Designing a circuit (basic electric circuit analysis)

In summary, the question is asking for a way to have all three nodes at +10 volts w.r.t. the ground node, and the answer is to use three resistors of the same value.
InvalidID
Homework Statement

Design a dc circuit utilizing a 15V voltage battery to provide the following node voltages: +10V, +5V, and -5V w.r.t. a circuit ground node. Select your resistors such that the maximum power demand on the battery does not exceed 1mA.

The attempt at a solution

I've designed the attached circuit, but I'm not sure how to find the resistance for each circuit. I know that the total resistance of all four circuits must add up to 225000Ω using the calculations attached.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 860
  • Calc.png
    Calc.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 792
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps start by marking the ground node and which nodes you intend being 10V, 5V and -5V. Hint: You only need 3 resistors all the same value.

InvalidID said:
Homework Statement

Design a dc circuit utilizing a 15V voltage battery to provide the following node voltages: +10V, +5V, and -5V w.r.t. a circuit ground node. Select your resistors such that the maximum power demand on the battery does not exceed 1mA.
mA is not a unit of power; it's a unit of current. Are you sure that the question states that it wants a power limit and not a current limit? Or is it just badly phrased and they really expect a current limit of 1mA? (it would make sense)
The attempt at a solution

I've designed the attached circuit, but I'm not sure how to find the resistance for each circuit. I know that the total resistance of all four circuits must add up to 225000Ω using the calculations attached.
Suppose you set a fixed current value. How many resistors do you think you'd need to provide three potential drops? Should the drops be of different or equal magnitude?

CWatters said:
Perhaps start by marking the ground node and which nodes you intend being 10V, 5V and -5V. Hint: You only need 3 resistors all the same value.

Alright. I'm trying that right now.

gneill said:
mA is not a unit of power; it's a unit of current. Are you sure that the question states that it wants a power limit and not a current limit? Or is it just badly phrased and they really expect a current limit of 1mA? (it would make sense)

Hmm... I doubled checked the question and it seems that they used the wrong units. I guess I'll ask the professor or TA. I think they just wrote the wrong units, because that's an easy mistake to make.

gneill said:
How many resistors do you think you'd need to provide three potential drops? Should the drops be of different or equal magnitude?

Resistors cause voltage drops, so for 3 voltage drops, I would need three resistors. Since the increments are in equal value (i.e. -5, 0, 5, 10), then I guess that the resistors need to be all the same value.

I think I did it!

One question: how would I make (1) the ground node and still have the other nodes have voltages of: -5V, +5V, and +10V w.r.t. (1)?

Attachments

• upload.png
    upload.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
InvalidID said:
I think I did it!
Yes, looks fine.
One question: how would I make (1) the ground node and still have the other nodes have voltages of: -5V, +5V, and +10V w.r.t. (1)?
You can't. Making node (1) the reference node would put the other nodes at -5, -10, -15 volts with respect to it.

I think I did it!

I think you have the battery the wrong way around.

This is how I would draw it.. Note how this layout has the higher voltage nodes at the top of the page and lower voltage/negative voltages at the bottom.

Attachments

• voltages.jpg
    voltages.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
I'm curious. What did you use to draw that circuit?

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path or loop through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected together by conductive wires.

2. What is the purpose of designing a circuit?

The purpose of designing a circuit is to control the flow of electricity in a specific way to achieve a desired outcome. This could be to power a device, such as a light bulb, or to perform a specific function, such as amplifying a signal.

3. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source, such as a battery or electrical outlet, conductive wires, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control the flow of electricity.

4. How do you analyze a circuit?

To analyze a circuit, you need to use the principles of electric circuit analysis, which involve applying Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to determine the voltage, current, and resistance at various points in the circuit. This can be done using mathematical equations or with the help of circuit simulation software.

5. What are some common challenges in designing a circuit?

Some common challenges in designing a circuit include ensuring that all components are properly connected and wired, selecting the right components for the desired outcome, and troubleshooting any issues that may arise during the testing phase. It is also important to consider factors such as power consumption, heat dissipation, and safety when designing a circuit.