Whats faster than the speed of light?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of something faster than the speed of light and references the OPERA experiment, which claimed to have found superluminal neutrinos. However, there is a correction to this claim and the person is asked to do further research for updated information.
danielpherlio
Im just interested to know because apparently there is something faster than the speed of light and the fastest thing i know is the speed of light?

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "apparently there is something faster than the speed of light"? Do you refer to phase velocity, group velocity or what?

what is faster than light i herd somewhere on the internet scientist found something that's faster than light?

danielpherlio said:
what is faster than light i herd somewhere on the internet scientist found something that's faster than light?
Please provide a reference so we know what you're talking about.

maybe he's talking about the neutrino experiment!

danielpherlio said:

This is not an acceptable form of "reference" for the physics forums:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2703

As has been alluded to, you are probably referring to the apparent superluminal neutrinos from the OPERA experiment. Do a search. You need to update your information because there's a correction to that.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

Is anything faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. It is considered to be the universal speed limit.

Why can't anything travel faster than the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires more energy to continue accelerating. At the speed of light, an object would have infinite mass and require infinite energy, making it impossible to reach or exceed this speed.

Are there any exceptions to the speed of light limit?

No, there are no known exceptions to the speed of light limit. However, there are theories that suggest the existence of wormholes or other phenomena that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel, but these have not been proven.

Could the speed of light ever be exceeded in the future?

While it is currently considered impossible, advancements in technology and further understanding of the laws of physics could potentially lead to new discoveries that challenge our current understanding of the speed of light. But for now, it remains the ultimate speed limit in the universe.