Progressions and series prove this

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
Now I understand it completely. In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4...+x_{n-1}x_n=(n-1)x_1x_n when x_1,x_2,x_3...x_n are in harmonic progression. The solution involves relating the terms to an arithmetic progression and using the common difference to simplify the equation. The conversation also addresses the importance of writing out acronyms and clarifying mathematical terms.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3...x_n[/itex] are in H.P. then prove that [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4...+x_{n-1}x_n=(n-1)x_1x_n[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3...x_n[/itex] are in H.P. therefore
[itex] \frac{1}{x_1},\frac{1}{x_2},\frac{1}{x_3}...,\frac{1}{x_n}[/itex] will be in A.P. Now common difference of this A.P.
[itex]d=\dfrac{\frac{1}{x_n}-\frac{1}{x_1}}{n-1} \\
x_1x_n=\dfrac{x_1-x_n}{d(n-1)}\\
(n-1)x_1x_n=\dfrac{x_1-x_n}{d} [/itex]

Looks like I've arrived at the R.H.S. But what about LHS?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3...x_n[/itex] are in Harmonic Progression. then prove that [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4...+x_{n-1}x_n=(n-1)x_1x_n[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3...x_n[/itex] are in H.P. therefore
[itex] \frac{1}{x_1},\frac{1}{x_2},\frac{1}{x_3}...,\frac{1}{x_n}[/itex] will be in A.P. Now common difference of this A.P.
[itex]d=\dfrac{\frac{1}{x_n}-\frac{1}{x_1}}{n-1} \\
x_1x_n=\dfrac{x_1-x_n}{d(n-1)}\\

This the second one of your problems I've worked on. Just so you know, you need to write out your acronyms. No one has ANY clue what you mean if you don't do it. I was tempted to write something about Hewlett-Packard. :tongue2:

Alright. [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4+...+x_{n-1}x_{n}[/itex] is the same thing as saying [itex]x_{1}(\frac{x_{1}}{1+d}) + (\frac{x_{1}}{1+d})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+2d})+...+(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-2)})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-1)})[/itex].

You can probably figure it out from here. :wink:

Mandelbroth said:
This the second one of your problems I've worked on. Just so you know, you need to write out your acronyms. No one has ANY clue what you mean if you don't do it. I was tempted to write something about Hewlett-Packard. :tongue2:

Alright. [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4+...+x_{n-1}x_{n}[/itex] is the same thing as saying [itex]x_{1}(\frac{x_{1}}{1+d}) + (\frac{x_{1}}{1+d})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+2d})+...+(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-2)})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-1)})[/itex].

You can probably figure it out from here. :wink:

Hey, do you see my title. It says 'Progressions and series prove this'? And I don't understand how can you relate Hewlett-Packard with progressions and series?:confused:It's not even a mathematical term. OK I will do expand my acronyms in future.

Returning to my problem I did not understand how did you write [itex]x_2=\dfrac{x_1}{1+d}[/itex] and so on.

I get [itex]x_2=\dfrac{x_1}{1+x_1d}[/itex] Looks like you missed the x1 in each of your denominator.

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
Hey, do you see my title. It says 'Progressions and series prove this'? And I don't understand how can you relate Hewlett-Packard with progressions and series?:confused:It's not even a mathematical term. OK I will do expand my acronyms in future.

Returning to my problem I did not understand how did you write [itex]x_2=\dfrac{x_1}{1+d}[/itex] and so on.

Hint: if
[tex]\frac{1}{x_i} - \frac{1}{x_{i+1}} = r [/tex] for i = 1,2, ..., n-1 we have
[tex]x_2 - x_1 = r x_1 x_2, \: x_3 - x_2 = r \, x_2 x_3, \ldots .[/tex] What does that give you?

RGV

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
You know that d = 1/x2-1/x1, right? So what does that turn into for x1x2?

Ray Vickson said:
Hint: if
[tex]\frac{1}{x_i} - \frac{1}{x_{i+1}} = r [/tex] for i = 1,2, ..., n-1 we have
[tex]x_2 - x_1 = r x_1 x_2, \: x_3 - x_2 = r \, x_2 x_3, \ldots .[/tex] What does that give you?

RGV

Thanks. It solved my problem.

What is the purpose of proving progressions and series?

The purpose of proving progressions and series is to provide a mathematical proof for the validity and accuracy of these mathematical concepts. By proving the properties and behaviors of progressions and series, we can better understand and apply them in various fields of science and mathematics.

What are the common methods used to prove progressions and series?

There are various methods used to prove progressions and series, including mathematical induction, direct proof, and proof by contradiction. These methods involve logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the truth of a given statement.

How do progressions and series relate to real-world applications?

Progressions and series are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating compound interest, predicting population growth, and analyzing data in statistics. They provide a way to model and understand patterns and trends in various phenomena.

What are some key properties of progressions and series?

Some key properties of progressions and series include the common difference or ratio between terms, the sum of a finite or infinite number of terms, and the convergence or divergence of a series. These properties play a crucial role in proving the validity of progressions and series.

Can progressions and series be proven to be infinite?

Yes, it is possible to prove that certain progressions and series are infinite. For example, the harmonic series (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ...) can be proven to be infinite using the divergence test. However, not all progressions and series are infinite, and this can be proven as well using various methods.