What sub-field of quantum information should I focus on for my research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum information research and how to find a suitable issue to write an article on. The speaker recommends building familiarity and experience by attending schools/workshops/conferences, checking the quant-ph section of ArXiv, and reading review articles. They also mention the need to limit oneself to a specific sub-field, such as quantum-error correction. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that they are currently reviewing introductory chapters before delving into their chosen sub-field.
PaulDirac
Hi everyone,

Recently I read an introduction to quantum information and got interested to begin a research work on it. I am now reading Neilsen's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. There are a lot of things but I don't know how I can find a suitable issue and start writing an article on. Any attempt to help and advise is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PaulDirac said:
There are a lot of things but I don't know how I can find a suitable issue and start writing an article on.

I don't know of any easy way to do this. You'd need to build up enough familiarity and experience with a particular sub-field of quantum information research to get a sense of what people are interested in, what has and hasn't already been done, and what you could reasonably work on yourself. By far the best way to do that is to do a research project, PhD, or postdoc in a good QI research group, depending on your education and experience level.

If actually working in a QI research group isn't an option, there are other ways of getting a sense of what's going on in the field, but my suspicion is that they'd require a lot of patience and self-motivation to see it through:
  • Look up some well known research groups or key researchers in QI and look up what they're working on. Group websites and personal homepages may offer lecture notes online. Quite a few QI researchers also maintain their own blogs.
  • If you have the time and funds, consider attending schools/workshops/conferences. (The biggest QI conference I know of is QIP, which is held annually, but there are many more.)
  • Check the quant-ph section of ArXiv regularly. For this, there's a website called SciRate that I think has a nicer interface. It's also got the advantage that users can log on and "vote" and comment on preprints, which can give you a sense of which work is catching people's eye. (SciRate was originally started by and for the QI community and was extended to cover everything announced on ArXiv not too long ago. There's an option to restrict to just the quant-ph or any other section of ArXiv.)
  • If a particular topic gets your attention or interest, try to see if there's a recent review article on the subject.

Last edited:
wle said:
I don't know of any easy way to do this. You'd need to build up enough familiarity and experience with a particular sub-field of quantum information research to get a sense of what people are interested in, what has and hasn't already been done, and what you could reasonably work on yourself. By far the best way to do that is to do a research project, PhD, or postdoc in a good QI research group, depending on your education and experience level.

If actually working in a QI research group isn't an option, there are other ways of getting a sense of what's going on in the field, but my suspicion is that they'd require a lot of patience and self-motivation to see it through:
  • Look up some well known research groups or key researchers in QI and look up what they're working on. Group websites and personal homepages may offer lecture notes online. Quite a few QI researchers also maintain their own blogs.
  • If you have the time and funds, consider attending schools/workshops/conferences. (The biggest QI conference I know of is QIP, which is held annually, but there are many more.)
  • Check the quant-ph section of ArXiv regularly. For this, there's a website called SciRate that I think has a nicer interface. It's also got the advantage that users can log on and "vote" and comment on preprints, which can give you a sense of which work is catching people's eye. (SciRate was originally started by and for the QI community and was extended to cover everything announced on ArXiv not too long ago. There's an option to restrict to just the quant-ph or any other section of ArXiv.)
  • If a particular topic gets your attention or interest, try to see if there's a recent review article on the subject.

thank you very much. That helped a lot.

You haven't stated which part of quantum information you want to work in. You should know that quantum information in particular is a very broad field as far as physics go. Since no one really knows which type of implementation will work the best for quantum information processing yet, it's being investigated on an extremely broad front. This means you will need to read up on more specific physics as well, such as ion traps, superconducting qubits or defect centers. You will need to limit yourself to a specific sub-field, and for doing that I can recommend searching for focused review papers, the ones in Reviews of Modern Physics (RMP) are usually a good place to start.

Zarqon said:
You haven't stated which part of quantum information you want to work in. You should know that quantum information in particular is a very broad field as far as physics go. Since no one really knows which type of implementation will work the best for quantum information processing yet, it's being investigated on an extremely broad front. This means you will need to read up on more specific physics as well, such as ion traps, superconducting qubits or defect centers. You will need to limit yourself to a specific sub-field, and for doing that I can recommend searching for focused review papers, the ones in Reviews of Modern Physics (RMP) are usually a good place to start.

Thanks. Yes I know that I should concentrate on a specific sub-field as it is being a broad area of physics. I am reading a book now but have heard of quantum-error correction which is under research by many groups in the world. I think I will intensively focus on that sub-field as soon as I reach the topic in the book. I'm now reading the introductions and reviewing introductory chapters such as history of QI and some required quantum physics postulates that are regarded as compulsory materials before heading the field. so do you think that it is worthwhile putting time and energy on it?

Last edited:

1. What is quantum information research?

Quantum information research is a field of study that focuses on the manipulation, storage, and transmission of information using principles from quantum mechanics. It aims to harness the unique properties of quantum systems to develop more powerful and efficient methods for processing information.

2. What are the potential applications of quantum information research?

The potential applications of quantum information research are vast, ranging from secure communication to high-speed computing and cryptography. Other potential uses include quantum sensors, quantum simulation, and quantum metrology.

3. How is quantum information different from classical information?

Quantum information is fundamentally different from classical information because it relies on the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for the existence of superposition and entanglement. This means that quantum systems can store and process information in ways that are not possible with classical systems.

4. What are some challenges in quantum information research?

One of the biggest challenges in quantum information research is achieving and maintaining quantum coherence, which is necessary for performing quantum operations. Other challenges include developing reliable methods for error correction and scaling up quantum systems to a larger number of qubits.

5. How can quantum information research impact our daily lives?

Quantum information research has the potential to revolutionize many aspects of our daily lives. It could lead to faster and more secure communication, more powerful computers, and advances in fields such as healthcare, finance, and transportation. It may also lead to new technologies that we can't even imagine yet.