Pipe pressure drop calculation

In summary, to calculate the pressure at point A when vent A is closed, use the Bernoulli equation and assume that the velocity and potential energy are both zero at point A.
charlyliz
I am calculating various pressure drops in a pipe and am and am having trouble calculating the pressure at a certain point, for a set case. This is the pipe...

http://i50.tinypic.com/141mikg.jpg

A and B are vents, through which air passes and travels on up the pipe, where is it discharged to atmosphere. I am working out the pressure at points a and b for three cases.

1) both vents open and pumping air
2) vent A open, vent B closed
3) vent A closed, vent B open

I have worked everything out no bother for cases 1 and 2 but 3 is stumping me. My engineering brain knows that there should be a vacuum effect at a, because of the flow through b onwards, but I can't work out how to do the calculation. So far, setting the flow rate at a to zero just makes the frictional losses zero at this point, and leaving it at the same pressure as at b ... which isn't right!

I have accounted for losses due to the fittings (inlets) in my calculation.

I would like to know a method to calculate pressure at a when vent A is closed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The method for calculating the pressure at point a with vent A closed is to use the Bernoulli equation. The Bernoulli equation states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy is constant along a streamline. In this case, you can assume that the velocity is zero at point A (since vent A is closed) and the potential energy is also zero since this is a steady-state flow. Therefore, the pressure at point A will be equal to the pressure at point B, since the sum of all energies must remain the same.

1. What is pipe pressure drop?

Pipe pressure drop is the decrease in fluid pressure that occurs as the fluid flows through a pipe. This drop in pressure is caused by factors such as friction, changes in elevation, and obstructions in the pipe.

2. Why is pipe pressure drop calculation important?

Pipe pressure drop calculation is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the amount of pressure that a fluid will experience as it flows through a pipe. This information is crucial in designing efficient and cost-effective piping systems.

3. How is pipe pressure drop calculated?

Pipe pressure drop can be calculated using various equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation. These equations take into account factors such as pipe diameter, fluid velocity, and pipe roughness to determine the pressure drop.

4. What factors affect pipe pressure drop?

Several factors can affect pipe pressure drop, including the length and diameter of the pipe, the type of fluid being transported, the flow rate of the fluid, and any obstructions or changes in elevation along the pipe.

5. How can pipe pressure drop be reduced?

Pipe pressure drop can be reduced by choosing a larger pipe diameter, minimizing obstructions and changes in elevation along the pipe, and selecting a smoother pipe material. Additionally, reducing the flow rate or using a pump to increase the fluid pressure can also help to reduce pressure drop.