Someone with a math computer program

In summary: So there is no unique solution to these equations.In summary, the conversation was about a request for someone to input equations into a math program in order to find the values of a, b, x, and y. However, the equations provided were overdetermined, meaning there is no unique solution. The conversation also suggested that the topic should be discussed in a Linear Algebra forum.
msmith12
so, this is probably not exactly posted in the right place, but I was wondering if someone could enter a couple of things into a math program for me. I have two simple systems of equations and need the values for them, and unfortunately, don't have mathematica on this computer, and I reallly don't want to try these out with pencil and paper... so without further adiou...

[tex]
(1-a-b)(1+4x+3y)=a(4-4x-y)=b(2+y)
[/tex]
[tex]
(1-x-y)(1+6a-b)=x(4-2a+8b)=y(6-5a-6b)
[/tex]

and...

[tex]
a(1+4x+3y)=b(4-4x-y)
[/tex]
[tex]
x(4a+2b)=y(6a+b)=(1-x-y)(a+7b)
[/tex]

i need to find the values of a,b,x,y for each set of equations.

(in case you were wondering where these came from, they are the equilibrium probabilites that player A chooses 1,2,3 and player B chooses a,b,c)

thanks a bunch

~tired of number crunching

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that your equations are overdetermined. You only have 4 unknowns, but you have 7 equations, which either means that 3 of them are redundant, or there is no solution. I don't have a math program either, so I can't verify that statement.

BTW, this really belongs more in the Linear Algebra forum.

I checked with Mathematica and the solution set is empty.

1. What is a math computer program?

A math computer program is a type of software that is designed to perform various mathematical calculations and operations. It is typically used to solve complex equations, graph functions, and analyze data.

2. How does a math computer program work?

A math computer program uses algorithms and formulas to process mathematical data and produce accurate results. It also allows users to input their own equations and variables to be solved or analyzed.

3. What are the benefits of using a math computer program?

There are many benefits to using a math computer program. It can save time and effort by quickly solving complex equations and performing repetitive calculations. It can also provide more accurate results compared to manual calculations.

4. Are math computer programs only for advanced users?

No, math computer programs are designed to be user-friendly and can be used by individuals of all levels, from beginners to advanced users. Some programs may have more advanced features, but there are also many options for basic calculations and graphing.

5. Can I use a math computer program for any type of math problem?

Most math computer programs are versatile and can handle a wide range of mathematical problems, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. However, some programs may have limitations or be specialized for certain types of calculations, so it is important to research and choose the right program for your specific needs.