Should I double major in EE and Physics? Need advices

In summary, the person is considering double majoring in EE and Physics, but is concerned about the additional GE requirements and the career path in solid-state physics and semiconductors. Other individuals suggest pursuing graduate studies in the field of interest and highlight the potential differences in mind-set between physics and engineering.
vink
Should I double major in EE and Physics? Need advices

Even though I'm currently majoring in EE, I also have great interest in physics. I'm now considering about doubling EE and Physics. I've just discuss about double majoring with my department advisor, she told me that doubling will require me to fullfill the GE requirements for both colleges (engineering and letter & science), which is like 4 more GE classes. Also, since I've been taking physics-major's physics courses; so, I don't need to retake undergrad phys courses if I've decided to double.

For the physics part, I'm thinking about studying solid-state physics. And for the EE part, I'm thinking about fields related to semiconductor.

My primary inquiry is if those two fields (solid-state phys and semiconductor) are related (in terms of career path) ?

Also, please tell me if you guys think doubling EE and Physics is a good idea or not?

Your advices are all welcome.
Thank you all for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vink said:
For the physics part, I'm thinking about studying solid-state physics. And for the EE part, I'm thinking about fields related to semiconductor.

My primary inquiry is if those two fields (solid-state phys and semiconductor) are related (in terms of career path) ?

As a physics person, I see semiconductors as a chapter in solid state physics books. And that is precisely what they are, a class of solids. They are single-out in EE courses because they have been a recent booming industry.

Since you are obviously interested in this field, if I were you, I'd get my undergrad out of the way as soon as possible and do graduate studies in the field, where your curriculum is more specific to your personnal interests.

Undergraduate school covers a lot of material in a shallow manner on purpose. If you double majored you would spend a lot of extra time and energy on material you are not so interested in with questionable gain. So I agree with Gonzolo, work on getting into graduate school. Then choose one with a good research program in the subject you are most interested in.

Electrical engineering and Physics is a brilliant combination. If I were you, I would go for it.

Before I retired, I would have felt more inclined to hire a dual major, but I would have also wondered why. In the interview it would have been necessary to "feel" out the person to see if engineering was his dominant interest. IMHO there is a different mind-set that distinguishes the physicist from the engineer. I would imagine you would want to seek employment in a research environment, rather than churning out circuit board designs.

1. Should I double major in EE and Physics?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about both subjects and see potential overlap in your future career, then a double major may be a good choice. However, if you are only interested in one of the subjects, it may be more beneficial to focus on that single major and possibly take some electives in the other subject.

2. What are the benefits of double majoring in EE and Physics?

Double majoring in EE and Physics can provide a strong foundation in both the theoretical and practical aspects of these STEM fields. It can also open up a wider range of career opportunities, as you will have a diverse skill set and knowledge base.

3. Is it difficult to double major in EE and Physics?

Double majoring in any subject can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of time and dedication. However, if you are passionate about both subjects and manage your time effectively, it is certainly achievable.

4. Will a double major in EE and Physics take longer to complete?

It may take longer to complete a double major, as you will have to fulfill the requirements for both majors. However, if you plan ahead and carefully choose your courses, it is possible to graduate within the typical four-year timeline.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a double major in EE and Physics?

My advice would be to carefully consider your interests and career goals. Research the course requirements for both majors and speak to academic advisors to ensure that a double major aligns with your academic and career plans. Additionally, make sure to prioritize time management and seek help from professors and peers if you find yourself struggling in any of your courses.