Optimizing Activation Coil Selection for Maximum Gamma Flux

In summary, the best way to determine which of the activation coils, 27Al, 58Ni, or 115In, would have a higher gamma flux is by running MCNP calculations with a 4.5MeV neutron-energy PuBe neutron source. The reactions n + 27Al → 24Na + α, n + 58Ni → 58Co + p, and n + 115In → 115Inm + n' should be considered, along with the cross-sections and half-life of 115mIn, as well as the sensitivity of the detector.
shakystew
What is best way to figure out which of these activation coils would yield a higher gamma flux:

27Al, 58Ni, and 115In.

I have a PuBe neutron source, which I am told to just use a 4.5MeV neutron-energy. I am running MCNP calculations to find flux at a point away from the foil.

I knows the reactions:
n + 27Al → 24Na + α
n + 58Ni → 58Co + p
n + 115In → 115Inm + n’

Which foils will yield the highest and lowest fluxes on the detector?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need the cross-sections for those reactions (and the half-life of 115mIn) and some data about the sensitivity of the detector.

What is an activation coil?

An activation coil is a type of electrical coil that is used to generate an electromagnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This field can be used to activate or power devices such as motors, solenoids, or transformers.

How does an activation coil work?

An activation coil works by converting electrical energy into magnetic energy. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field can then be used to interact with other magnetic materials and cause them to move or generate electricity.

What are some common applications of activation coils?

Activation coils have a wide range of applications, including in electric motors, generators, transformers, and even medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also commonly used in household appliances and electronic devices.

What factors affect the performance of an activation coil?

The performance of an activation coil can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the electric current passing through it, the material of the coil, and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials that may interfere with the coil's magnetic field.

How can I test the performance of an activation coil?

The performance of an activation coil can be tested using instruments such as a multimeter, which can measure the voltage and current passing through the coil. Other methods include using a gaussmeter to measure the strength of the magnetic field or performing a load test to see how the coil performs under different levels of electrical load.