Trouble setting up to prove unique factorization

In summary, the lemma in the book states that if two integers a and b are given, where b is positive, there exists two other integers q and r such that a equals q times b plus r, where r is nonnegative and less than b. The proof for this lemma involves considering a set of integers and showing that the least nonnegative element in the set satisfies the conditions. This lemma is useful in solving problems related to number theory.
lants
This lemma the book states, I can't make sense of it.

Lemma: If a,b[itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex] and b > 0, there exist q,r [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex] such that a = qb + r with 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] r < b.

Proof: Consider the set of all integers of the form a-xb with x [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]. This set includes positive elements. Let r = a - qb be the least nonnegative element in this set. We claim that 0[itex]\leq[/itex] r < b. If not, r = a - qb [itex]\geq[/itex] b and so 0[itex]\leq[/itex] a-(q+1)b<r, which contradicts the minimality of r.

Can someone help explain this to me? Why can't a = 3, and b = 8. Then no q,r could exist so that r is less than b, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this considered a textbook style question? Sorry, how can I move it? I just saw number theory and posted

What is wrong with [itex] a=3 [/itex] and [itex] b=8[/itex]? Here you simply take [itex] q=0 [/itex] and [itex] r=3 [/itex] (there is no condition that says either q or r have to be nonzero) to get [itex] 3=(0)(8) +3 [/itex] and [itex] 0\leq 3< 8 [/itex] as required.

Wow I'm quitting now

thanks

As a scientist, it is important to approach any problem or concept with a critical and analytical mindset. In this case, the lemma being referenced is a fundamental concept in number theory known as the division algorithm. This algorithm is used to prove the unique factorization of integers, which is a crucial concept in mathematics.

To address your concern about the specific example of a=3 and b=8, it is important to understand that the lemma is a general statement that applies to all integers a and b. In this case, the lemma is stating that for any given integers a and b, there exist two other integers q and r that satisfy the equation a=qb+r, where r is the remainder and must be less than b.

In the example you provided, it is true that a=3 and b=8 do not have a q and r that satisfy the equation. However, this does not invalidate the lemma. It simply means that the example does not fit the criteria of the lemma. In fact, the lemma is proven to be true for all integers a and b, regardless of specific numbers.

I would suggest reviewing the definition and proof of the division algorithm to gain a better understanding of this concept. It is also helpful to practice with different examples to solidify your understanding. As a scientist, it is important to continue questioning and seeking clarification in order to fully comprehend and apply concepts in your field of study.

1. How do I prove unique factorization?

To prove unique factorization, you need to show that every positive integer can be expressed as a product of primes in only one way. This can be done using mathematical induction or by assuming the existence of two different factorizations and showing that they must be equal.

2. What are the common obstacles in setting up a proof for unique factorization?

Some common obstacles in setting up a proof for unique factorization include working with unfamiliar mathematical concepts, overlooking special cases, and making logical errors in the proof.

3. Can I use any number to prove unique factorization?

No, to prove unique factorization, you need to use positive integers. This is because negative numbers and fractions can have more than one prime factorization.

4. Are there any helpful tips for setting up a proof for unique factorization?

One helpful tip is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. For example, you can start by proving unique factorization for small numbers and then build up to larger numbers. It can also be helpful to use diagrams or examples to aid in understanding the concept.

5. How important is it to prove unique factorization in mathematics?

Proving unique factorization is crucial in mathematics as it serves as the basis for many other important concepts, such as the Euclidean algorithm, greatest common divisor, and least common multiple. It also allows for simplification of fractions and solving equations involving prime numbers.