Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
Borek said:
I have to pass on this one, I have seen it.

You can provide clues then. :smile:

One clue is that one of Elton John's songs portended an event to occur 2 years later in the same town.

I wonder if "Steam Punk" would be a good description of the guy responsible for the event?

[edit] Two years after Elton's song was released that is. Ok. The "event" occurred in 1974, two years before the new bridge was opened.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been busy the last few days but I did find this video. I think this will lead me to the landmark if I have the time and someone doesn't beat me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76itSz-QEcE

I'm sitting out on this one because I found the bridge very easily (by Googling based on information in the text) but I have a concert this weekend so no time to find another landmark.

OmCheeto said:
Yay! And given that I'm having trouble coming up with landmarks lately, I will have to borrow your trick and start checking my clothing for ideas.

The following is not based on any clothing. It is me in the foreground, and my younger brother on the pedestal. It was taken in approximately 1963. I did not know where this image was taken until a few days ago. The landscape may have changed a bit since then.

tbt.2014.09.11.1956.jpe

Had the image been take from the opposite direction, a bridge of some significance might have been captured. A replacement bridge was started in 1973.

pf.wtlm.2014.09.14.2346.jpg

The new bridge as seen from somewhere in the landmark​

Those OmCheeto kids look like they could get quite rowdy if given the chance. Just kidding of course. That picture could be titled "The Age of Innocence."

Last edited:
The big Snake River jump took place near the bridge. The old bridge was still standing.

Steam powered? No way that thing was going to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-toCdPlXd6I The old bridge on a post card now selling on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230884059997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

The new bridge was completed in 1976.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...1-Perrine_Bridge-Twin_Falls_Idaho.html#photos

The wiki picture is more impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrin...93_bridge_from_within_Snake_River_Canyon.jpeg

Last edited:
edward said:
The big Snake River jump took place near the bridge. The old bridge was still standing.

Steam powered? No way that thing was going to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-toCdPlXd6I The old bridge on a post card now selling on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230884059997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

The new bridge was completed in 1976.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...1-Perrine_Bridge-Twin_Falls_Idaho.html#photos

The wiki picture is more impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrin...93_bridge_from_within_Snake_River_Canyon.jpeg

Although you didn't name the landmark, I'll give it to you, as I've been all over the "Blue Lakes Country Club" via google Earth and can find no visual evidence that that pool still exists.

Though their webpage says that one still exists:
Blue Lakes Country Club
a wading area for the little ones

My cousin in Phoenix says* I still have cousins in Twin Falls. Though for the life of me, I can't remember which ones. :redface:

*She's also been mentioning her local weather on Facebook, so my offer to sell you a years worth of water is rescinded,. And images of floating cars in Tucson will be readily recognized, so don't even think about it.

Blue Lakes Country Club may have remodeled a bit since 1963.

I had a feeling the launch site wasn't the actual landmark primarily because I couldn't see the bridge from there. There is also a park named Centennial Water Front Park with a view of the bridge.

http://idahotravelvacation.blogspot.com/2012/01/idaho-vacation-twin-falls-centennial.html

I need to dig around for a landmark. I thought I had a good one. It was a clip from a cruise ship web camera (take that Google). Then I lost track of the cruise ship before it arrived at the actual landmark site the next day. Did it sink? Is it lost at sea? No, for some reason it returned to Florida.

The new landmark is old.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ro1cgi.jpg

Is that picture to big? Tinypic didn't give a size in pixels.

OmCheeto said:
Although you didn't name the landmark, I'll give it to you, as I've been all over the "Blue Lakes Country Club" via google Earth and can find no visual evidence that that pool still exists.

Though their webpage says that one still exists:

My guess is it doesn't have water in but is here: 42.6065693,-114.4642247

The city where the landmark is located has origins that go back to when the Romans built a bridge over a river there.

The functions of the landmark originated in another city, then moved to the current city. This happened several more times through history. The landmark and it's functions have now been at the current location for a number of centuries.

Last edited:
I found a picture of some cars in a parking lot at the landmark. Apparently it isn't a recent picture at least the vehicles don't look recent. The roof line on the car in the foreground is a bit odd.

28svucy.jpg

The river that flows through the city where the landmark is located has it's origins in the Serra da Estrela mountains.

