Exploring Complex Numbers: Roots and Spreading Patterns

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of a complex number and the differences in how they are spread out depending on the given problem. It also mentions a method for finding the roots without using complex numbers.
phospho
say we had a complex number [itex] w^4 [/itex] such that [itex] w^4 = -8 +i8\sqrt{3} [/itex] so [itex] w = 2(cos(\frac{\pi}{6} + \frac{k\pi}{2}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{6} + \frac{k\pi}{2})) [/itex] where k is an integer

in a question I was asked to find the roots of w, as there will be 4 my first assumption is that the roots would be spread throughout the argand diagram, i.e the first root would be [itex] \sqrt{3} + i [/itex] and the second would be [itex] -\sqrt{3} + i [/itex] and so on till I get the 4 roots. However this is not the case, as if I substitute values for k, I get the roots to be [itex] \sqrt{3} + i, -1 + \sqrt{3}i, 1 - \sqrt{3}i, -\sqrt{3} - i [/itex] which is actually correct.

However in the question below, the roots do seem to be spread evenly:

Prove that [itex] cos\frac{\pi}{12} = m[/itex] and [itex] sin\frac{\pi}{12} = n, [/itex] where [itex] m = \frac{\sqrt{3} + 1}{2\sqrt{2}} [/itex] and [itex] n = \frac{\sqrt{3} -1}{2\sqrt{2}} [/itex]
Hence find in terms of m and n, in the form a + ib, where a,b are real, the fourth roots of [itex] 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]

the first root is [itex] z = \sqrt{2}m + i\sqrt{2}n [/itex] second [itex] -\sqrt{2}m + i\sqrt{2}n [/itex] and so on...

why is it in one question the 4 roots are not spread evenly and I have to adjust k to find the roots, while in the other they are spread evenly. How do I spot whether or not they will be spread evenly?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
hi phospho! :smile:

the fourth (or nth) roots of any number w4 (or wn)will be w times any fourth (or nth) root of 1 :wink:

ie w, iw, i2w (= -w), and i3w (= -iw)

(so this is wrong …)
phospho said:
Hence find in terms of m and n, in the form a + ib, where a,b are real, the fourth roots of [itex] 4(cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + isin(\frac{\pi}{3})) [/itex]

the first root is [itex] z = \sqrt{2}m + i\sqrt{2}n [/itex] second [itex] -\sqrt{2}m + i\sqrt{2}n [/itex]

tiny-tim said:
hi phospho! :smile:

the fourth (or nth) roots of any number w4 (or wn)will be w times any fourth (or nth) root of 1 :wink:

ie w, iw, i2w (= -w), and i3w (= -iw)

(so this is wrong …)

I have the answers in front of me, and they have the same roots that I gave above.

Why don't you simply halve cosine twice? To be more precise, [itex]\cos(\pi/3)=1/2[/itex] and we have the half-angle formula [itex]\cos^2(x)=\frac{\cos(2x)+1}{2}[/itex]. Applying it twice should give you [itex]\cos(\pi/12)[/itex], without the need of complex numbers at all.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part, written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i.e. the square root of -1).

2. How do complex numbers differ from real numbers?

Unlike real numbers, complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part. Real numbers can be represented on a number line, while complex numbers are typically represented on a complex plane.

3. How do you find the roots of a complex number?

To find the roots of a complex number, you can use the formula z = √r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus (or absolute value) of the complex number and θ is the argument (or angle) of the complex number.

4. How can complex numbers be used to represent spreading patterns?

Complex numbers can be used to represent spreading patterns through their polar form, where the modulus of the complex number represents the magnitude of the spread and the argument represents the direction of the spread. This can be useful in fields such as biology, physics, and economics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and signal processing. They are used to solve problems involving alternating current circuits, vibrations and waves, and quantum mechanics, among other things.