This thermodynamic quantity equals what?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of thermodynamics manipulations to find the partial derivative of pressure with respect to volume at constant entropy, but the attempted method did not work. The formula for adiabatic compressibility, ks, is mentioned as well as its relationship to Cp/CV and the isothermal bulk modulus, k.
M. next
I am trying to use thermodynamics manipulations in order to find [itex]\partial[/itex]P/[itex]\partial[/itex]V (at constant entropy) I tried replacing P by T([itex]\partial[/itex]S/[itex]\partial[/itex]V)(at constant Energy) and then differentiated that by V but didn't help me. Do you have any idea where I can get around with this? Just throw in any formula!

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Well, there's ks = adiabatic compressibility (= reciprocal of the adiabatic bulk modulus):

ks = - (1/v)(∂v/∂p)|s,
s = sp. entropy.

It's related to Cp/CV = γ = k/ks

where k = the reciprocal of the isothermal bulk modulus = (-1/v)(∂v/∂p)|T.

Made your day, eh? :tongue:

1. What is a thermodynamic quantity?

A thermodynamic quantity is a physical property that is used to describe a system in thermodynamics. Examples of thermodynamic quantities include temperature, pressure, and energy.

2. How is a thermodynamic quantity measured?

Thermodynamic quantities are typically measured using specialized instruments such as thermometers, barometers, or calorimeters. These instruments are designed to accurately measure the specific quantity being studied.

3. What are the different types of thermodynamic quantities?

There are several different types of thermodynamic quantities, including extensive quantities (dependent on the size of the system) and intensive quantities (independent of the size of the system). Some examples of specific thermodynamic quantities include entropy, enthalpy, and internal energy.

4. What does a thermodynamic quantity equal?

The value of a thermodynamic quantity can vary depending on the specific system being studied. For example, the temperature of a system can range from absolute zero (0 K) to extremely high temperatures, while the pressure can range from a vacuum to very high pressures. Therefore, the value of a thermodynamic quantity can only be determined by measuring it in a specific system.

5. How are thermodynamic quantities related to each other?

Thermodynamic quantities are related to each other through equations and laws, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics. These relationships allow scientists to predict the behavior of a system and make calculations based on various thermodynamic quantities.