U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)

• Thread starter timb00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses embedding the Lie algebra of U(n) into the Lie algebra of O(2n) and the resulting embedding of U(n) in O(2n). The discussion also mentions the natural identification of C with R² and how this leads to an embedding of Mat(n,C) in Mat(2n,R). The conversation ends with a question about whether there exists an element of O(2n) such that the adjoint action of U on the element is an element of the Lie algebra of O(2n). It is concluded that the answer is no, but an explanation is requested.
timb00
Hi everybody,

I hope that I chose the right Forum for my question. As the title might suggest, I am interested in the embedding of the Lie algebra of U(n) into the Lie Algebra of O(2n). In connection with this it would be interesting to understand the resulting embedding of U(n) in O(2n). I tried to find something in the literature, but I didn't succeed.

Since the application is far away I can't really explain the reason for my question. Eventually I start with a matrix which is an Element of Lie(U(n)) and want to understand how this matrix is embedded in Lie(O(2n)).

Here O(2n) means the the symmetry group of a scalar product on a real vector space of dimension 2n.

Maybe someone of you knows a good book or a publication that is related to this embedding and explains it.

Thanks for reading and perhaps for answering,

Timb00

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello timb00. This folllows from the natural identification of C with R² that sends a+ib to (a,b). First extend this to an isomorphism (of real vector spaces) btw C^n with R^2n. Then through conjugation by this iso, endomorphisms of C^n can be identified with endomorphisms of R^2n.* This defines an embedding of Mat(n,C) in Mat (2n,R). It is not hars to show that U(n) lands precisely in GL(n,C) n O(2n,R) = GL(n,C) n SP(2n,R) = O(2n) n Sp(2n,R). Therefor as a lie subalgebra of o(2n,R), u(n) is o(2n,R) n sp(2n,R).

*You should find that a complex nxn matrix with ij-th entry is a+ib corresponds to the real 2nx2n matrix obtained by remplacing a+ib by the 2x2 sub matrix

a -b
b a

P.S. A source for this stuff is the symplectic geometry books by McDuff-Salamon and by Anna Cana da Silva. The later is free online on her website.

Last edited:
Hi,

thank you quasar987 and dextercioby for your replay. I will have a look on the sources you recommended to me. Till now I only though about it using Dynkin diagrams.

Maybe a last question. If u is an element of the lie algebra of U(n), say an n x n skew hermitian matrix. Exist there an element of O of O(2n) such that the adjoint action Ad(O)u = OuO^T is an element of the lie algebra of O(2n)?

During I am writting it, I think the answer is: No! But maybe someone has an explanation why ?

n

Hello Timb00n,

I can provide some insight on your question. The embedding of the Lie algebra of U(n) into the Lie algebra of O(2n) is a well-studied topic in mathematics. It is known as the Cartan embedding, named after the French mathematician Élie Cartan who first studied it in the early 1900s.

The resulting embedding of U(n) in O(2n) can be understood in terms of the root system of O(2n). The root system is a set of vectors that determine the structure of the Lie algebra. In the case of O(2n), the root system consists of n short roots and n long roots, which correspond to the positive and negative roots of the Lie algebra.

The embedding of U(n) in O(2n) can be described in terms of these roots. The short roots of O(2n) correspond to the roots of U(n), while the long roots correspond to the negative roots of U(n). This means that the Lie algebra of U(n) is embedded in the Lie algebra of O(2n) as a subalgebra.

As for literature, there are many books and publications that discuss this embedding in detail. Some good resources include "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by Howard Georgi and "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian C. Hall.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides a starting point for further exploration. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the definition of a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that retains the same structure and operations as the original group. In other words, the elements of the subgroup can be combined using the same operations as the larger group.

2. How is a subgroup related to the parent group?

A subgroup is a part of the larger parent group, and it shares some properties and elements with the parent group. However, a subgroup may also have its own unique elements and properties that are not present in the parent group.

3. What is the significance of "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)" in mathematics?

The notation "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)" refers to the subgroup of unitary matrices of size n that is contained within the orthogonal group of size 2n. This is significant in mathematics because it represents the relationship between two important groups and how one can be embedded within the other.

4. How does "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)" relate to linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the unitary group U(n) and the orthogonal group O(2n) are both important groups that are used to describe and manipulate matrices. The notation "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)" indicates that U(n) is a subset of O(2n) and that the operations and properties of U(n) can be applied to matrices in O(2n).

5. Can you provide an example of "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)"?

One example of "U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)" is the special unitary group SU(2), which is a subgroup of the special orthogonal group SO(4). This means that all elements of SU(2) are also elements of SO(4), and the operations and properties of SU(2) can be applied to matrices in SO(4).