Calculating Puck Speed After Collision

In summary, two hockey pucks with the same mass collide on a smooth ice surface. One puck, A, was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and deflects 30.0° from its original direction. The other puck, B, acquires a velocity at a 45.0° angle to A's original direction. After the collision, the speed of puck A is 29.3 m/s and the speed of puck B is 20.7 m/s. To find these values, the conservation of momentum is used to create two equations with two unknowns, Va2 and Vb2. The correct equations do not include a minus sign in the second equation, as the pucks deflect in different directions
Swatch
A hockey puck B rests on smooth ice surface and is struck by a second puck A, which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0° from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0° angle to the original direction of A. The pucks have the same mass. Compute the speed of each puck after the collision.

Va2 =speed puck A after collision
Vb2 = speed puck B after collision

So far my work is:

Since the momentum is conserved for both components I did this.

Va2 = (40-Vb2*(cos(45) )/cos(30)

Vb2 = (-Va2*sin(30) )/sin(45)

Okey. I have 2 unknowns I need to find and 2 equations.
When I compute these 2 I don't get the right answer.

The right answer is Va2=29.3 and Vb2=20.7

Could someone please give me a hint to what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Swatch said:
A hockey puck B rests on smooth ice surface and is struck by a second puck A, which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0° from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0° angle to the original direction of A. The pucks have the same mass. Compute the speed of each puck after the collision.

Va2 =speed puck A after collision
Vb2 = speed puck B after collision

So far my work is:

Since the momentum is conserved for both components I did this.

Va2 = (40-Vb2*(cos(45) )/cos(30)

Vb2 = (-Va2*sin(30) )/sin(45)

Okey. I have 2 unknowns I need to find and 2 equations.
When I compute these 2 I don't get the right answer.

The right answer is Va2=29.3 and Vb2=20.7

Could someone please give me a hint to what I'm doing wrong.

It's probably that minus sign in your second equation. Your velocity variables are both positive.

I got
Va2 = (Va1 - Vb2cos45)/cos30
Vb2 = Va2sin30/sin45

So, I have no - (minus) in the latter equation, as the pucks, naturally, deflect in different directions.

With these equations I get the correct answers.

EDIT: I'm a slow typer.

Thanks guys. :approve:

What is the formula for calculating puck speed after collision?

The formula for calculating puck speed after collision is v = (m1 * v1 + m2 * v2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final puck speed, m is the mass of the puck, and v is the initial speed of the puck.

How do I calculate the mass of the puck?

The mass of the puck can be calculated by dividing the weight of the puck (in grams) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

What units should be used for calculating puck speed after collision?

The units for calculating puck speed after collision should be consistent. Most commonly, the units used are meters per second (m/s) for speed and kilograms (kg) for mass.

Can the formula for calculating puck speed after collision be applied to all collisions?

Yes, the formula can be applied to all collisions as long as the masses and initial speeds of the objects involved are known.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated puck speed after collision?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated puck speed after collision include air resistance, the elasticity of the objects involved, and any external forces applied during the collision.