Fitting a Cosine Function to Inflection & Known Derivative Point

This should give you a set of possible solutions for A, B, and C. In summary, to fit a cosine function to two points with one of them being an inflection point and knowing the gradient at the second point, you can use the function and its derivative to find possible solutions for A, B, and C. However, the solution may not be unique and may require additional information.
adamharrybrow
I am trying to fit a cosine function to two points knowing that the first is an inflection point (e.g. a trough) and also knowing the gradient at the second. I have a gut feeling this has a unique solution it just needs the right identities and massaging but as of yet I haven't found the way:

Consider a cosine function:

y(x)=A.cos(B.x)+C

and derivative:

y'(x)=B.A.sin(B.x)

and given:

y(0)=Y0
y(X1)=Y1
y'(X1)=DY1

where X1, Y0,Y1 and DY1 are known constants

find the analytical solution for A,B and C

My boundless gratitude to anyone who can solve this.

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org

In general, I would expect that your solution is not unique.

Using the inflection point, you know where y''(x1)=0, this will give you several possible values for B. In addition, y(x1)=C fixes C.
For each value of B, you can then calculate the gradient at your second point and solve that for A.

1. How do I determine the period of a cosine function?

The period of a cosine function is equal to the distance between two consecutive inflection points. To find the period, you can use the formula T = 2π/b, where b is the coefficient of the x-term in the cosine function.

2. Can I fit a cosine function to any inflection point and known derivative point?

Yes, a cosine function can be fitted to any inflection point and known derivative point. However, the accuracy of the fit may vary depending on the complexity of the function and the number of points used.

3. How do I find the amplitude of a cosine function?

The amplitude of a cosine function is equal to half the distance between the maximum and minimum values of the function. It can be calculated using the formula A = (max-min)/2, where max and min are the maximum and minimum values of the function, respectively.

4. Can I use a calculator to fit a cosine function to inflection and known derivative points?

Yes, there are many online calculators and graphing tools available that can help you fit a cosine function to inflection and known derivative points. However, it is important to understand the process and assumptions behind the fitting process.

5. Why is it important to fit a cosine function to inflection and known derivative points?

Fitting a cosine function to inflection and known derivative points can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of a function. It can also help us make predictions and analyze data, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where cosine functions are commonly used to model periodic phenomena.