A Tensor Problem: A skew-symmetric tensor and another tensor

• Thread starter kudoushinichi88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, when evaluating the expression (B_{ij} B_{kl} + B_{il}B_{kj})A_{ik}, the final answer can be simplified to 2\sum_i B_{ij} B_{il} A_{ii} or 2B_{mj} B_{ml} A_{nn} without the summation. This can be achieved by recognizing the similarity to the Levi-Civita symbol and using the arbitrary nature of dummy indices to write the expression in a simpler form.
kudoushinichi88

Homework Statement

If [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] is a skew-symmetric tensor, and [itex]B_{ij}[/itex] is a second-order tensor, evaluate the expression

[tex](B_{ij} B_{kl} + B_{il}B_{kj})A_{ik}[/tex]

and express the final answer in its simplest form.

Homework Equations

For a skew-symmetric tensor, [itex]A_{ik}=-A_{ki}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck and unsure what's the first step. I notice that the expression in the bracket looks similar to what happens when two Levi-Civita symbols come together to form an expression of two pairs of the Kronecker delta. Other than that I'm quite lost. Can I get a tip please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably summing over all the repeated indices, right? Remember then that the dummy indices are arbitrary, and you can for example swap k and i if you feel like it. Using this, maybe you can write the expression into a form where you take BijBkl as a common factor, multiplying some expression containing the tensor A.

Here's what I have so far:

[tex]
(B_{ij} B_{kl} + B_{il}B_{kj})A_{ik}\\
=B_{ij} B_{1l}A_{i1}+B_{ij}B_{2l}A_{i2}+B_{il} B_{1l}A_{i1}+B_{il}B_{2j}A_{i2}\\
=B_{1j} B_{1l}A_{11}+B_{2j} B_{1l}A_{21}+B_{1j}B_{2l}A_{12}+B_{2j}B_{2l}A_{22}+B_{1l} B_{1l}A_{11}+B_{2l} B_{1l}A_{21}+B_{1l}B_{2j}A_{12}+B_{2l}B_{2j}A_{22}\\
=2B_{1j} B_{1l}A_{11}+2B_{2l}B_{2j}A_{22}[/tex]

So the final answer that I can give is... [tex]2\sum_i B_{ij} B_{il} A_{ii}[/tex] or in the Einstein summation, [tex]2B_{mj} B_{ml} A_{nn}[/tex] with nn no sum.

If this is correct, is there any other way to write this without the no sum?

1. What is a skew-symmetric tensor?

A skew-symmetric tensor is a type of tensor that has the property of being equal to its negative when all indices are interchanged. This means that if we switch the order of any two indices, the resulting tensor will be the negative of the original tensor.

2. How is a skew-symmetric tensor different from a symmetric tensor?

A symmetric tensor is equal to its own transpose, while a skew-symmetric tensor is equal to the negative of its transpose. This means that a symmetric tensor is unchanged when its indices are interchanged, while a skew-symmetric tensor changes sign.

3. What is the significance of a skew-symmetric tensor in physics?

Skew-symmetric tensors are commonly used in physics to describe physical quantities that are anti-symmetric, such as electromagnetic fields and angular momentum. They also play a crucial role in formulating Maxwell's equations and the conservation laws of energy and momentum.

4. Can a skew-symmetric tensor be represented as a matrix?

Yes, a skew-symmetric tensor can be represented as a matrix using the Levi-Civita symbol. The Levi-Civita symbol acts as a "map" between the indices of a skew-symmetric tensor and the components of its matrix representation. The matrix representation will have zeros along the main diagonal and opposite entries for off-diagonal elements.

5. How is a skew-symmetric tensor used to solve problems in mechanics?

In mechanics, skew-symmetric tensors are used to describe the relationship between forces and moments in a system. They are also used to calculate the angular velocity and angular acceleration of a rotating body. Additionally, they are essential in formulating the equations of motion for rigid bodies and studying the dynamics of multi-body systems.