Current Shunt Amplifier Module

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a suitable amplifier module to use with a 50A 50mV current shunt for measuring pulsed DC currents up to 100 kHz. Some suggestions were to use an old-fashioned bench or lab amplifier or to make a custom instrumentation amplifier using an off-the-shelf OP amp chip. It was also mentioned that a similar device for thermocouples could possibly be used.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm designing a test setup that requires the use of a 50A 50mV current shunt to take measurements for a circuit which produces pulsed DC currents up to about 100 kHz or so (highest frequency component anyway). I would like to use this shunt here, but also amplify the signal 10x or 100x before feeding it into an oscilloscope.

I have been searching around online but was wondering if anyone knows of any nifty amplifier modules that are made for use with shunts? I know I could find a shunt IC and roll my own circuit but if there is already a ready-made solution out there, that would be a very good time-saver.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sort of thing used to be common in labs under the name bench amp or lab amp or similar.
Mine still works well after all these years. It has a low frequency point of 1Hz.

Old fashioned broadband (milli/micro) voltmeters and telecommunications field testing kit often had output terminals as well as input so you could use as an amp.

You would need to trawl the second hand/surplus outlets to find one.

Attachments

• benchamp.jpg
    benchamp.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
I don't think it would be hard to make a very suitable amplifier with an off the shelf OP amp chip. Are you after a particularly good noise performance?

This sounds like something similar to what is called the transmitter for thermocouples. Probably not a direct fit but it would be a place to start.

50mV and 100kHz is nothing special. Make a so-called "instrumentation amplifier" from three op amps.

Fun: for power meters, one company got a patent to use a copper resistor in the ratio that defines the gain of an op amp. This resistor was coupled thermally with the shunt, so it compensated the temperature drift. Public meanwhile.

What is a Current Shunt Amplifier Module?

A Current Shunt Amplifier Module is a device used in electrical circuits to measure the current flow through a shunt resistor. It amplifies the small voltage drop across the shunt resistor and outputs a larger voltage signal that can be easily measured and used for further analysis.

How does a Current Shunt Amplifier Module work?

The Current Shunt Amplifier Module works by using a low-value shunt resistor in series with the current being measured. The voltage drop across the shunt resistor is amplified by the module and output as a proportional voltage signal. This voltage signal can then be converted to a current reading using Ohm's Law.

What are the advantages of using a Current Shunt Amplifier Module?

Some advantages of using a Current Shunt Amplifier Module include high accuracy, low power consumption, and the ability to measure high currents without causing significant voltage drops. It also provides galvanic isolation, meaning the input and output signals are electrically isolated, reducing the risk of damage to other components.

What are some common applications of Current Shunt Amplifier Modules?

Current Shunt Amplifier Modules are commonly used in electronic devices, power supplies, battery management systems, and industrial monitoring and control systems. They are also used in automotive applications for measuring current in motors, batteries, and other components.

How do I choose the right Current Shunt Amplifier Module for my application?

When selecting a Current Shunt Amplifier Module, consider factors such as the current range, accuracy, voltage output, and power consumption required for your specific application. It is also important to ensure the module has the necessary features, such as galvanic isolation and overcurrent protection, for your particular needs.