US Power Sockets: Will I Need a 3-pin Adaptor in Boston?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a power adaptor with three pins is needed in order to use it on all the power plugs in Boston.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Coming week I'm visiting Boston for a meeting, so I bought a power adaptor. I just realized it's an earthed one, so it has three pins. Will I be able to use that on all the power plugs, or should I get a two-pinned adaptor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
Coming week I'm visiting Boston for a meeting, so I bought a power adaptor. I just realized it's an earthed one, so it has three pins. Will I be able to use that on all the power plugs, or should I get a two-pinned adaptor?
Newer outlets will have three plugs (we call it grounded in the US), older outlets won't, so a two prong would give you more options.

Just get one of these to plug your adapter into when needed.

320px-Cheater_plug_edited.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

dlgoff said:
Just get one of these to plug your adapter into when needed.

320px-Cheater_plug_edited.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug
Excellent idea dl! Monique, these are just pennies at any hardware store here, is there someone in Boston you can ask to get you one?

Monique, I'm not sure where you're staying in Boston - hotel or with friends - but any place with reasonably to-code receptacles have the sockets that take three pins. You should also recognize that power receptacles throughout the US are 120V, which is different from the 200V in many European countries.

Also 60 Hz, don't you guys use 50 over there? Although I think for most electronic devices the cycle shouldn't matter.

Hmmm, now I'm doubting. At least I'm staying at an expensive hotel (it was the only option), so maybe I should take the risk. On the other hand, the adaptor is useful world-wide and I don't want to get stuck with unground sockets (which did happen before).

The voltage is not a problem, I'll only be using a computer and my phone and they have transformers that can take 100-220V.

Evo said:
Newer outlets will have three plugs (we call it grounded in the US), older outlets won't, so a two prong would give you more options.
The adaptor must be British then, it says Earthed :smile: When I was in London the other week the hotel check-in person corrected me when I asked for the elevator, "we call that a lift over here" :biggrin:

Monique said:
The adaptor must be British then, it says Earthed :smile: When I was in London the other week the hotel check-in person corrected me when I asked for the elevator, "we call that a lift over here" :biggrin:

You should have asked for the stairs. :wink:

If you're at an expensive hotel, the front desk will have EU-US converters.

The wording here matters: a converter changes voltage but an adapter doesn't. You probably need a converter.

Mark44 said:
Monique, I'm not sure where you're staying in Boston - hotel or with friends - but any place with reasonably to-code receptacles have the sockets that take three pins. .

That's true, but sometimes you find that receptacles are in hard to reach places and that what is offered you is the end of an extension cord that has only a two prong receptacle. That sort of thing might happen if you stay in a private residence or small bed-and-breakfast.

russ_watters said:
The wording here matters: a converter changes voltage but an adapter doesn't. You probably need a converter.
No, I need an adapter so that the power cord will fit the socket. The converter that's attached to computer/telephone power cords is already designed to take 100-220V 50/60Hz.

Somewhere in the house I should have a cheap unground adapter, so I'll keep the grounded one. If it won't fit I'll be able to use someone else's adapter or visit a shop.

hah, I almost forgot to activate my debit card for North America, almost got stuck without money :biggrin: Strange, it almost feels like I'm going home.

1. What type of power sockets are used in Boston?

The power sockets used in Boston are Type A and B, which are the standard sockets used in the United States.

2. Will I need a 3-pin adaptor for my electronic devices?

If your electronic devices have a Type A or B plug, you will not need a 3-pin adaptor. However, if your devices have a different type of plug, you will need an adaptor to fit into the US power sockets.

3. Are there any voltage differences in Boston that would require a specific adaptor?

The voltage in Boston is 120 volts, which is the same as the rest of the United States. If your electronic devices are compatible with this voltage, you will not need a specific adaptor.

4. Can I use a universal adaptor in Boston?

Yes, you can use a universal adaptor in Boston as long as it is compatible with Type A or B sockets and 120 volts.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of when using US power sockets in Boston?

It is important to use caution when using any electrical outlets, including US power sockets in Boston. Make sure to follow all safety guidelines and do not overload the sockets with too many devices.