How to Adjust HDMI Settings for Optimal TV Viewing on Win7 Laptop

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has successfully connected their Windows laptop to a 73 inch projection TV using an HDMI cable. However, there is a big black border around the desktop and the image does not fill the screen. The solution is to change the resolution to 1920x1080, and if that option is not available, update the drivers for the graphics card and TV. It is also important to make sure that the same screen is being viewed on both the computer's display and the TV.
biferi
I just connecred my win laptop to my 73 inch projection TV.

It uses an HDMI cable and shows the desktop just good in the center of the TV screen.

But it has a big black border around the desktop.

How do I get it to fit the TV screen?

The image is big but does not fill the screen.

The black border is about 5 inch thick.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Change the resolution to 1920x1080.

This isn't engineering...moving.

I can only move the slider up to
1366x768?

Are you viewing the same screen on the computer's display and the TV? If they are different, they can't be the same (Zen wisdom...). You might be able to use your TV remote's zoom/format feature to zoom in on the picture, essentially changing the resolution of the TV.

russ_watters said:
Are you viewing the same screen on the computer's display and the TV? If they are different, they can't be the same (Zen wisdom...).

Yep. Been there, done that. :approve:

I had a similar problem recently and after updating the drivers for my graphics card and the TV it worked just fine.

What are HDMI settings?

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) settings refer to the specific configurations and adjustments that can be made to optimize the display and audio quality when connecting a laptop to a TV via an HDMI cable.

How do I adjust HDMI settings on my Win7 laptop?

To adjust HDMI settings on a Windows 7 laptop, you can go to the Control Panel and select "Display." From there, click on "Adjust resolution" and then choose the display you want to adjust. You can then select "Advanced settings" and click on the "Monitor" tab to make adjustments specific to your HDMI connection.

What are the optimal HDMI settings for TV viewing?

The optimal HDMI settings for TV viewing will vary depending on your specific TV and laptop model, as well as personal preferences. However, some general recommendations include setting the resolution to match the TV's native resolution, adjusting the refresh rate to 60Hz, and enabling any available picture enhancements or color settings.

Why is it important to adjust HDMI settings for TV viewing?

Adjusting HDMI settings for TV viewing is important because it can significantly impact the quality of your viewing experience. Without proper adjustments, the picture and audio may not be optimized for your specific TV and laptop, resulting in a less enjoyable viewing experience.

Can I adjust HDMI settings on any laptop?

Most modern laptops are equipped with HDMI ports and allow for adjustments to HDMI settings. However, it is always best to consult your laptop's user manual or do some research online to ensure that your specific model supports HDMI adjustments.