Can I prevent setting up standing waves in my COMSOL model?

In summary: If you could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.In summary, the researchers are trying to create an acoustic metamaterial that will have a high transmission loss at a given frequency. They have a 2D model that they are working from, but they would like to create a 3D model so that the modes across the face of the membrane are taken into account. The help documentation is not very helpful, and the equations are confusing.
pitchtwit
Can I prevent setting up standing waves in my COMSOL model?

I'm using integration over two opposing faces to get the pressure at the 'outlet' - but it seems that no matter what I do to prevent the standing waves, they won't go away.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Acoustic metamaterial - locally resonant.

Yes of course. I'm trying to recreate a model that has already been created in COMSOL by a few researchers - one of which is Christina J Naify (she does a presentation on this here). It's for my Masters project. I plan to try out a few tweeks of my own and write it up. I've already recreated the model analytically in Matlab, but I need to do it on COMSOL to make any further changes.

Here's one of the key papers on this - Transmission loss and dynamic response of membrane-type locally resonant acoustic metamaterials

And here's the plot I'm aiming to get -
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11341635/Screen%20Shot%202014-08-29%20at%2013.29.08.png

The basic premise is that a small square membrane - stretched across a square plastic rigid frame - has a small mass added to the centre. This setup - being dubbed an 'acoustic metamaterial' - provides a much enhanced acoustic transmission loss - with a very high peak at a given frequency. Obviously, by changing key variables, the acoustic transmission loss (in dB) over the frequency range can be manipulated. Also, multiple layers can be used to create a more broadband effect.

Here's an image of the setup: -
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11341635/Screen%20Shot%202014-08-29%20at%2013.48.54.png

I've been working from a COMSOL template called 'Acoustic Transmission Loss through Periodic Elastic Structures', which is public access.

My problem is that this model is a 2D model - whereas mine needs to be 3D because the modes across the face of the membrane are important. Also, this model works only at one frequency, and changes the angle of the plane wave radiation, whereas my model needs to change the frequency of the plane wave radiation, with only a normal incidence. They use Floquet periodicity (via a periodic condition) to bypass the effects of standing waves - setting the length of the virtual impedance tube sections so that standing wave effects are not an issue.

I was hoping that I could use either matched boundaries, or PMLs surrounding the virtual impedance tube so that reflections were not an issue, but putting this into practice has not proved to be successful.

I find that the error messages I get are not that helpful - I try using them in Google searches, but it doesn't get me anywhere. This is the usual method when you get stuck with a program like Matlab, but here it doesn't seem to work. The help documentation also seems very unhelpful.

I find the equations bit totally confusing and I'm close to giving up on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I prevent setting up standing waves in my COMSOL model?

To prevent standing waves in your COMSOL model, make sure to properly define your boundary conditions. This includes specifying appropriate damping or absorption coefficients and ensuring that there are no sources of reflections in your model.

2. Can I use mesh refinement to prevent standing waves?

Yes, mesh refinement can help prevent standing waves by accurately capturing the physics of the problem. However, it is important to use a fine enough mesh to properly resolve the wavelength of the waves.

3. Are there any specific physics interfaces that are prone to setting up standing waves?

Yes, some physics interfaces, such as the Electromagnetic Waves interface, are more prone to setting up standing waves. It is important to carefully analyze the physics of your problem and choose the appropriate interface to prevent standing waves.

4. How can I verify if my model has standing waves?

You can use post-processing tools in COMSOL, such as the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) plot, to analyze the presence of standing waves in your model. Additionally, you can compare your results with analytical or experimental data to identify any discrepancies that may indicate the presence of standing waves.

5. Are there any best practices for preventing standing waves in COMSOL models?

Yes, there are several best practices that can help prevent standing waves in COMSOL models. These include using appropriate boundary conditions, configuring proper mesh settings, and performing convergence studies to ensure accurate results. It is also important to carefully analyze the physics of your problem and choose appropriate settings and interfaces for your model.