Optics and fluid dynamics simulation software

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for software to simulate gas flow from a nozzle as well as optics, including the propagation of light and image formation. Some suggestions were given, such as CFD software for fluids and a raytracer for optics. It was also mentioned that there are free versions available for educational purposes. Additionally, tools for creating images were recommended, including Inkscape for vector graphics and RayLab for simple optics designs on the iPad.
Goodver
I am doing "Schlieren imaging" visualization of a gas flow from the nozzle.

could anyone please recommend a software to simulate a gas flow from the nozzle.

in addition please recommend a software to simulate optics, like the propagation of a light beam through the optics and image formation.

also tools to create such images: http://www.aor.com/images/ad61.gif

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Goodver said:
I am doing "Schlieren imaging" visualization of a gas flow from the nozzle.

could anyone please recommend a software to simulate a gas flow from the nozzle.
CFD software can be fairly expensive, so what's your budget? Are you a student at a college/university perhaps?

I don't know of any good free alternatives. Maybe have a look around on Google.

Goodver said:
in addition please recommend a software to simulate optics, like the propagation of a light beam through the optics and image formation.
I used OSLO once (ignore the hideous webpage) and it served me well enough for my small application. They have a free version for educational purposes.

Goodver said:
also tools to create such images: http://www.aor.com/images/ad61.gif
Try Inkscape. It's a great software package for creating vector graphics and it's free and open source.

Likes 1 person
Look at OpenFOAM for the fluids which is free and very powerful - it's the internal solver of some high priced commercial software.

For optics, maybe a raytracer is what you're after? Eg POVRay.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

2tioker, yes I just found out about OpenFOAM, looks very promising. Also, "Blender" software for fluid dynamics, looks very fascinating, however as far as I understood it is more for Art purposes rather than for scientific evaluations.

For simple optics designs you can try RayLab on the iPad. It is very simple and does not have all the capability of applications like Zemax, OSLO, and Code 5. But then again it only costs a few dollars. It is intended for learning about optics... Disclaimer-I am actually the developer for RayLab.

Yea I'm not sure if the arty raytracers are accurate enough. Blender is primarily a modelling program, though it might have ray-tracing capabilities too.

kghandi - Interesting to see simulation apps on mobile now.

1. What is optics and fluid dynamics simulation software?

Optics and fluid dynamics simulation software is a type of computer program that allows scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze the behavior of light and fluids in various systems. It uses mathematical models and algorithms to predict the behavior of these systems and can be used to study a wide range of phenomena, including light propagation, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

2. What are the benefits of using optics and fluid dynamics simulation software?

There are several benefits to using this type of software, including the ability to accurately model and predict the behavior of complex systems, the ability to visualize and analyze data in real-time, and the ability to simulate different scenarios and test hypotheses without the need for physical experimentation. It can also save time and resources in the design and optimization of systems, as well as improve accuracy and reduce errors.

3. What industries or fields commonly use optics and fluid dynamics simulation software?

Optics and fluid dynamics simulation software is used in a wide range of industries and fields, including aerospace, automotive, biomedical engineering, environmental science, and manufacturing. It is also commonly used in research and development for academic and government institutions.

4. What are some examples of applications for optics and fluid dynamics simulation software?

Some common applications for this type of software include the design and optimization of optical systems such as lenses and mirrors, the analysis and prediction of fluid flow in pipes and channels, the study of heat transfer in various materials, and the simulation of atmospheric and oceanic conditions. It can also be used in the development of new technologies, such as microfluidics and optical sensors.

5. How does optics and fluid dynamics simulation software work?

This type of software uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of light and fluids in different systems. It takes into account various parameters such as material properties, boundary conditions, and environmental factors to accurately predict the behavior of these systems. The software also allows for the visualization of results through graphs, charts, and 3D models, making it easier to analyze and interpret the data.