What Do the Lowercase Deltas Stand For?

In summary, the lecturer writes:- delta notation is used to denote small changes in a certain quantity- lower case delta is used because it is traditional in variational calculus- the variable is a function (rather than a vector) in this context, and using δ rather than partial derivative notation is traditional
Gloyn
Hi!

I've got a problem with understanding notation in this lecture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDy_Dccv4s&feature=BFa&list=PLF4D952FA51A49E66

For example, at 00:44:13, what does all lowercase deltas stand for? He writes:

δA=∫(∂L/∂q)δq + (∂L/(∂q dot))δ(q dot)

Why lowecase delta? What kind of notation is that?

There is kind of a brief explanation at 00:23:00 but I don't really get it. If someone can show that a bit more clearly that would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lower case delta is used to denote a small change in a certain quantity.

Deltas like that are traditional in variational calculus. As SteamKing says they are used to denote small changes. From your formula, it looks like A = action, L=L(q,qdot)=Lagrangian.

q=q(t) is a vector valued function, or a path. So δq denotes a small change in that path. Unlike traditional calculus, the variable is a function (rather than a vector). Using δ rather than partial derivative notation is traditional in this context.

"Calculus of Variations" by Gelfand is a very good introduction to this subject. It covers everything essential and, for a math text, is very accessible to non mathematicians (I think).

From google, I found:
http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/ch34.PDF
It might have enough basic information for you to understand your prof's lecture.

Oh, thanks, that seems to be really helpful. Notation seems to be more "user friendly". From that paper I assume, that Suskind (the lecturer) by writing:

(∂L/∂q)δq

meant

(∂L/∂q)(∂q/∂ε), for change in q as ε changes, right? But notation with lowercase delta is traditional for calculus of variation?

Sorry if what I ask seems to be lame questions but I am a selftaught getting ready for my university course and I have few loopholes in my knowledge of formal maths as I lern by maself.

Basically yes. Suppose you have a variation in q(t):
[itex] q_\epsilon(t) = q(t)+\epsilon \eta(t)[/itex]
Then [itex]\frac{\partial q}{\partial \epsilon}=\eta,[/itex] and that equation should be true for any choice of [itex] \eta [/itex]. So [itex]\delta q [/itex] is notation that stands for any possible choice of [itex] \eta [/itex].

Here is an analogy with single variable calculus. If f is differentiable at x, then you can write
[itex] f(x+h) - f(x) = f'(x)h + o(h) [/itex]
Or, you could write
[itex] \Delta f = f'(x)\Delta x + o(\Delta x)[/itex]
[itex] \Delta, h [/itex] here are analogous to [itex] \delta, \eta [/itex] above. The advantage of the delta notation is that it explains itself. As SteamKing said, it means a small change in some variable. You don't need to put it into context to know what it is supposed to mean (unlike h or [itex]\eta[/itex]).

1. What is the Delta notation problem?

The Delta notation problem is a mathematical concept used to represent the change or difference between two values. It is often denoted by the symbol Δ (delta) and is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics.

2. How is Delta notation used?

Delta notation is primarily used to represent the change in a variable or quantity. It is commonly used in equations and formulas to show the difference between the initial and final values of a variable.

3. Can Delta notation be negative?

Yes, Delta notation can be negative. It simply represents the difference between two values, so it can be positive, negative, or even zero depending on the context and values being compared.

4. What are some common applications of Delta notation?

Delta notation is commonly used in science and mathematics to represent changes in physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and energy. It is also used in economics to show changes in variables such as prices and demand.

5. How is Delta notation different from other mathematical notations?

Delta notation is unique in that it specifically represents the difference or change between two values. Other notations, such as sigma notation, are used for summations or series. Delta notation is also commonly used in scientific and economic contexts, while other notations may be used in different fields.