How many ways can French and Spanish books be arranged on a shelf?

In summary, there are 7!x7! ways to arrange 7 different French books and 7 different Spanish books on a shelf, where books of the same language must be grouped together, and 7C1X7C1 X 6C1X6C1 X 5C1X5C1 X 4C1X4C1 X 3C1X3C1 X 2C1X2C1 X 1C1X1C1 ways to arrange them if French and Spanish books must alternate in the grouping, beginning with a French book.
mtingt

Homework Statement

there are 7 different french books and 7 different Spanish books, how many ways are there to arrange them on a shelf
a. books of the same language must be group together, French on left and Spanish on Right?
b. French and Spanish books must alternate in the grouping, beginning with a French book?

I tried doing 7!x7! for both of them but i don't think i am right?

I have no idea how to approach this

Physics news on Phys.org
mtingt said:
I tried doing 7!x7! for both of them but i don't think i am right?
Sounds right to me.

for the first one 7!x7! seems right, but for the 2nd one I think (not sure...!) it's :

7C1X7C1 X 6C1X6C1 X 5C1X5C1 X 4C1X4C1 X 3C1X3C1 X 2C1X2C1 X 1C1X1C1

MadAtom said:
for the first one 7!x7! seems right, but for the 2nd one I think (not sure...!) it's :

I think an argument could go: there are 14 choices for the first book, (French or Spanish). There are then 7 choices for the next book (If first was French, this one must be Spanish), then 6 choices for next, (has to be French), then 6 choices for next (has to be Spanish)...and so on. In this Q, the French book is first so what you wrote is correct.

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
I think an argument could go: there are 14 choices for the first book, (French or Spanish). There are then 7 choices for the next book (If first was French, this one must be Spanish), then 6 choices for next, (has to be French), then 6 choices for next (has to be Spanish)...and so on. In this Q, the French book is first so what you wrote is correct.

Another argument: for each arrangement of the French books, leave a space between successive books and fill those spaces with the Spanish books, one book per space.

RGV

Last edited:
MadAtom said:
for the 2nd one I think it's :
How is that different from 7!x7!?
The two obviously have the same answer. Either way, there is a fixed set of 7 positions that can be taken by the French books, and another fixed set of 7 that can be taken by the Spanish, independently.

haruspex said:
How is that different from 7!x7!?
The two obviously have the same answer. Either way, there is a fixed set of 7 positions that can be taken by the French books, and another fixed set of 7 that can be taken by the Spanish, independently.

It's not different; it's just another argument that the OP may, or may not, prefer.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
It's not different; it's just another argument that the OP may, or may not, prefer.
RGV
I was replying to MadAtom, who wrote:
the first one 7!x7! seems right, but for the 2nd one I think (not sure...!) it's :​
Seems to me MadAtom implied 7!x7! was wrong for the second question.

haruspex said:
Seems to me MadAtom implied 7!x7! was wrong for the second question.

I thought so, but the result is the same... sorry.

1. What is probability arranging books?

Probability arranging books is a mathematical concept that involves determining the likelihood of a particular arrangement of books occurring by chance. It is often used in statistics and data analysis to understand patterns and make predictions.

2. How is probability arranging books calculated?

The calculation of probability arranging books involves determining the total number of possible arrangements and dividing it by the total number of desired outcomes. The formula for this is: P(A) = number of desired outcomes / total number of possible outcomes.

3. What factors affect the probability of arranging books?

The probability of arranging books can be affected by several factors, including the total number of books, the number of different types or categories of books, and any specific order or criteria for arranging the books.

4. Can probability arranging books be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, probability arranging books can be applied in various real-life situations, such as organizing a library, arranging products on a store shelf, or predicting the outcomes of events based on different arrangements.

5. How can understanding probability arranging books be beneficial?

Understanding probability arranging books can be beneficial in making informed decisions and predictions, identifying patterns and trends, and organizing data in a meaningful way. It is also a fundamental concept in many fields, including science, business, and finance.