Who's the better companion: cats or dogs?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary: I have a few cats and they're fine.In summary, both cats and dogs are great companions, but which one is your favorite?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Dogs ##\gg## cats, no question about it. A dog is a best friend. A cat is just a liability.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dogs. Cats remind me of those managers when I worked at fast food stores.

Matterwave said:
In my experience, since I never owned cats or dogs, whenever I visit someone who owns cats, the cats are always hiding somewhere. Whereas if I visit someone who owns dogs, the dogs come out and want you to pet them.

In my experience, this really depends on the specific personalities/temperaments of the cat or dog. Some cats are very timid and would instinctively hide whenever they see or encounter a stranger, while other cats love people and would come out and rub against anyone new.

It's similar with dogs. I've encountered dogs who are quite timid and would cower away at the back when someone new comes by, or starts barking and becoming defensive when someone new comes over, while other dogs are like those you encounter and would come out and want you to pet them.

Interesting that PF seems to have more dog-lovers than cat-lovers.

I too thought of cats as cold aloof and self centered until i watched a documentary on Elsa the lioness in 'Born Free'. That cat showed affection for the Adamsons, bringing her cubs around to visit the 'grandparents' .
She even came "home" to die.

A cat is less nuisance but for outdoor adventures a dog is a better playmate .

WWGD said:
Which is strange, since I assumed there are more liberals than conservatives in PF...
Nope. Your engineering types favor the Republican type economy, which is more likely to spend big bucks on high tech.

zoobyshoe said:
Nope. Your engineering types favor the Republican type economy, which is more likely to spend big bucks on high tech.
Or we're inveterate "Do-It-Yourself"-ers.

christensen-chrlo1.jpg

courtesy http://galleryone.com/fineart/christensen/CHRLO1.html and James Christensen

Borek said:
Sissy :tongue:

Yeah. When this one cat had a litter of kittens here I got 20 new marks like that on each limb every day. They thought I was a tree and used to have races to the top.

cats (period)

I'd just look in Moustache's eye, and we'd start running and playing around. I love him.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/8831/rps7.jpg
^
Moustache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aawwww, Moustache's moustache looks like a rotated radiation symbol:

vqmee9.png

:!)

Haha

Very cute fur patterns.

StatGuy2000 said:
Interesting that PF seems to have more dog-lovers than cat-lovers.
16:18 and 18 "both" votes. Doesn't look like a significant difference.

Cats.

zoobyshoe said:
Outdoor cats don't seem to be loyal to an owner.
If they would do that, they would rarely come back at all as the world is huge.

My parents have a cat that really enjoys being outside - in summer, she used to appear once per day, eat, maybe stay a while, an leave again, some days she did not come at all - but she clearly knows where she belongs to: in winter, she sleeps at home nearly every night.
She is quite old now and at home much more often, even in summer.

Strange, the only one who voted for neither is me!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ban him! :D

Does CatDog count? I assure you I like it!

mfb said:
If they would do that, they would rarely come back at all as the world is huge.
The tracking collars in AlephZero's link demonstrate most cats aren't comfortable going more than a few block from their home base.

Also:

For example, we saw cats going into houses other than their own.
Over the years I've had many visiting cats who are clearly not feral (well fed and people friendly) come into my place and check it out. One or two seemed to want to move in. I really think that if the food, accommodations, and company are more to their liking, they'll relocate without regrets.

zoobyshoe said:
The tracking collars in AlephZero's link demonstrate most cats aren't comfortable going more than a few block from their home base.

Which is exactly mfb's point.

micromass said:
Which is exactly mfb's point.
I'm pretty sure his point was that they're loyal to one owner.

Or, they have territories, and the size depends how many other cats are around.

I've seen a situation where two cats living in the same house had split it up into weirdly complicated territories with boundaries that are invisible to humans. Their owner had mapped out some of the boundaries, following the observation that moving one of their food dishes a small distance across the kitchen floor was guaranteed to start a cat fight.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm pretty sure his point was that they're loyal to one owner.
And the tracking data show several examples of that, at least within the precision of the GPS data.

mfb said:
And the tracking data show several examples of that, at least within the precision of the GPS data.
How does the data show loyalty? It shows them going into other people's houses.

I was attacked by a pride* of cats once. Wel actually they went for my dog first. But I don't hold it against them. They are very nice in ones or twos, but a but snobbish, you never quite break into their world.

*i guess this must be the word since lions are cats, though I have never heard it used nor any other word for a bunch of cats.

zoobyshoe said:

It shows that their territory is around the house of their human. Furthermore, they spend most of the time near of in the house of their human. So they do acknowledge that it is "their home". I would think that is loyalty.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
It shows that their territory is around the house of their human.

You could argue that is selection bias in the experiment. If you set up an experiment by asking the humans who live in a village about their cats and whether they want to participate in it, you are excluding any cats in the area which no humans consider to be "their cat", or cats that have stopped visiting "their human" for a while for reasons known only to the cat (like the cat in my previous post that went AWOL for a year).

micromass said:
It shows that their territory is around the house of their human. Furthermore, they spend most of the time near of in the house of their human. So they do acknowledge that it is "their home". I would think that is loyalty.
Camping out in the vicinity of, and never straying too far from, an extremely reliable source of food, water, and shelter, shouldn't be confused with loyalty to a human. The fact is, cats always seem to be checking out alternate sources of necessities as well.

zoobyshoe said:
If that would rule out loyalty, no human would ever be loyal.

See micromass.

AlephZero said:
You could argue that is selection bias in the experiment. If you set up an experiment by asking the humans who live in a village about their cats and whether they want to participate in it, you are excluding any cats in the area which no humans consider to be "their cat", or cats that have stopped visiting "their human" for a while for reasons known only to the cat (like the cat in my previous post that went AWOL for a year).
No one questioned the existence of cats without an owner (as seen by the cat or by humans). The discussion is about "do loyal cats exist".

zoobyshoe said:
Camping out in the vicinity of, and never straying too far from, an extremely reliable source of food, water, and shelter, shouldn't be confused with loyalty to a human.

True - nobody says mice are loyal.

epenguin said:
True - nobody says mice are loyal.

Right. Having a territory, for cats, is a matter of familiarity with the relative benefits and dangers of an environment, not a matter of loyalty to people. As a cat "owner" I have never been able to induce one of my cats to follow me more than three blocks from the house. They freak out and become fearful as the environment becomes unfamiliar to them, and eventually turn around and head back. Whatever affection they feel for me is over-ridden by their need to understand and be comfortable with their environment. A dog, on the other hand, will pretty much follow its owner into hell. A dog's territory often seems to be defined as some radius around their owner. A cat's territory, not.