Can a Gamma Ray Burst create a shadow on Earth from the Sun?

In summary, a nearby Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) would not cast a shadow on Earth if the Sun were to shine from behind it. The size of the shadow would be the size of the Sun.
tionis
Gold Member
Would a nearby Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) cause the Sun to cast a shadow on Earth if it were to shine from behind it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What would you expect for the size of this shadow?

Hi, Ultra. I guess the shadow would be the size of the Sun, right?

To a very good approximation, indeed.
What do you know about the relative size of sun and earth?

Yes, but what size is the shadow of the sun on the surface of the earth?

As a plasma ball, the sun is a very efficient gamma ray shield. The sun moves across the sky an apparent 60 arc minutes per day. It's apparent diameter is about 30 arc minutes. You should be able to figure out from this about how long the sun could shield us from a GRB [a point source] occurring on a line of sight behind the sun.

mfb said:
To a very good approximation, indeed.
What do you know about the relative size of sun and earth?

The Sun is bigger but farther, and Chronos said it is 30 arc minutes in diameter.

UltrafastPED said:
Yes, but what size is the shadow of the sun on the surface of the earth?

30 arc minutes?

Chronos said:
As a plasma ball, the sun is a very efficient gamma ray shield. The sun moves across the sky an apparent 60 arc minutes per day. It's apparent diameter is about 30 arc minutes. You should be able to figure out from this about how long the sun could shield us from a GRB [a point source] occurring on a line of sight behind the sun.

Ok. So what I basically want to know is if the visible luminosity of a GRB is powerful enough to cause the Sun to cast a shadow on Earth. I use GRBs as an example, but I guess a supernova could do it, too, right?

tionis said:
The Sun is bigger but farther, and Chronos said it is 30 arc minutes in diameter.

30 arc minutes?
How big is the Earth in arc minutes? How much of the Earth does that cover...?
Ok. So what I basically want to know is if the visible luminosity of a GRB is powerful enough to cause the Sun to cast a shadow on Earth.
Gamma ray bursts aren't very bright visibly. So it wouldn't be much of a "shadow"
I guess a supernova could do it, too, right
Yes, and much brighter than a GRB. But still not much of a "shadow".

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
How big is the Earth in arc minutes? How much of the Earth does that cover...?

I don't know..:redface:

I'm trying to picture what the sky would look like if the Sun were to 'eclipse' a GRB or a supernova. It seems that the glare from either of those two events could overwhelm the visible brightness of the Sun by several orders of magnitude, no?

Are you saying the Sun wouldn't cast any shadow on the Earth with that much light in the background?

Last edited by a moderator:
Radiation from a GRB behind the sun would be enormously diminished.

tionis said:
I don't know..:redface:
It's a trick question; That doesn't translate into a size on earth. For this situation, the angular diameter of the sun doesn't matter, only the fact that its real diameter is much larger than earth. All of Earth will be in "shadow"
I'm trying to picture what the sky would look like if the Sun were to 'eclipse' a GRB or a supernova. It seems that the glare from either of those two events could overwhelm the visible brightness of the Sun by several orders of magnitude, no?
No. Those events are nowhere close to as bright as the sun (er - perhaps a GRB from within our galaxy would be, but they are rare events and so far are only seen from far away). It depends on distance of course, but a supernova in our galaxy might shine as brightly as Venus.
Are you saying the Sun wouldn't cast any shadow on the Earth with that much light in the background?
Not in the normal sense of the word, no.
[edit] Tionis, I apologize; I accidentally edited your post instead of replying (for moderators, the buttons are right next to each other). I've tried to restore it to its original form.

Supernovae are bright, but they won't outshine the sun in visible light. The supernova of 1604 was at a distance of 20 000 light years and reached an apparent magnitude of -2.5. Our sun is 10^10 times brighter than that, in order to get the same magnitude a similar supernova would have to be closer by a factor of 100 000, or .2 light years away. There is no star in this distance, and I think all the stars within 10 light years won't explode as supernova.

Even if there would be some very bright source, the sun has no solid surface. There would be no shadow similar to a cloud, there would be some large (relative to clouds) transition region.

OK. I'm convinced. Thanks :-)

1. What is the "shadow of the Sun"?

The shadow of the Sun refers to the area of space behind the Sun where sunlight is blocked by the Sun itself. This shadow is constantly moving as the Earth orbits the Sun, and it is also affected by the tilt of the Earth's axis.

2. How does the shadow of the Sun affect Earth?

The shadow of the Sun has a significant impact on Earth's climate and weather patterns. As the Earth moves through the shadow, the amount of sunlight reaching the planet changes, leading to seasonal changes and variations in temperature. The shadow also plays a role in eclipses, when the Moon passes through it and temporarily blocks the Sun's light.

3. What is an annular eclipse?

An annular eclipse is a type of solar eclipse that occurs when the Moon is at its farthest point from the Earth, making it appear smaller in the sky. As a result, the Moon does not completely cover the Sun's disk, leaving a ring of sunlight visible around its edges. This creates a unique and stunning visual effect during the eclipse.

4. How often does a total solar eclipse occur?

A total solar eclipse occurs on average about once every 18 months, but the duration and location of each eclipse varies. This is because the Moon's orbit around the Earth is slightly tilted, so it does not always perfectly align with the Sun and Earth during its monthly orbit. This means that not every solar eclipse is visible from the same location on Earth.

5. What is the corona and why is it visible during a total solar eclipse?

The corona is the outermost layer of the Sun's atmosphere, extending millions of kilometers into space. It is usually invisible to the naked eye because it is much dimmer than the Sun's surface. However, during a total solar eclipse, the Moon blocks out the bright surface of the Sun, allowing the corona to be seen. This is a rare opportunity for scientists to study this part of the Sun's atmosphere in detail.