Demographics of the PF forum: where do you currently live?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, participants in the PF forums poll were asked to identify which country they currently live in as a permanent resident. The definitions provided for the various regions included in the poll were specific and detailed, and participants were instructed to select the region that best fit their current living situation. Some individuals were confused about how to answer the poll, but ultimately the poll aimed to gather information about the demographics of the PF forums.

Which country do you currently live?

• North America (US & Canada)

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Central America

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caribbean countries

• South America

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Northern & Western Europe

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Eastern Europe

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Southern Europe

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Middle East/Western Asia & North Africa

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Africa (excluding North African countries)

• East Asia

• Southeast Asia

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Central Asia

• South Asia

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Australia & New Zealand

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Oceanic/South Pacific Island countries

• Other

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Prefer Not to Say

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000 said:
OK, we seem to be spending a lot of time debating on whether Mexico is a part of Central America or North America. I should note a few things:

(1) First of all, the breakdown of my poll wasn't intended to be "strictly" accurate as far as geography is concerned.

(2) Strictly speaking, North America includes all of the Central American and Caribbean countries and territories. See the Wikipedia entry below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

So there is no contradiction in stating that Mexico is a part of North America and a part of Central America, since Central America is a subset of North America.
You should have just asked everyone for the longitude and latitude of their current dwelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, I guess the high percentage of members from India that come to PF

1) don't respond to polls

2) only visit homework and Academic Guidance

WWGD said:
I thought everything west of L.A and east of NYC ,other than Chicago was just called "flyover country", but that may just be so in snob geography.

That's Alaska and Hawaii !

So what US states are farthest North, East, West and South?

I think that Iran is mostly regarded as Middle East but not as Central Asia! It led me astray so that I voted Middle East instead of Central Asia.

Alaska, Alaska (I think it crosses the east-west , i.e., 180th east of Greenwich) , Alaska, Hawaii.

saul-steinberg-the-new-yorker-cover-view-of-the-world-from-9th-avenue-march-29-1976.jpg

PaulDirac said:
I think that Iran is mostly regarded as Middle East but not as Central Asia! It led me astray so that I voted Middle East instead of Central Asia.

Iran is a country that sits at the crossroads of the Middle East and Central Asia. Consider it's immediate neighbours:

To the west of Iran is Iraq, part of the Middle East, and Turkey, which is half-Europe and half-Middle East.

To the northwest is Armenia and Azerbaijan, within the Caucasus region which is at the crossroads of Europe and the Middle East.

To the north is Kazakhstan and the Central Asian portion of Russia.

To the northeast is Turkmenistan, a part of Central Asia.

To the east is Afghanistan (a part of Central Asia), and Pakistan (a part of South Asia).

Just as importantly, Persian culture had a tremendous influence on the cultures of Central and South Asia, as much as the influence on the Middle East or the Near East. So Iran could legitimately be classified as part of Central Asia as part of the Middle East.

Evo said:
Iran is considered in the Middle East.

Bahrain
Cyprus
Egypt
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Northern Cyprus
Oman
Palestine
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Turkey[19]
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East#Traditional_definition_of_the_Middle_East

I've seen Iran being included in the traditional definition of the Middle East as well, but I've also seen it included as part of the definition of Central Asia. It's worth noting that these choices tend to be arbitrary. For example, Turkey is also included as part of traditional definition of Europe.

Evo said:

Considered? According to your link Iran was right in the, er, middle of the Middle East originally. I think places like Egypt and Palestine were referred to as Near East as late as the forties or even fifties but the term dropped out of use then, so there is a Far and a Middle but no Near.