4kwdna.jpg

I look away for a few hours and then there are too many clues. "One of the oldest in Europe", I see.

edward said:
I found a picture of some cars in a parking lot at the landmark. Apparently it isn't a recent picture at least the vehicles don't look recent. The roof line on the car in the foreground is a bit odd.

28svucy.jpg
Citroen AMI

note: Ha! This new software saves unsaved posts!

This is a great view of the landmark apparently taken from an R/C model airplane.

jjpqjb.jpg

Likes Medicol
Everything in the picture looks great. Since the landmark was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2013 the renovation must have started. In most of the older pictures the buildings look really drab.

Here is a picture of a bridge in the city. I had to leave it a bit fuzzy, but it is obviously a single pylon suspension type bridge. The single pylon is not vertical and the cables fan out rather than run parallel. I suspect some of the people who were involved in the design of that Citroen AMI may have been involved in the design of this bridge. <(@^@)>

2db2b8z.jpg

Landmark: University of Coimbra
Old: Established in 1290, it is one of the oldest universities in continuous operation in the world, the oldest university of Portugal
Bridge, river, city, & country: Queen Elizabeth* bridge, aka Ponte(bridge) Rainha(queen) Santa(saint) Isabel(Elizabeth.), formerly known as the Europe Bridge (Ponte Europa), over the Mondego River in Coimbra, Portugal.
*Elizabeth of Aragon, more commonly known as Elizabeth of Portugal, (1271 – 4 July 1336; Elisabet in Catalan, Isabel in Aragonese, Portuguese and Spanish), was queen consort of Portugal, a tertiary of the Franciscan Order and is venerated as a saint of the Roman Catholic Church.

OmCheeto said:
Landmark: University of Coimbra
Old: Established in 1290, it is one of the oldest universities in continuous operation in the world, the oldest university of Portugal
Bridge, river, city, & country: Queen Elizabeth* bridge, aka Ponte(bridge) Rainha(queen) Santa(saint) Isabel(Elizabeth.), formerly known as the Europe Bridge (Ponte Europa), over the Mondego River in Coimbra, Portugal.
*Elizabeth of Aragon, more commonly known as Elizabeth of Portugal, (1271 – 4 July 1336; Elisabet in Catalan, Isabel in Aragonese, Portuguese and Spanish), was queen consort of Portugal, a tertiary of the Franciscan Order and is venerated as a saint of the Roman Catholic Church.

You are correct sir and you now have the prestigious, yet sometimes unwanted privilege, of posting our next landmark.

edward said:
You are correct sir and you now have the prestigious, yet sometimes unwanted privilege, of posting our next landmark.

Yay!
I bought a digital negative scanner a couple of weeks ago, and "have seen things, you people wouldn't believe". <- This quote is not a clue. I just love the quote.

My dad:
pf.wtlm.2014.09.26.1950.buttville.jpg

My mom:
pf.wtlm.2014.09.26.1946.jpg

Attention all personnel: This is a missing person report

Name. OmCheeto Last seen. In a wading pool in Idaho in 1963 That is all

edward said:
Attention all personnel: This is a missing person report

Name. OmCheeto Last seen. In a wading pool in Idaho in 1963 That is all
The town is apparently named after a minor river that runs through it. Wiki claims that the name means "Eschen wasser", which is not quite "monkey butt".

The images were taken around 1950. Dad was in the army at this point. Mom looks like she is out of uniform, so I'm guessing she was no longer in the luftwaffe.

I'm mainly interested in the name of the town, as there appear to have been several installations located here. And they all look alike.

pf.wtlm.2014.09.29.2307.jpg

Though I highly suspect that they drank Jagermeister at this particular location.

I think the picture of your mother was taken at 49.97141,9.1609166 looking in a NNW direction. I haven't been able to identify the exact location of the other two pictures.

If I've got the location right, it turns out the two buildings in the picture of your mom are still there, visible here in Bing Maps birds eye view.

Jonathan Scott said:
I think the picture of your mother was taken at 49.97141,9.1609166 looking in a NNW direction. I haven't been able to identify the exact location of the other two pictures.
I'm fairly certain that the were all taken at the same facility. They were all on the same roll of negatives. Unfortunately, both my parents are long gone, so I can't say I'm 100% certain.

