Calculate Motor Torque for Running 8 Pulleys off One Motor

In summary, you would like to run 8 pulleys off of one motor. Each pulley would be 19" in diameter with 20lb of weight at 30RPM. To calculate the inch-lb that would be required of the motor, you would use the torque equation (.03908 x N x W x R^2)/t. If you are running the motor at 90 rpm with a pulley a third of the diameter you would be using a third of the torque or ~4 inch-lb. Then since there's 8 do you need a motor capable of 90rpm and ~32 inch-lb of torque? Why 8 pulleys? How do you intend to connect 8 pulleys to the one motor? Why size
JJ1989
I would like to run 8 pulleys off of one motor. Each "pulley" would be 19" in diameter with 20lb of weight at 30RPM. I would like to know how to calculate the inch-lb that would be required of the motor. I read this on masterdrives.com

Torque(inch-lb) = (.03908 x N x W x R^2)/t

Where N = difference between final and initial rpm, W = weight of rim in lb, R = radius in ft, and t = time required to affect speed change in seconds.

So if I wanted it to come up to seed in 5 seconds I calculate with one

Torque = (0.03908 x 30 x 20 x 2.51)/5 = ~11.77 inch-lb of torque.

If I were to run the motor at 90 rpm with a pulley a third of the diameter I would be using a third of the torque or ~4 inch-lb.

Then since there's 8 do I need a motor capable of 90rpm and ~32 inch-lb of torque?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why 8 pulleys?
How do you intend to connect 8 pulleys to the one motor?
why 5 seconds?
Why size the motor power based on acceleration rather than steady state?
Why 19'' pulleys?

If you can explain what exactly you are trying to achieve we can give better advice. As it is it sounds like you've made a lot of arbitrary decisions and it'll be a poorly engineered solution.

My apologies billy joule,

I plan to connect the 8 pulleys using a belt like used on the belt driven ceiling fans. Each pulley will have a load of 20lb attached to it. The pulleys will not actually be 19" but the load will be 19" off center of rotation(weld bracket to pulley), the 8 pulleys will likely be 10" and the motor will be using a 6" pulley. It's for a decoration idea.

The 5 seconds is arbitrary and I decided to size the motor for acceleration because I don't know how to size for steady state, or if my acceleration equation is even right.

Thank you for helping me!

It sounds like you want unbalanced masses on rotating shafts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrator_(mechanical )

I wouldn't worry about motor selection until you're sure the thing won't destroy itself when you turn it on.

Unbalanced mass demo:

Now imagine those small weights are replaced with 8x20lb weights...catastrophic failure would likely follow..

I suggest heading back to the drawing board.

If you can tell us (preferably w/diagrams) exactly what you're trying to achieve we may be able to offer alternative solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
At different points on the ceiling will be 8 different pulleys and one motor/drive pulley. Each pulley will have a bracket welded to it in order to expand the diameter. From this bracket will be a few wires holding up some sort of halloween type object all pretty close to 20lb.

At most they would rotate 30rpm, slower is fine. If I used a 3" drive motor pulley with the objects being 19" from center they'd turn at 1/6" the motor drive speed..if I were to start with say a 60rpm gear motor I don't think that at 10rpm it would get so out of control like in that video.

I'd like to run all of them off of one motor:
1. to save electricity
2. to sync the movements..it gives more of an eerie feel.
I thought it would make for a cool room in a haunted house.

The belting is probably the most expensive part, $100 for 30'. I'd probably need more than that too, unless there is some other way to run them all together. I'm just trying to figure out how to size the motor at this point and looking on ebay to see if there is anything used that could run this. I've only seen equations on how to size inch-lb for acceleration/deceleration but not how to size for continuous operation. I've never taken a physics class, but reading about this stuff gives me much more respect for the intelligence of those during the industrial revolution.

Bump, any input on if I'm using the correct calculations to size the motor or if there is a better equation? The less power use the better but I don't want to burn it out by under powering it either.

1. How do I calculate the torque required to run 8 pulleys off one motor?

To calculate the torque required, you will need to know the weight and diameter of each pulley, as well as the desired speed and direction of rotation. Then, use the equation τ = F x r, where τ is torque, F is force, and r is the radius of the pulley. Calculate the torque for each pulley and add them together to get the total torque required for all 8 pulleys.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the required motor torque?

The number of pulleys can greatly impact the required motor torque. The more pulleys you have, the more friction and resistance the motor will have to overcome, thus requiring more torque. It is important to carefully consider the number of pulleys needed for your specific application to ensure the motor can handle the load.

3. Can I use a single motor to power 8 pulleys of different sizes?

Yes, you can use a single motor to power 8 pulleys of different sizes. The torque required for each pulley will vary based on its weight and diameter, but as long as the motor has enough torque to power the largest pulley, it should be able to power the smaller ones as well.

4. How does the speed of the motor affect the required torque for 8 pulleys?

The speed of the motor can affect the required torque for 8 pulleys. Generally, a higher speed motor will require less torque to power the pulleys, while a lower speed motor will require more torque. This is because the motor's speed affects the amount of force it can exert to overcome friction and rotate the pulleys.

5. How do I ensure the motor I choose can handle the required torque for 8 pulleys?

To ensure the motor can handle the required torque for 8 pulleys, you will need to carefully consider the motor's specifications, such as its maximum torque output and its operating speed range. It is also important to consider the weight and diameter of each pulley and the amount of friction and resistance they will create. Choosing a motor with a higher torque output and a wide operating speed range can help ensure it can handle the load of 8 pulleys.