Prove that the rᵗʰ term in the nᵗʰ row of Pascal's triangle is nCr.

In summary, the formula for the rᵗʰ term in the nᵗʰ row of Pascal's triangle is nCr, where n represents the row and r represents the term. One approach to proving this is through induction, by showing that the coefficients of (x + y)^1 are 1 and 1 and then assuming it is true for (x + y)^n and showing it also works for (x + y)^(n+1). Another possible approach is to use the definition of Pascal's triangle, which involves summing pairs of adjacent entries in one row to generate the next.
karspider
Prove that the rᵗʰ term in the nᵗʰ row of Pascal's triangle is nCr.

nCr formula: n!/r!(n-r)!

I've tried everything I can but I don't know how to approach this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried induction?

You might try (x + y)^1 show that the coefficients are 1 and 1; and then assume it's true for (x+y)^n and show if that is true then it works for the row (x + y) ^(n+1).

I haven't tried that; but it would be my first try.

I would go with JimRoo's first suggestion, induction. You haven't said what definition you have for the terms in Pascal's triangle. I assume it's summing pairs of adjacent entries in one row to generate the next. Use that.

1. How is Pascal's triangle related to combinations and permutations?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. This triangle can be used to calculate combinations and permutations, which are ways of counting how many different ways a set of objects can be arranged or chosen.

2. What does nCr represent in Pascal's triangle?

nCr represents the combination of n objects taken r at a time. In other words, it represents the number of ways you can choose r objects from a set of n objects without regard to the order in which they are chosen.

3. How do you use Pascal's triangle to find the rᵗʰ term in the nᵗʰ row?

To find the rᵗʰ term in the nᵗʰ row of Pascal's triangle, you would use the formula nCr = (n-1)C(r-1) + (n-1)C(r). This can be interpreted as taking the sum of the two numbers directly above the desired term in the previous row.

4. Can you prove that the nCr formula works for any number in Pascal's triangle?

Yes, the nCr formula can be proven using mathematical induction. By starting with the base case of n=1 and r=1, and then showing that the formula holds for the next row and term, we can conclude that it holds for all subsequent rows and terms in Pascal's triangle.

5. How is Pascal's triangle used in probability?

Pascal's triangle can be used in probability to calculate the chances of certain outcomes occurring. For example, if you roll a die 5 times and want to know the probability of getting exactly 3 heads, you can use the nCr formula to find the number of ways this can happen and then divide it by the total number of possible outcomes (6^5). This can also be used in more complex probability problems involving combinations and permutations.