Math: Real or Created By Humans?

• Thread starter saminator910
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
Therefore, it is better suited for a philosophy forum rather than a math forum. In summary, the conversation explores the nature of math and whether it is created by humans or exists independently. It also touches on the cultural influences on math and the role of logic in discovering mathematical truths. The concept of a function is discussed as an example, and the conversation concludes by noting that this topic falls more under philosophy than mathematics.
saminator910
is math "real", or created by humans, and other questions about the nature of math.

These questions have disturbed me for the past month. If I define a certain mathematical structure, say a function, is it real? what makes it real, when a class of students ponders a function are they all just imagining this same hypothetical object, or does it exist? Do we humans create math by assigning symbols, or values to objects? Does all of math exist beyond what we humans know, is it all present but undiscovered, or have we been building on axioms to create more math. Have the primes placed in our number system been distributed at the beginning of time, or have we humans created them by defining operations such as division on a number system that we have made up? Can anyone give me any insight on these questions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Perhaps not a direct answer to your question, but you might like to ponder what Professor C.R. Wylie was talking about in his sonnett "Paradox":

Paradox
by C. R. Wylie

Not truth, nor certainty. These I forswore
In my novitiate, as young men called
To holy orders must abjure the world.
'If . . . , then . . . ,' this only I assert;
And my successes are but pretty chains
Linking twin doubts, for it is vain to ask
If what I postulate be justified,
Or what I prove possesses the stamp of fact.

Yet bridges stand, and men no longer crawl
In two dimensions. And such triumphs stem
In no small measure from the power this game,
Played with the thrice-attenuated shades
Of things, has over their originals.
How frail the wand, but how profound the spell!

The questions we ask, and hence the branches of mathematics that are developed, are to some extent cultural, but the answers we get are not. These follow from logic which is quite independent of any physical facts about the universe in general or us in particular (though some philosophers may disagree).
Any sufficiently advanced civilisation will develop counting and arithmetic, completely equivalent to ours. They may go on to ask questions about numbers, leading them to invent the concept of a prime number, and discover many of the same facts about them.

If I define a certain mathematical structure, say a function, is it real?
It is a real concept :smile:

TGlad said:
It is a real concept :smile:

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Dumbledore always says it best.

This thread does not meet the guidelines of the math forums. The math forums are for technical math questions only.

This is a question on the philosophy of mathematics, not mathematics.

1. Is math real or created by humans?

The answer to this question is not straightforward. Some argue that the concepts and principles of math, such as numbers and equations, exist independently of human existence and are discovered by humans. Others argue that math is a human invention used to describe and understand the world around us. Ultimately, the answer may depend on one's philosophical beliefs.

2. How do we know that math is real?

One way to argue that math is real is through its practical applications. Math is used in a wide range of fields, from science and technology to finance and economics, and has been proven to be effective in solving real-world problems. Additionally, the consistency and predictability of mathematical principles also suggest that they are based on something real.

3. Can math concepts change over time?

While some basic mathematical principles have remained unchanged for centuries, the way we approach and use math can evolve over time. For example, new mathematical theories and equations may be developed to better explain phenomena or solve complex problems. However, the underlying principles of math are thought to be universal and unchanging.

4. Is math a language?

Some argue that math is a language used to communicate and describe concepts and relationships. However, others argue that math is more than just a language, as it also involves abstract reasoning and problem-solving. Ultimately, the debate over whether math is a language or not is ongoing.

5. Can math be wrong?

Math is based on logical and consistent principles, so it is generally considered to be objective and accurate. However, human error or faulty assumptions can lead to incorrect mathematical conclusions. Additionally, as our understanding of the world and technology advances, certain mathematical concepts may be updated or revised. Therefore, while math may not be inherently wrong, it can be subject to human error and revision.