Composition of infinite deformation retracts

In summary, the given function f does not deformation retract onto the edge circle of the removed polar cap.
finsly
I'm trying to give an answer to the following problem, I hope someone could come in help! Consider a smooth [itex]n[/itex]-dimensional manifold [itex]M[/itex] with smooth (nonempty) boundary [itex]\partial M[/itex], and suppose given a function [itex]f: M\setminus \partial M \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] (which one can assume to be differentiable) satisfying the property that there exists [itex]A > 0[/itex] such that for any [itex]A \le \alpha \le \beta[/itex], one has that the sublevel [itex]\left\{F\le -\beta\right\}[/itex] is a deformation retract of [itex]\left\{F\le -\alpha \right\}[/itex]. The question is: is it true that [itex]\partial M[/itex] is a deformation retract of [itex]\left\{F\le -A\right\}\cup \partial M[/itex] (i.e., is it true that a composition of infinitely many of such deformation retracts is a deformation retract)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a full answer for you, but as a rule of thumb, infinite compositions of maps don't necessarily retain the properties of the individual maps. I think in this case a compactness argument might work, although I think either I'm missing something from your statement, or it's incomplete. Do we know what [itex]f\big|_{\partial M}[/itex] is? I was assuming it's identically zero, but I realize the problem doesn't say, nor does it say anything about what happens on the levels between zero and A.

First of all, thank you for your reply. Next, you're right, I forgot an hypothesis that could be crucial: [itex]f(p)\to -\infty[/itex] as [itex]p[/itex] approaches the boundary [itex]\partial M[/itex]. Could this do any difference?
Maybe, (but I don't know if this makes any sense...) an idea could be to work with the extended function [itex]\hat{f}: M \to \mathbb{R}^*[/itex], where [itex]\mathbb{R}^*:=\mathbb{R}\cup \left\{\infty\right\}[/itex] (the Alexandroff compactification of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]), [itex]\hat{f}(p):=f(p)[/itex] if [itex]p \in M\setminus \partial M[/itex] and [itex]\hat{f}:=\infty[/itex] if [itex]f \in \partial M[/itex] (hoping that this [itex]\hat{f}[/itex] inherits some regularity from [itex]f[/itex]...). In this way, [itex]\partial M[/itex] would become the level [itex]\left\{f=\infty\right\}[/itex]...

Slice the north polar ice cap off of a sphere to get a manifold with boundary. Then remove the South pole. Let f be the reciprocal of the minimum of the distances along a great circles to the South pole and to the edge of the removed polar cap. This function is continuous and f(p) -> -∞ as p approaches the edge of the removed ice cap.

But but the set,

f < - the distance of the meridian where both distances are the same

does not deform onto the edge circle of the ice cap.it seems that you need to assume that f(p) -> -∞ if and only if p approaches the boundary.

Last edited:
I really apologize with all of you for the incompleteness of the provided hypothesis. Actually, the manifold [itex]M[/itex] is simply connected as well as its boundary [itex]\partial M[/itex], and these restrictions seems to exclude the latter counterexample (if I'm not wrong).
And (finally) these are all the hypothesis I have...

What is an infinite deformation retract?

An infinite deformation retract is a mathematical concept in topology that describes a continuous transformation of a space onto a subspace. This transformation preserves the topological structure of the space and continuously moves the points of the space toward the subspace, eventually collapsing the space onto the subspace in an infinite number of steps.

What is the importance of infinite deformation retracts?

Infinite deformation retracts are important in topology because they allow for the study of topological spaces by breaking them down into simpler, more manageable spaces. They also provide a way to classify spaces based on their topological properties.

How can one determine if a space has an infinite deformation retract?

A space has an infinite deformation retract if it can be continuously transformed onto a subspace without changing its topological structure. This can be determined by examining the homotopy groups of the space, as spaces with isomorphic homotopy groups are considered homotopy equivalent and can be continuously deformed onto each other.

What is the relationship between finite and infinite deformation retracts?

Finite deformation retracts are a special case of infinite deformation retracts, where the transformation from the space to the subspace can be completed in a finite number of steps. In other words, every finite deformation retract is also an infinite deformation retract, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

Are there any real-world applications of infinite deformation retracts?

Infinite deformation retracts have applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and biology. In computer science, they can be used to model the deformation of virtual objects, while in physics they can be used to study the behavior of physical systems. In biology, infinite deformation retracts can help in the study of protein folding, which involves the continuous transformation of a linear chain of amino acids into a folded three-dimensional structure.