughter kidnapped, been arrested for a crime I didn't commit, spent several months homeless during which someone stole my shoes on Christmas Day in the rain. This isn't a contest, and that's enough about my hardtimes, but suffice it to say if I can go on so can you.
Things are never so bad that ending it all is a solution. Not even jokingly. I've considered it, but always came to my senses, and I'm happy I'm still here.
So no matter how hard it seems, remember how many people really care about you. The number is mind boggling. Besides I'm contemplating trying something I saw on TV which involves a plastic eraser, liquid Nitrogen and explosions. You don't want to miss it.

A round of drinks for everyone. Polly, Ivan, Tribby and Evo sure deserve theirs. I think I can tend the bar for a li'l bit. Franz, you look like you're doing okay.

So, what'll it be, folks ? I've decided to stock up the bar : we've got anything you want, From Stolichnaya Vodka to a Merryvale Cabernet, it's all here (including a 240 liter dewar of liquid nitrogen, for Tribdog's consumption) !

<track currently playing : Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper>

Last edited:
oh, forgot to mention the drunk driver that killed my dog. I'll take a beer. lol just kidding, I'm the one that killed my dog.

Gokul43201 said:
A round of drinks for everyone. Polly, Ivan, Tribby and Evo sure deserve theirs. I think I can tend the bar for a li'l bit. Franz, you look like you're doing okay.

I'll be the barback and run ice, glasses, stock, or whatever you need to make these fine people a little happier! :smile:

Where's the yager, Tsu and some of the other sisters have been feeling sick lately plus I could use some *hummpgh* cough medicine! :biggrin:

Pour me a guiness and I'll sing 'danny boy' when I get back!

Gokul43201 said:

So, what'll it be, folks ? I've decided to stock up the bar : we've got anything you want, From Stolichnaya Vodka to a Merryvale Cabernet, it's all here (including a 240 liter dewar of liquid nitrogen, for Tribdog's consumption) !

Just line up one of everything for me Gokul and keep the music playing. :shy:

Trib, I know, I suck. My next door neighbor ran over and killed my dog (pre jaws of death), that was between running over two of her own dogs and the other neighbor's dog and then running over their kitten with her lawnmower. :mad:

Tribdog said:
Besides I'm contemplating trying something I saw on TV which involves a plastic eraser, liquid Nitrogen and explosions. You don't want to miss it.
Oooooh, now this is worth hanging around for.

Gokul, make that two of everything!

http://www.globalhermit.com/travelogue/boston/guinness.jpg
Polyb, your Guinness is waiting for you.

Tribdog, Corona work for you ? And that's a vent valve :eek:, leave it alone !

Evo, 2 dirty martinis coming up. Should I go easy on the Vermouth ?

Last edited by a moderator:
got enough for the rest of us gokul? :approve:

Gokul43201 said:

I'll take a cosmopolitan! Yum!

Me, I don't have anything to rant about other than a year's worth of lost time on a project because my collaborators decided instead of waiting for a x-ray machine to be repaired (delay the project a few weeks), they went ahead with surgeries with only one (when a precise 3D placement was needed), so now I have the grand total of n=2 from this year's experiment, and it's too late to repeat it until next fall (has to be done during the breeding season). So, instead of putting it off 2 weeks, I now lose a whole year! :grumpy: That, and I have a whole pile of contradictory results here from my other set of experiments. :cry: It doesn't make any sense at all! I keep trying to sort through it and make some sense of it, but no matter what interpretation I consider, some piece of data doesn't fit.

*downs cosmo* Mmm...thanks...Mardis Gras week is starting, so I think I'll have a hurricane next. That's the good thing about virtual bars, I don't have to figure out how I'm going to get home when I chase a cosmo with a hurricane! :biggrin:

got enough for the rest of us gokul?
You bet !

Polyb, the Yaeger's between the Kahlua and the Bitters.

(in me best bad impression of me ancestoors)
"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me."
:biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin: :rofl:

tribdog said:
Besides I'm contemplating trying something I saw on TV which involves a plastic eraser, liquid Nitrogen and explosions. You don't want to miss it.

Oh boy. Gokul, you better keep those hurricanes coming! And check that stock of medicinal whiskey back there; I have a feeling we're going to need it really soon.

