Are engineering assignments really so wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of education in undergraduate engineering programs and whether they are adequately preparing students for the real world. The figures used in a particular problem are criticized for not making sense in a real-world scenario. The problem of students not being able to apply their knowledge in practical situations is highlighted, and the frustration of having to train new engineers who lack practical skills is expressed. The possibility of obtaining a license to become a professional engineer without a degree is mentioned. The concern that the educational process may not be rigorous enough to produce competent engineers is also raised. Overall, the conversation suggests that there is a significant problem in industry and technology with the quality of education in engineering programs.
Moonbear said:
That happens in a lot of fields. Consider the M.D. who not only has 4 years of undergraduate work, but also another 4 years of med school, yet still needs at least another 2-3 years of residency to be competent enough to go off and work on their own.

Isn't that the point of having EIT exams (or whatever you call them now), to remind them that they are only engineers-in-training? :tongue: Seriously, engineering is one of the few fields I can think of where they blatantly tell graduates, via an exam, that they are only in training and not yet professionals. If I'm not mistaken, you need several years of work experience before you are permitted to take the PE exam; is that correct?

Again, this isn't a trait exclusive to recent engineering graduates. But, hey, I've done my share of knocking the arrogance of a few engineering students/grads, let me at 'em! (Okay, I was a bit younger then, but I used to have fun giving my roommate and friends a hard time; "So, when you take your ideal bridge built entirely in an ideal system out into the real world, how long before it collapses?") :tongue2: Anyway, anyone in the business of hiring recent grads should know this and be prepared to give them specific on-the-job training and mentoring. It's their boss' responsibility to make sure they are only given tasks suitable to their experience (or inexperience) and to ensure they are reminded of the limits of their experience/knowledge while they are still learning.

To become a licensed engineer here in michigan you are required to obtain an ABET accredited engineering degree, pass the fundamentals of engineering exam, obtain 4 years of experience as a practicing engineer (engineering grad school or industry), and then take the professional engineer exam.

The FE exam is 8 hours. 4 hours for general engi. knowledge (math, chem, thermo, circuits, statics/dynamics, cost analysis, ethics, etc), and the other 4 hours is on your particular concentraton (EE, ME, CE, etc)

The PE exam is similar, but is more focused on ethics, and practical knowledge that could only be gained from experience in the field.

When I graduate with my BSEE, I am going to take the FE exam (AND PASS IT THE FIRST TRY, UNLIKE MOST! :tongue: I plan on studying hard...it is a tricky test) get my foot in the door, bust my ass and get my experience, and I plan on going to grad school at night to get the MSECE while I do this.

I am also considering getting into the DEMS program (doc. of engineering in manufacturing systems...this is a very sought after degree in the area). It is also designed for working engineers to complete it during night school. I think I can do it in about 7 years part time. This of course, is IF I'm not burned out by then. :grumpy: :yuck: This Ph.D is designed for engis with masters degrees in engineering already.

Having a P.E., MSECE and Ph.D can't be all that bad, and I hope to get LOTS of "practical experience too.

Plus with a P.E. your job opportunities are not outsourced and having the P.E. makes you highly sought after. Plus the pay is much higher, but a lot of that extra income is lost since you have to pay for liability insurance when you become a PE.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
leright said:
To become a licensed engineer here in michigan you are required to obtain an ABET accredited engineering degree, pass the fundamentals of engineering exam, obtain 4 years of experience as a practicing engineer (engineering grad school or industry), and then take the professional engineer exam.

The FE exam is 8 hours. 4 hours for general engi. knowledge (math, chem, thermo, circuits, statics/dynamics, cost analysis, ethics, etc), and the other 4 hours is on your particular concentraton (EE, ME, CE, etc)

Is the FE exam the same as what used to be called the EIT exam?

Yes it is.