P = VI = (281V)(3.75A) = 1054 W

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a small power plant producing a voltage of 6.0 kV and 150 A, which is stepped up to 240 kV and transmitted to a substation. The resistance of the transmission line between the power plant and substation is 75 Ohms. The question asks what percentage of the power produced at the power plant is lost in the transmission. The solution involves calculating the power at the power plant and subtracting the power lost in the line, resulting in a power loss percentage of 0.12%.
Tautomer22

Homework Statement

A small power plant produces a voltage of 6.0 kV and 150 A. The voltage is stepped up to 240 kV by the transformer before it is transmitted to a substation. The resistance of the transmission line between the power plants and the substation is 75 Ohms.

What percentage of the power produced at the power plant is lost in the transmission of the substation?

a) 0.47%
b) 0.41%
c) 0.34%
d) 0.23%
e) 0.12% (This is correct answer)

Homework Equations

Ns/Np=Vs/Vp=Ip/Is

P = IV
P= I2R
P = V2/R
R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I know something is wrong with my attempt. The first thing I did was solve for the current of the line when the voltage is stepped up to 240 kV, which is 3.75 A compared to the 150 amps we started with. The problem I have now is with the resistance... If I use R = V/I then I can't get the current and volts to line up properly, and, in any event, the volts or currents I could get by fixing one of the numbers doesn't come out in a reasonable order of magnitude. For example, if I use 240 kV as my volts, then I get a current of 3200 A which is outlandish, so I must not be using this relationship properly. So I guess what I'm looking for is how do I quantify the effect of resistance on the line?

Update: I found a way to get the answer, but I'm not sure why it should be this way... If I take the initial power at 9 * 105 by multiplying 6000 V by 150 A, and then I get a value of power in the line from the 3.75 amps as follows: P = (3.75)2(75 Ohms) = 1054 watts. If I take this number (1054W) not as the power in the line, but the power lost in the line, then I can subtract it from 9 * 105 and then simply generate a percent from the fierrence, giving me 0.12%

My new question: Why in the world is P = I2R equal to the power lost in the line, and not simply the power in the line?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the wire between the power plant and substation the current is same which is 3.75 A. Now you have given the resistance of the wire. From this you can calculate the power lost across the wire.Then for finding the percentage you can compare power created before transmitting and power lost. This will give you the answer

nil1996 said:
In the wire between the power plant and substation the current is same which is 3.75 A. Now you have given the resistance of the wire. From this you can calculate the power lost across the wire.Then for finding the percentage you can compare power created before transmitting and power lost. This will give you the answer

I understand your logic, but it's the numbers I don't understand... With an resistance of 75 ohms and a current of 3.75, the voltage I calculate is = 281 V (which is very far off from the expected 240,000 V). Also, if I simply use a power equation, such as I2R then I get a power equal to 1054 W, compared to the 9 * 105 at the power station... Clearly, if I take the percent of this, it's not going to less than a 1% power loss, which is the range of the answer...

I'm using one of the equations incorrectly, or making a wrong assumption somewhere. What answer do you get, and how exactly did you get it with respect to numbers?

Tautomer22 said:
if I use 240 kV as my volts, then I get a current of 3200 A which is outlandish
You are overlooking that there is an unknown load somewhere out on the user side. Your calculation is as though there is a short between the wires.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
You are overlooking that there is an unknown load somewhere out on the user side. Your calculation is as though there is a short between the wires.

So you're saying I need to focus on the turns ratio of the transformer rather than the resistance in ohms? I understand what you're saying, but I suppose I attacked this problem under the assumtpion that I would solve it by

1) Finding the power at the power plant
2) Finding the power delivered to the substation

I didn't realize I would necessarily have to consider what was beyond the substation. I thought the P=I^2R would give me the power delivered to the substation, rather than the power lost in the line.

I'm in the 2nd semester of a non-calculus based college physics course, so I've only just begun to be exposed to the mathematical expressions of currents.

Tautomer22 said:
So you're saying I need to focus on the turns ratio of the transformer rather than the resistance in ohms?
No.
I didn't realize I would necessarily have to consider what was beyond the substation. I thought the P=I^2R would give me the power delivered to the substation, rather than the power lost in the line.
You don't need to worry about what load there is on the line, merely be aware that most of the power is going to service that load and only a portion is lost in the line.
You can treat the line and the load as two resistors in series. You calculated the current in the high voltage line, and you know its resistance, so...

Tautomer22 said:
I understand your logic, but it's the numbers I don't understand... With an resistance of 75 ohms and a current of 3.75, the voltage I calculate is = 281 V (which is very far off from the expected 240,000 V).

Why are you expecting the voltage LOSS to be 240,000V ?

Think about it. If the voltage lost in transmission was that big the voltage at the town/destination would be zero. Not very useful :-)

The voltage drop down the transmission line is 281V making the voltage at the destination town a much more handy 240,000 - 281 = 239719V. (A step down transformer is used in the town to make 110V/230V)

If the voltage lost is 281V and the current is 3.75A what's the power lost?

What causes power loss in power lines?

Power loss in power lines can be caused by a number of factors such as resistance, temperature, and electromagnetic interference. Resistance is the main cause of power loss, as it is natural for some energy to be lost as heat when electricity flows through a wire. Temperature can also affect power loss, as higher temperatures can increase the resistance of the wire, leading to more energy loss. Electromagnetic interference from other sources can also cause power loss in power lines.

How much power is lost in power lines?

The amount of power lost in power lines varies depending on the length of the power line, the type of wire used, and the level of demand for electricity. On average, power loss can range from 5-10% of the total power generated.

How is power loss in power lines measured?

Power loss in power lines is measured in units of watts or kilowatts, which represent the amount of energy lost per unit of time. This measurement is known as line loss. It can be calculated by measuring the voltage and current at the beginning and end of the power line and using Ohm's law to determine the resistance and power loss.

How can power loss in power lines be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce power loss in power lines. One way is to use thicker wires with lower resistance, which can decrease the amount of energy lost as heat. Another method is to use materials with better conductivity, such as aluminum or copper. Additionally, implementing smart grid technology, such as voltage regulation and power factor correction, can also help reduce power loss in power lines.

What are the effects of power loss in power lines?

Power loss in power lines can have various effects, including higher energy costs, voltage drops, and power outages. It can also lead to increased carbon emissions as more energy needs to be generated to compensate for the lost energy. Additionally, power loss can also cause equipment damage and reduce the overall efficiency of the power grid.