Math + Alcohol = Better Results?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
In summary: I end up going over things again and again and again until I either fall asleep or give up.In summary, alcohol can help improve creativity and make the consumer more relaxed. However, it can also have negative effects, such as making the person more prone to mistakes.
Nikitin
Anyone tried it? How did you do?

And this thread is only a half joke: Light intoxication increases creativity and makes the consumer relaxed. It might work? Maybe?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're describing my entire undergraduate career.

On a serious note, only time I recall doing so is after having a dinner party at my house. I was reviewing my planner and noticed that I overlooked a homework problem. That was the hardest integral ever.

I once had a friend from another university visit and we got kinda toasted. I had forgotten about a physics lab. Before starting the experiment, I went to the restroom for some beer relief and dropped my slide-rule in the toilet.

Alcohol and math don't mix. Don't drink and derive.

I've done it. The results are always...interesting.

Ben Niehoff said:
I've done it. The results are always...interesting.
##F = mv## says the drunk man

Nikitin said:
Anyone tried it? How did you do?

And this thread is only a half joke: Light intoxication increases creativity and makes the consumer relaxed. It might work? Maybe?

I was a bit toasted the other day while doing some physics related math stuff.
The solution I ended up with had me agreeing with Russ Waters.

I may have to quit drinking.

dlgoff said:
I once had a friend from another university visit and we got kinda toasted. I had forgotten about a physics lab. Before starting the experiment, I went to the restroom for some beer relief and dropped my slide-rule in the toilet.

Did it work after the dunking?

Careful your age is showing!

I don't drink anymore, but when I was in high school (and too young to drink, don't do this kids) I used to do algebra drunk, and it was always easier for me. But I think it's because of my ADD, and it sort of quieted something down a bit and helped me concentrate.

Now I do yoga and meditation and other wholesome crap like that.

-Dave K

Bad ar good it will make you dependent and you may feel unable to solve hard problems without drinking.

I don't drink though so this statement lacks of experimental (personal experience) comprovation.

this is disappointing. How about drugs? :-p I heard at medicine school they all take ritalin or something before doing major studying sessions.

One beer absolutely destroyed my accuracy. It gave false confidence and I blew right past silly algebra mistakes. Next day i'd look at it and get really PO'd about the time wasted.

Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.

dlgoff said:

... and thus invented floating point arithmetic.

Integral said:

jim hardy said:
Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.

The Quarrymen?

Last edited:
dlgoff said:

Geez..my grandpa had one of those. He was born in..1896.

I can't even add two numbers together when I'm drunk. However, sometimes the songs I write are better than the ones I write sober. I think alcohol specifically targets the left brain for shutdown, while perhaps mildy "liberating" the right brain, at least in small doses.:tongue:

Funny, when I'm drunk and bored at a party I start going over math stuff I struggle with. Works like a charm for me.

I seriously need to get half-drunk and do math, some day after the exam period.

Borek said:

:biggrin:

Integral said:
Did it work after the dunking?

I still have it/them.

It, the small one, worked fine but operators input was in question. Physics I Lab, trajectory, using springs with large constants to launch steel ball bearing projectiles (~1 inch diam.) off the lab bench. I think I hit the target once. Or was that my lab partner? :confused:

George Jones said:
... and thus invented floating point arithmetic.

Yep. That why I bought the large one. It was like going from 8 bit to 32 bit arithmetic. :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Geez..my grandpa had one of those. He was born in..1896.

Ever hear the saying, "I'm your daddy"?

The large one looks a lot like the German one I have after my granddad (He studied engineering in post WWI Germany)

I've never done this, but I presume it is similar to doing math while under sleep deprivation. This I have done and it is not fun, I get snagged on things that would otherwise come quickly to me by double and triple checking, and even mental arithmetic feels pretty hard.

I had a lecturer who encouraged students to go out more and have other distractions outside of academics. He once said we should get home drunk and sit down to do that last hard homework problem we weren't able to figure out. If we were drunk enough, we might be able to come up with the solution, he claimed.

Likes 1 person
The first time my professor walked in and started talking canonical coordinates, for a moment I thought that he meant to say conical coordinates, but had been drinking.

Wow, dlg - are those really K&E Decilons?

The pocket one is quite rare.

You 'da man!

jim hardy said:
Wow, dlg - are those really K&E Decilons?

The 5 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model 4181-1 © 1947.

But the 10 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model Decilon 68 1100 © 1947, 1961.

The pocket one is quite rare.

You 'da man!

I would sell it to you if it weren't for this. :devil:

Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted in any forum.

dlgoff said:
I would sell it to you if it weren't for this. :devil:

Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted in any forum.

You could "donate" it to me:biggrin:

Btw, does it have hyperbolic capabilities? Or did those come out later? I mean not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything...

Doing math while drinking is always short-lived.You can do good math within your 1st and 2nd beer , you can keep up the pace at your 3rd but your skills are severely reduced once you hit your 4th or 5th beer.Unless you are very tolerant to alcohol.

Last edited:
DiracPool said:
You could "donate" it to me:biggrin:

Btw, does it have hyperbolic capabilities? Or did those come out later? I mean not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything...
No Sh or Th scales but I'm not donating. However I'll give you this link to Slide Rules with Hyperbolic Function Scales which has a nice interactive Java script graphically showing the six hyperbolic functions. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
The 5 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model 4181-1 © 1947.

But the 10 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model Decilon 68 1100 © 1947, 1961.

I do have one of each in my collection, and a 20" 4081. Still looking for a 5" Decilon..

I keep a cheap Sterling in the car for gas mileage. It never needs batteries.

Son works as mechanical engineer at a military base so for Christmas I gave him a cubicle curio - a 10" Pickett in a shadow box,,
with placard "Break Glass in case of EMP Attack".

old jim

jim hardy said:
Son works as mechanical engineer at a military base so for Christmas I gave him a cubicle curio - a 10" Pickett in a shadow box,,
with placard "Break Glass in case of EMP Attack".

old jim

Outstanding. Now you got me thinking of a shadow box. :approve:

dlgoff said:
Outstanding.

Yep. I love it too.

it would be somewhat funny at that moment because you mind could not process the questions.

dlgoff said:
I still have it/them.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9627/14017584.jpg

It, the small one, worked fine but operators input was in question. Physics I Lab, trajectory, using springs with large constants to launch steel ball bearing projectiles (~1 inch diam.) off the lab bench. I think I hit the target once. Or was that my lab partner? :confused:

Yep. That why I bought the large one. It was like going from 8 bit to 32 bit arithmetic. :!)

The old ways are the best ways:

http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/5/5F/A3613644-6190-48A6-85B01FB71EA3D4DA.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 or 5 slide rules (including one that she inherited from her father) and two abaci (old school plural of abacus). I'm not sure, but I think that one of the ones I have I used in my physics classes, back well before the general availability of pocket calculators along about the mid-70s.

As a side note, the abacus is a sort of advanced version of a gizmo the ancients used to use, a piece of wood that had grooves scooped out for the 1's, 10's, etc. columns. They used small stones as counters, similar to the beads on an abacus. In Latin, a small stone was a calculus.

So now you know why it is that what a dentist removes from your teeth has the same name as the mathematical study of things that change in time.

Borek said:

Since we're reviving a dead topic anyway, let me just say that I laughed out loud at that one.