Why _doesn't_ this scheme work?

• Thread starter sshai45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpetual motion using an imaginary car with a windmill on top connected to an "enginator." The participants debate whether this would be possible, and conclude that it would not be due to the principle of energy conservation and the drag caused by the windmill. They also suggest alternative methods of powering the car, such as using multiple windmills or taking advantage of natural wind. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider the role of energy in this thought experiment.
sshai45
Hi.

Imagine an imaginary car with a huge windmill on top connected to its enginator. Assume windmills and enginator are 100% efficient (not possible, I know, but it's a thought experiment). Perpetual motion? What exactly causes it to fail? (I.e. why won't it self-accelerate indefinitely) I'd be more interested in a hint, than a full answer. And by "what exactly causes it to fail", I'm _not_ looking for answers like "thermodynamics says there's no PMMs", etc. but the precise reasons (or a hint as to them, actually) why this particular scheme fails.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sshai45 said:
Imagine an imaginary car with a huge windmill on top connected to its enginator.

(how do you imagine an imaginary car? :confused:

i can only imagine a real car! :biggrin:)​

in other words, it's a car with a propeller?

Conservation of Energy.

sshai45 said:
Hi.

Imagine an imaginary car with a huge windmill on top connected to its enginator. Assume windmills and enginator are 100% efficient (not possible, I know, but it's a thought experiment). Perpetual motion? What exactly causes it to fail? (I.e. why won't it self-accelerate indefinitely) I'd be more interested in a hint, than a full answer. And by "what exactly causes it to fail", I'm _not_ looking for answers like "thermodynamics says there's no PMMs", etc. but the precise reasons (or a hint as to them, actually) why this particular scheme fails.

This answer is not helpful:
<Morbo> Windmills do not work that way! </morbo>

This answer is:
AJ Bentley said:
Conservation of Energy.

sshai45 said:
Imagine an imaginary car with a huge windmill on top connected to its enginator. Assume windmills and enginator are 100% efficient
Energy would be conserved but not gained. With a lossless system, the car could "coast" at constant speed. Perpetual motion usually refers to a device that somehow manages to gain energy, or at least gain energy sufficient to overcome losses, as opposed to an object being able to move at constant velocity when there are no external forces such as drag involved.

Actually, it would work, and it doesn't even have to be 100% efficient. We have been powering boats this way for millennia. It isn't terribly fast or reliable, but it is relatively cheap.

Energy conservation is not violated as long as any energy gained by the car is less than the energy lost by the wind. That is enough to prevent perpetual acceleration.

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
Actually, it would work, and it doesn't even have to be 100% efficient. We have been powering boats this way for millennia. It isn't terribly fast or reliable, but it is relatively cheap.

Energy conservation is not violated as long as any energy gained by the car is less than the energy lost by the wind. That is enough to prevent perpetual acceleration.

Er... - I think you miss-read the question.
The OP proposes a turbine on the roof of the car presumably powered by the slipstream. Power from the turbine driving the car wheels. It's a PMM, not a sail-boat-on-wheels.

DaleSpam said:

The OP didn't say it explicitly, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about a situation where there is no wind.

russ_watters said:
The OP didn't say it explicitly, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about a situation where there is no wind.

In that case, the OP should consider how the vehicle could even start moving from rest.
( Unless it has an internal motor as prime mover )

I think the OP is missing a trick. You put up several windmills, use one to drive the car, and the rest are pure profit.

sshai45 said:
Imagine an imaginary car with a huge windmill on top connected to its enginator. Assume windmills and enginator are 100% efficient (not possible, I know, but it's a thought experiment). Perpetual motion?
It's not perpetual motion if there is true wind. Then you can go at any speed directly upwind or downwind, if you are efficient enough. Here some fun experiments:
http://www.nalsa.org/DownWind.html

sshai45 said:
I'd be more interested in a hint, than a full answer. And by "what exactly causes it to fail", I'm _not_ looking for answers like "thermodynamics says there's no PMMs", etc. but the precise reasons (or a hint as to them, actually) why this particular scheme fails.
I guess you mean an argument that doesn't invoke the concept of energy? Assuming no true wind, infinite L/D ratio of the blades and ideal direct transmission to the wheels you can show with vectors, that there can't be any forward net force. Even if you pull it to a certain speed initially.

If you're wondering why it fails (assuming that you want to power the windmill purely from the slipstream, with no natural wind), the answer is that the wind generator causes drag, and the drag caused is always going to be greater than the output power could offset.

AJ Bentley said:
Er... - I think you miss-read the question.
The OP proposes a turbine on the roof of the car presumably powered by the slipstream. Power from the turbine driving the car wheels. It's a PMM, not a sail-boat-on-wheels.
russ_watters said:
You are probably both right. But perhaps my comments could encourage the OP to think about energy a bit. As long as he is pulling energy from the already moving air then energy is conserved and he has a functioning vehicle similar to a sailboat. Otherwise he has a complicated paperweight.

DaleSpam said:
You are probably both right. But perhaps my comments could encourage the OP to think about energy a bit. As long as he is pulling energy from the already moving air then energy is conserved and he has a functioning vehicle similar to a sailboat. Otherwise he has a complicated paperweight.
I think the OP is looking for an explanation not based on energy conservation (which is a rather abstract "reason"), but for reasons more specific to the proposed machine. For a simple transmission you can explain it with force vectors, without invoking energy directly. The only assumption is that the aerodynamic force cannot have an angle greater than 90° to the relative airflow. But how to prove that? I guess momentum conservation is at least implicitly assumed here.

1. Why doesn't this scheme work?

There could be a variety of reasons why a scheme may not work. It could be due to technical limitations, inadequate planning or execution, lack of resources, or unforeseen challenges. It's important to thoroughly analyze the situation and identify the root cause in order to address the issue effectively.

2. What are some common reasons why schemes fail?

Some common reasons for scheme failures include poor communication and coordination, insufficient funding, lack of stakeholder buy-in, unrealistic expectations, and inadequate evaluation and monitoring. It's crucial to identify these factors and address them in order to increase the chances of success.

3. How can we prevent schemes from failing?

To prevent schemes from failing, it's important to have a well-defined plan and clear objectives from the start. Proper communication and coordination among all stakeholders is also crucial. Regular evaluation and monitoring can help identify any issues early on and allow for adjustments to be made. Adequate resources and support are also necessary for the successful implementation of a scheme.

4. Is there a specific formula for ensuring scheme success?

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all formula for ensuring scheme success. Each scheme is unique and may require different approaches and strategies. However, having a strong foundation with clear objectives, effective communication, adequate resources, and continuous evaluation can greatly increase the chances of success.

5. What should be done if a scheme is not working as intended?

If a scheme is not working as intended, it's important to assess the situation and identify the root cause of the issue. This could involve gathering feedback from stakeholders, conducting a thorough evaluation, or seeking expert advice. Once the issue has been identified, appropriate measures can be taken to address it and improve the success of the scheme. It's important to be open to making necessary changes and adjustments in order to achieve the desired results.