But you've pegged it: Jaeger Barracks(Kaserne), Aschaffenburg, Germany.

My oldest brother was born in Aschaffenburg in the fall of 1950.

Another clue was this building:

pf.wtlm.2014.10.01.1347.maybe.a.Jaeger.building.jpg

Which, although looks very similar to the ones at Jaeger, now looks more like the one at Fiori.

Yes, I thought the building in your other picture looked more like the Fiori ones as well.

OK, new landmark:

2j4bj1x.jpg

Someone has helpfully pointed out that this is too easy.

In my first version of this picture (from Google Street View), the sign was too blurred to read, but Google Image Search found the picture, so I changed the angle of the picture, but the sign is no longer blurred.

So in addition to identifying the location, please also identify the famous event which is supposed to have occurred in the vicinity long ago.

Jonathan Scott said:
Someone has helpfully pointed out that this is too easy.

In my first version of this picture (from Google Street View), the sign was too blurred to read, but Google Image Search found the picture, so I changed the angle of the picture, but the sign is no longer blurred.

So in addition to identifying the location, please also identify the famous event which is supposed to have occurred in the vicinity long ago.

It's still too easy to find. But given the town is nearly 2000 years old, I'd only be guessing about the "famous event".
Does it have anything to do with the years 42 and/or 43? They seem somewhat significant. Or have I gone too far back?

The event I have in mind is loosely related to the road sign and was only about 1000 years ago.

The event might have happened somewhere else, or simply be mythical, but the famous person involved in the event lived here.

Jonathan Scott said:
The event I have in mind is loosely related to the road sign and was only about 1000 years ago.
Good grief! How any of you Brits survived history class is a mystery to me.

I'm guessing the event is one of the following:

1. King Canute commanded the tide not to come in
2. King Canute's daughter drowned, when the tide refused to follow his command
3. Harold Godwinson may or may not have been buried there, following the Battle of Hastings, about 70 miles to the east
4. None of the abovehttp://www.bosham.org/chichester/about-bosham-early-history-c-3_45.html
King Canute had a palace at Bosham. It was here at Bosham that King Canute ordered the tide not to come in. He was continually being told how all powerful he was and he decided that his courtiers needed a practical lesson in his mortality and to demonstrate that he was just a King and nothing more he placed his throne at the edge of the sea and commanded that the waves should stop, obviously they didn't. King Canutes young daughter was buried in the church in 1020, she drowned when she slipped and fell into the millstream.

King's grave mystery may be unearthed
The historians say if they break open the tomb at Holy Trinity Church in Bosham, West Sussex, they will uncover the mystery surrounding the final resting place of the last Anglo-Saxon king.

The debate over the burial site of Harold, killed by William the Conqueror's army during the Battle of Hastings in 1066, has raged for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
Good grief! How any of you Brits survived history class is a mystery to me.

I'm guessing the event is one of the following:

1. King Canute commanded the tide not to come in
2. King Canute's daughter drowned, when the tide refused to follow his command
3. Harold Godwinson may or may not have been buried there, following the Battle of Hastings, about 70 miles to the east
4. None of the above

It's option 1. The tide was intended to be the clue.

This area of land at Bosham (with a footpath across it) becomes a little bay at high tide, and is close to where King Canute (Cnut) is thought to have lived; it is often associated with the story of Canute and the tide, although there are other places, for example on the Thames, which are also associated with the story. When I was young, we sometimes visited someone who lived on the far side, via the footpath (as the road and path did not go right round), and sometimes got our feet wet hurrying back as the tide came in.

I've not heard any connection between the story of his daughter drowning in the millstream and the tide.

Your turn.

My first idea was that it is about King John losing the Crown Jewels.

Jonathan Scott said:
I've not heard any connection between the story of his daughter drowning in the millstream and the tide.
It may have been the fact that the two sentences were adjacent; "...commanded that the waves should stop, obviously they didn't. King Canutes young daughter was buried in the church in 1020, she drowned when she slipped and fell into the millstream.", and that I have no knowledge of the millstream, that made the connection. I imagined something like the Bay of Fundy, on a smaller scale.

Your turn.
Argh! I have no landmark ready, the monsoon season is scheduled to start in 10 hours, and I have 40 hours of outside work to get done before it arrives.
If anyone has a landmark to post before I get back this evening, be my guest.