Discover the Fascinating 6-Legged Frog in China | Latest News Update

• Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary: Anyway, to create a frog with more than 8 legs, you would need to move a disc of development from a fly with more than 8 legs. Then, you would need to turn on or off certain genes to create the desired outcome.
neurocomp2003
saw it on the news today...

Biology news on Phys.org
You should head to the nearest Ripleys Believe it or Not museums.
5 to 8 legged calfs
two headed newts
multi-head-legged frogs
siamese turtle
doe with antlers

somewhat disturbing photos of people with:
3 hands, 2 mouths, misplaced ears and things too bazaar to mention here.

Most of these are not genetic, odds are the 6 legged frog may not produce 6 legged off spring. Birth defects happen in all living things.
Odd genetic defects are rare, but some such as dental deformities are common.

Well, by the way I would like to ask people here this, I think biotechnology has developed so far that sure it can help us create our own animals, for instance frogs, like what if we plan to create frogs with more than 8 legs. They are not 'pure' animals anymore, although I think they can get themselves well fitted with our surroundings soon but how long do you think will they be able to cope with our environment ? Is this just hard to explain or clearly state ?

A species with such mutation as far as I see doesn't cause any harm to the environment and to themselves either. So what do you think ?

Richard Dawkin's book "Climbing Mount Improbable" has a neat/disturbing photo of a frog with eyes in its mouth instead of atop its head (example of a macro-mutation). Couldn't find a photo on the 'net to share with y'all.

Emieno said:
Well, by the way I would like to ask people here this, I think biotechnology has developed so far that sure it can help us create our own animals, for instance frogs, like what if we plan to create frogs with more than 8 legs. They are not 'pure' animals anymore, although I think they can get themselves well fitted with our surroundings soon but how long do you think will they be able to cope with our environment ? Is this just hard to explain or clearly state ?

A species with such mutation as far as I see doesn't cause any harm to the environment and to themselves either. So what do you think ?

Yeah, I think that'd be doable. You can, for example, move imaginal discs from flies around and get ectopic development of whatever structure you like.

But why would you? What sort of application are you imagining? A new pet?

Hi All,

I have just seen those kind of mutation on Discovery Channel.
Some parasites larva of the frog disturb the normal growth of tadpoles to create those monsters which are then more easy to catch/eaten by metamorphed larva.

pattylou said:
Yeah, I think that'd be doable. You can, for example, move imaginal discs from flies around and get ectopic development of whatever structure you like.

But why would you? What sort of application are you imagining? A new pet?
Please be straight on what I am trying to ask for, not on what I am trying to imagine, what is going to be any different if it is an application or not an application.
So, your deas on how that could be accomplished are ?
If possible, tell me how you can do tat in lab, what genes do you think should be turned on or off ?
Thanks a lot if you could offer me some help. :wink:

[By the way, I don't think all of the people in biology understand about virtual disks of computer, if you can, please mention information related to biology in a correct way. Metaphor or not, your choice, as what you like!:wink:]

Emieno said:
Please be straight on what I am trying to ask for, not on what I am trying to imagine, what is going to be any different if it is an application or not an application.
So, your deas on how that could be accomplished are ?
If possible, tell me how you can do tat in lab, what genes do you think should be turned on or off ?
Thanks a lot if you could offer me some help. :wink:

[By the way, I don't think all of the people in biology understand about virtual disks of computer, if you can, please mention information related to biology in a correct way. Metaphor or not, your choice, as what you like!:wink:]

She was being straight with you. When she is talking about "imaginal disks" she's talking about specific structures in the developing fly with that name, not imaginary computer disks, or whatever it was you thought she said. :smile:

1. What is the 6-legged frog in China?

The 6-legged frog in China is a unique and rare species of frog that has six legs instead of the usual four. It belongs to the family Ranidae and is commonly found in the Sichuan province of China.

2. How did scientists discover this frog?

The 6-legged frog in China was first discovered in 2012 by a team of Chinese scientists during a field survey in the Sichuan province. They noticed a group of frogs with six legs, which led to further investigation and confirmation of a new species.

3. What makes this frog so fascinating?

The 6-legged frog in China is fascinating because it is the only known species of frog with six legs. It is also believed to be the result of a genetic mutation, making it a rare and unique find in the world of amphibians.

4. Is the 6-legged frog in China endangered?

Currently, the 6-legged frog in China is not considered an endangered species. However, its population and habitat are constantly threatened by human activities such as urbanization and pollution.

5. Are there any conservation efforts in place for this frog?

Yes, there are conservation efforts in place for the 6-legged frog in China. The Sichuan Province has designated the area where it was discovered as a protected zone to ensure its habitat is preserved. Additionally, studies and research are being conducted to better understand and protect this unique species.