Trig Proof: Proving cos and sin of pi/12 using m and n values

In summary, to prove that cos\frac{\pi}{12} = m and sin\frac{\pi}{12} = n, where m = \frac{\sqrt{3} + 1}{2\sqrt{2}} and n = \frac{\sqrt{3} -1}{2\sqrt{2}}, use the half angle formulas to simplify \sqrt{\frac{\sqrt{3}+2}{4}} to \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{2\sqrt{2}}. To find the fourth roots of 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})), use the fact that there are four fourth roots, and that the one given can
phospho
prove that [itex] cos\frac{\pi}{12} = m[/itex] and [itex] sin\frac{\pi}{12} = n, [/itex] where [itex] m = \frac{\sqrt{3} + 1}{2\sqrt{2}} [/itex] and [itex] n = \frac{\sqrt{3} -1}{2\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

could anyone give me a start on how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Half angle formulas.

micromass said:
Half angle formulas.

okay, using [itex] cos^2\frac{\pi}{12} = \dfrac{cos(\frac{\pi}{6}) + 1}{2} [/itex] I get [itex] \sqrt{\dfrac{\sqrt{3} + 2}{4}} [/itex] how could I simplify this to what they ask for (I see it's the same)

You just got to prove that

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\sqrt{3}+2}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{2\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

start by squaring both sides.

micromass said:
You just got to prove that

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\sqrt{3}+2}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{2\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

start by squaring both sides.

thanks, I got it -

anychance you could help with the next part?

Find in terms of m and n, in the form a + ib, where a,b are real, the fourth roots of [itex] 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]

I started by saying
[itex] z^4 = 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]
[itex] z = \sqrt{2}(cos(\frac{\pi}{12}+ 2k\pi) + isin(\frac{\pi}{12} + 2k\pi)) [/itex]

now I get the first one easily when k = 0, but what about when k = 1, and what not, how do I get it in terms of m and n?

edit: would it be right in saying:

when k = 1, [itex] z = \sqrt{2}(cos(\frac{5\pi}{12}) + isin(\frac{5\pi}{12})) [/itex] which is [itex] \sqrt{2}(m + in)^5 = ...? [/itex] I could expand this using the binomial expansion but it seems unnecessary

Last edited:
hi phospho! :smile:
phospho said:
Find in terms of m and n, in the form a + ib, where a,b are real, the fourth roots of [itex] 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]

now I get the first one easily when k = 0, but what about when k = 1, and what not …

if you have one fourth-root of a number, what are the other fourth-roots? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi phospho! :smile:

if you have one fourth-root of a number, what are the other fourth-roots? :wink:

eh :\

phospho said:
[itex] z^4 = 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]
[itex] z = \sqrt{2}(cos(\frac{\pi}{12}+ 2k\pi) + isin(\frac{\pi}{12} + 2k\pi)) [/itex]
The 2kπ terms are wrong. Try again.

haruspex said:
The 2kπ terms are wrong. Try again.

yup, silly mistake, got it thanks.

1. What is a trigonometric proof?

A trigonometric proof is a mathematical method used to show that a trigonometric identity or equation is true. It involves using known identities and properties of trigonometric functions to manipulate and simplify expressions until both sides of the equation are equal.

2. How do you prove cos(pi/12) using m and n values?

To prove cos(pi/12), we can use the double angle formula for cos(2x) and substitute pi/6 for x. This gives us cos(pi/12) = cos(pi/6)/2 - sin(pi/6)/2. We can then use the Pythagorean identity (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1) to find the values of cos(pi/6) and sin(pi/6). Finally, we can substitute these values into the original equation to prove the identity.

3. What are the m and n values for proving cos(pi/12)?

The m and n values for proving cos(pi/12) are m = sqrt(3)/2 and n = 1/2. These values can be found by using the Pythagorean identity and solving for cos(pi/6) and sin(pi/6).

4. Can you use a different method to prove cos(pi/12)?

Yes, there are multiple methods for proving trigonometric identities. Another method for proving cos(pi/12) is by using the half angle formula for cos(x/2) and substituting pi/6 for x. This will also lead to the same values for m and n and ultimately prove the identity.

5. Why is proving trigonometric identities important?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated to simplify complex expressions. It also helps in solving trigonometric equations and in applications of trigonometry in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.