Basic confusion about a linear order.

In summary, a total order on a set X is a relation that satisfies the conditions of antisymmetry, transitivity, and totality. While totality may seem to make antisymmetry unnecessary, this is not the case as shown by the example of the set X={1,2} with the order relations 1<2 and 2<1. Therefore, when proving that a relation R is a total order, it is necessary to prove all three conditions. It is also important to note that in mathematics, the use of "or" often means at least one or the other, rather than just one or the other as it does in everyday language.
gottfried
According to wikipedia a total order ≤ on a set X is one such that
If a ≤ b and b ≤ a then a = b (antisymmetry);
If a ≤ b and b ≤ c then a ≤ c (transitivity);
a ≤ b or b ≤ a (totality).

I'm wondering why antisymmetry is a condition since, as far as I can see, totality discounts antisymmetry. So suppose I'm trying to prove that R is a total order would it be sufficient to prove only transitivity and totality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the set ##X=\{1,2\}##. Define the order relation ##1<2## and ##2<1##. This is transitive and total, but not anti-symmetric. So anti-symmetry is not a void condition.

Why is that total?

Total means that for each two elements ##a## and ##b##, we have ##a\leq b## or ##b\leq a##.

There are four choices here:
Either ##a=1## and ##b=1##, then ##1\leq 1## holds since ##1=1##.
or ##a=2## and ##b=2##, then ##2\leq 2## holds since ##2=2##.
or ##a=1## and ##b=2##, then ##1\leq 2## holds since ##1<2## (##2\leq 1## holds as well, but that's not needed)
or ##a=2## and ##b=1##, then ##1\leq 2## holds since ##1<2## (##2\leq 1## holds as well, but that's not needed)

I see. I was under the impression total meant one or the other rather than atleast one or the other.

gottfried said:
I see. I was under the impression total meant one or the other rather than atleast one or the other.

Aaah, that explains it!

This is very important. If you see the word "or" in a mathematics text than that almost always means at least one or the other. This is contrast with our daily life where "or" means that both can't occur. Keep this in mind when reading a math text or article!

The "or" from our daily life is occasionaly written as xor and means the exclusive or.

Cool, that is a very good thing to know.

1. What is a linear order?

A linear order is a mathematical concept that describes the arrangement of elements in a sequence or a line. It is also known as a total order, as it assigns a unique position to each element in the sequence.

2. How is a linear order different from other types of orders?

A linear order is different from other types of orders, such as partial orders or weak orders, because it is a strict ordering of elements. This means that every element in a linear order is comparable to every other element, and there are no ties or equal positions.

3. Can a linear order have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a linear order can have an infinite number of elements. This is because the concept of a linear order is not limited to a specific number of elements, but rather it describes the relationship between the elements in the order.

4. How is a linear order represented?

A linear order can be represented in various ways, such as a list, a graph, or a set of numbers. In mathematics, it is often represented as a set of ordered pairs, with the first element representing the position and the second element representing the element itself.

5. What is the purpose of studying linear orders?

Studying linear orders is important in various fields of mathematics, such as set theory, combinatorics, and topology. It also has applications in computer science, specifically in sorting algorithms and data structures. Understanding linear orders can help us better organize and analyze data, and make logical and efficient decisions.