Proof of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that in quantum mechanics, if two operators do not commute, we cannot measure both simultaneously. This correlation exists because of the behavior of Mother Nature. The proof for the generalized version can be found in various books on quantum mechanics. The commutator in the uncertainty equation is specified with a negative sign to indicate anti-commutators. The equation for the uncertainty principle can be understood visually for simple configurations and it is healthy and instructive to do so. The more time we have to measure a signal, the more accurate our determination of its frequency will be.
Ed Quanta
Is there any mathematical or physical proof or derivation of Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle out there? Can someone send me a link to one or provide a proof if it isn't too complicated? I know that in quantum mechanics if two operators don't commute then we can't measure both of these simulataneously. Why does this correlation exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
I know that in quantum mechanics if two operators don't commute then we can't measure both of these simulataneously. Why does this correlation exist?

Because Mother Nature has chosen to behave like this

marlon

Besides, check out the original manuscript in my last entry of my journal

marlon

I don't really follow this derivation. Why does he have to show that (deltaA')^2=(deltaA')^2?

And how do we know |<A'psi,B'psi>-<B'psi,A'psi>|=2|Im<A'psi,B'psi>|

The nonmathematized version (the one involving wave-mechanics formalism) is in the beginning of Davydov's book,IIRC.Anyway,every book on QM has the proof for the generalized version:

[tex] \Delta \mathcal{A}\cdot\Delta \mathcal{B}\geq\frac{1}{2} |\langle[\hat{A},\hat{B}]_{-}\rangle _{|\psi\rangle}| [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
Daniel, why is there a minus sign as the subscript of the commutators? I never understood that.

Because it is the commutator...?
[tex] [\hat{A},\hat{B}]_{-}=:\hat{A}\hat{B}-\hat{B}\hat{A} [/tex]

and that's how it's elegantly specified the fact that one speaks about commutators of (linear) operators...

Daniel.

Oh... OK. I thought the commutator automatically implied a negative sign, and we have the anti-commutator for the version with the plus sign. Ok never mind about that.

I have another question though. If we reverse the order of the commutator, i.e.

[tex][\hat{A},\hat{B}] = -[\hat{B}, \hat{A}][/tex], we get a minus sign in the uncertainty. But is that of any significance if the product of the variances is negative as opposed to positive?

If you haven't seen so far,there's a modulus after performing the average of the commutator on the (pure) quantum state [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex]

Daniel.

Oh yes, of course. Sorry, it's 04:30AM here in England, and my mind's not thinking straight!

Ed Quanta said:
And how do we know |<A'psi,B'psi>-<B'psi,A'psi>|=2|Im<A'psi,B'psi>|?

If I can understand this, I understand the derivation of the Uncertainty Principle. But I can't make sense of this one line in the original link provided by Marlon.

Ed Quanta said:
If I can understand this, I understand the derivation of the Uncertainty Principle. But I can't make sense of this one line in the original link provided by Marlon.

Generally:

[tex]\langle \psi|\phi \rangle = \langle \phi|\psi \rangle^*[/tex]
where the * denotes complex conjugation.

So

[tex]\langle A\psi|B \psi \rangle=\langle B\psi|A \psi \rangle^*[/tex]

For any complex number [itex]z[/itex] we have [itex]z-z^*=2i\Im(z)[/itex].

This is very simple.

[tex] \langle \psi|\hat{A}\hat{B}|\psi\rangle =:u\in \mathbb{C} [/tex] (1)

Then,using the property:

[tex] \langle \psi|\hat{A}\hat{B}|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi|\hat{B}\hat{A}|\psi\rangle ^{*} [/tex] (2)

,we can write the LHS of the equality u wish to prove as:

[tex] |u-u^{*}| [/tex] (3)

The RHS of the equality you want to prove is

[tex] 2|Im \ u | [/tex] (4)

Take the generic algebraic for "u"

[tex] u=:a+ib [/tex] (5) [tex] \Rightarrow u^{*}=a-ib [/tex] (6)

and then

[tex] |u-u^{*}|=|2ib|=2|b|=2|Im \ u| [/tex] (7)

q.e.d.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Ed Quanta said:
I don't really follow this derivation. Why does he have to show that (deltaA')^2=(deltaA')^2?

He's not showing that. He's showing that [itex]( \Delta A )^2=< \psi , A'^2 \psi >[/itex]. The fact that he ended up with [itex]( \Delta A )^2=( \Delta A )^2[/itex] simply means that he completed the proof.

Thanks a lot everyone. Much appreciated.

The very simplest answer is this.

If you want to determine the frequency of a signal by counting
pulses, your frequency determination gets more accurate the longer
you count. In QM, frequency determies energy so the less time you
have to count the frequency, the less certain you will be of the
exact energy.

Physicists are not really fond of descriptive explanations.They need maths.

Daniel.

I don't use maths because some of the people on this board are in dire need of descriptive
explanations. I'll leave the maths to the Physicists amoung you.

Edit: ..and let's not forget that there are many who could understand the
basics of much of physics but are confounded by the equations. It's partly
for them that descriptives are healty. The other group who needs it are the
naive budding physicists who have been made to believe that descriptive
explanations are at odds with good science. There are times when only
the math will do and descriptives aren't helpful, like the nature of electronic
spin. But there are other times (like the uncertainty principle) when
whole philosopies get built on the opacity of the equations. Quantum Uncertainty
is simple to comprehend visually for simple configurations and it is healthy, instructive
and right to do so.

Last edited:

1. What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the subatomic world?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle affects our understanding of the subatomic world by limiting our ability to precisely measure the position and momentum of particles. This means that we cannot have a complete understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Can the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It cannot be violated.

5. How does the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle relate to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. It states that particles can have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and this duality is reflected in the uncertainty of measuring both their position and momentum.