Projective and Affine varieties

• Thread starter hlfmanhoffdor
  • Start date
In summary, Harris says that if X is a projective variety, then its the zero locus of the f_α(z_1, ..., z_n) = F_α(1,z_1, ...,z_n) = F_α(Z_0, ..., Z_n) / Zd_0 where d is the degree of F_α and z_i are the local coords (z_i = Z_i/Z_0).
hlfmanhoffdor
I'm having a little trouble seeing something Harris says in his intro book on alg. geom. Say X is contained in P^n. Harris says that X is a projective variety iff X intersect U_i is an affine variety for each i=0,...,n, where U_i are the points [Z_0 , Z_1 , ... , Z_n] in P^n with Z_i =/ 0. I'm a little confused about how he claims this:

If X is a projective variety, say its the locus of the homogeneous polynomials F_α(Z_0, ..., Z_n). Say we define on A^n the polynomials f_α(z_1, ..., z_n) = F_α(1,z_1, ...,z_n) = F_α(Z_0, ..., Z_n) / Zd_0 where d is the degree of F_α and z_i are the local coords (z_i = Z_i/Z_0). Then he claims the zero locus of the f_α is X intersect U_0. Now since there's a bijection between U_0 and A^n, are we just identifying X intersect U_0 with its image via the local coordinates, meaning its an affine variety too?

For the other direction, I don't really see this. If for example X intersect U_0 is an affine variety, say its the locus of f_α(z_1, ..., z_n),then we can define homogeneous polynomials F_α(Z_0, ... Z_n) = Zd_0 f_α(Z_1/Z_0,..., Z_n/Z_0) where d = deg(f_α). But then is the zero locus of the F_α just X?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give the relevant page number in the book?

hlfmanhoffdor said:
For the other direction, I don't really see this. If for example X intersect U_0 is an affine variety, say its the locus of f_α(z_1, ..., z_n),then we can define homogeneous polynomials F_α(Z_0, ... Z_n) = Zd_0 f_α(Z_1/Z_0,..., Z_n/Z_0) where d = deg(f_α). But then is the zero locus of the F_α just X?

No, of course not. The entire set [itex]\mathbb{P}^n\setminus U_0[/itex] would also be in the zero locus of the [itex]F_\alpha[/itex] since it is easy to see that if [itex]Z_0=0[/itex], then [itex]F_\alpha(0,Z_1,...,Z_n)=0[/itex].

So you obtain [itex]X\cup (\mathbb{P}^n\setminus U_0)[/itex]. If you want to obtain just X, then you need to perform the same procedure on the [itex]U_1,...,U_n[/itex]. This will give you extra polynomials. The zero locus of everything will then be X.

Ooh, I see now! So the roots of the polynomial F_α are just (X intersect U_0) union (P^n \ U_0) = X union (P^n \U_0). Constructing similar polynomials for U_1, ..., U_n, we have that the zero locus for these polynomials is just the intersection of all the X union (P^n \U_i), which is just X. Cool! Thanks, that was helpful. (This was on page 5 in his book).

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between projective and affine varieties?

Projective and affine varieties are both types of algebraic varieties, which are geometric objects defined by polynomial equations. The main difference between them is their dimensionality. Projective varieties have an additional point at infinity, making them one dimension higher than affine varieties. This point at infinity helps to resolve issues with singularities and allows for a more complete understanding of the variety.

2. How are projective and affine varieties related?

Projective and affine varieties are closely related through the concept of projective closure. Every affine variety can be embedded into a projective variety by adding the missing point at infinity. This allows for a natural correspondence between the affine and projective versions of a variety.

3. What is the role of homogeneous coordinates in projective varieties?

Homogeneous coordinates are an essential tool in the study of projective varieties. They allow for the representation of points at infinity and help to simplify computations involving projective varieties. Additionally, homogeneous coordinates are also necessary for the use of projective transformations, which are crucial for understanding the geometry of projective varieties.

4. Can projective varieties be studied using algebraic geometry?

Yes, projective varieties are a fundamental topic in algebraic geometry. They are studied using techniques such as sheaf theory, cohomology, and intersection theory. Projective varieties also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as topology and complex analysis.

5. How are projective and affine varieties used in applications?

Projective and affine varieties have many applications in fields such as computer vision, coding theory, and cryptography. In computer vision, projective geometry is used to model the 3D world from 2D images. In coding theory, projective varieties play a role in constructing error-correcting codes. And in cryptography, projective varieties are used to design secure encryption algorithms.