Gokul43201 said:
Evo, 2 dirty martinis coming up. Should I go easy on the Vermouth ?
Awww, you remembered! :!) Just waive the Vermouth bottle over the glasses, that'll be enough. :wink:

Polyb, on vocals and pipes, ladies and germs !

<thanks polyb, that was...moving ! :approve:>

Moonbear, your Hurricane's coming up. Ummm..hope you don't mind, I substituted more Bacardi for the grapefruit. I knew there was something I was missing :grumpy:

<now playing : George Thorogood, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer >

Gokul43201 said:
Moonbear, your Hurricane's coming up. Ummm..hope you don't mind, I substituted more Bacardi for the grapefruit. I knew there was something I was missing :grumpy:
No problem! Bacardi's my preferred rum.

<now playing : George Thorogood, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer >

Excellent! :approve:

how much colder is liquid Nitrogen than liquid butane?

There's more!:biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
You bet !
Polyb, the Yaeger's between the Kahlua and the Bitters.

For that I and for the shotgun-sisters at PF:

"Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for all the joy and pain. Picture shows, second balcony, was the place we'd meet, Second seat, go Dutch treat, you were sweet.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Save those lies, Darling don't explain. I recall, Central Park in fall. How you tore your dress, what a mess, I confess. That's not all.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for walks down Lover's Lane. I can see, hearts carved on a tree. Letters inter-twined, for all time, yours and mine, that was fine.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for seeing me again. Though we go on our separate ways, Still the memory stays, for always, my heart says, Danke Schoen.

Danke Schoen, Oh Darling, Danke Schoen. I said, Thank you for seeing me again. Though we go- on our separate ways, Still the memory stays, for always, my heart says, Danke Schoen.

Danke Schoen, Auf Wiedersehen, Danke Schoen"
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My rant...

I hate it when people go to school when they shouldn't. They complain that it's too hard when its not. For god sakes, a first year math major questionned if there is a connection between primes like a set of even or odd numbers. This is common sense that it does not exist as a polynomial. The funny part is... they probably don't know what a polynomial is!

I can't wait till 3rd/4th year when I can do research and half of the idiots are knocked out of the program.

For god sakes, some math majors failed Calculus I (from the text of Stewart). Like come on, it was high school all over again.

It drives me nuts everyday.

As for the forum, I have no problems at all.

Note: I'll have a Coors, please. :)

JasonRox said:
My rant...

I hate it when people go to school when they shouldn't. They complain that it's too hard when its not. For god sakes, a first year math major questionned if there is a connection between primes like a set of even or odd numbers. This is common sense that it does not exist as a polynomial. The funny part is... they probably don't know what a polynomial is!

I can't wait till 3rd/4th year when I can do research and half of the idiots are knocked out of the program.

For god sakes, some math majors failed Calculus I (from the text of Stewart). Like come on, it was high school all over again.

It drives me nuts everyday.

As for the forum, I have no problems at all.

Note: I'll have a Coors, please. :)

Nobody drinks Coors voluntarily.

Thanks polyb, Gokul.

Got any broccoli beer?

tribdog said:
how much colder is liquid Nitrogen than liquid butane?

Doesn't matter, we're not letting you play with butane in any form. Here's a balloon, go throw it in the nitrogen and see what happens. :biggrin:

*passes around chips and dip for the spectators* Okay, folks, just stand far enough back from the nitrogen tank while tribdog is playing with it. We only have room in the cryogenic facility for one frozen PFer.

Ivan Seeking said:
Thanks polyb, Gokul.

Got any broccoli beer?

That's a new one. But trib has a whole tank of liquid nitrogen to play with, so he can take care of any frozen broccoli cravings you might have.

Jason, here's your Coo...wait, I need to see some ID first. I'll have to decide what the age limit is here. Let's say 18 and up, wot ? Others may taste any of our fabulous non-alcoholic beverages : we've got Cranberry, Orange, Lime, Tomato, Pineapple, Coconut Juice, Lemonade, Pepsi, 7 Up and SunDrop.

Danke shoen, Polyb ! :approve:

<now playing : Kiss, Crazy Nights >

Moonbear said:
*passes around chips and dip for the spectators* Okay, folks, just stand far enough back from the nitrogen tank while tribdog is playing with it. We only have room in the cryogenic facility for one frozen PFer.

He can keep the beer and yager cold!:biggrin:

"Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe.
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tall tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by."

BARTENDER: Say ye what souplies ye may be needing!

Back