Navy Nuke Student lookin for information

In summary, the speaker is currently a Navy Fireman at NNPTC and is wondering about their future job prospects in either the civilian job market or staying in the navy. They were considering the nuke program but ultimately decided against it due to being a few credits shy of an AS degree. They feel stuck with nukes and may have limited options unless they go back to school again.
Matthew Fitz
Im currently a Navy Fireman at NNPTC, I am already experiencing the school and getting by... but i wanted to know, what kind of out look I am looking for in the future as far as civilain job markets or staying in the navy... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was looking into the nuke program, I was told I would be a few credits shy of an AS degree. That's why I said "nuts to that". Basically I'm stuck with nukes. Maybe you could get a job at a nuclear plant or some other military job, but I think you're stuck with nukes unless you go back to school again.

PL

As a fellow Navy Nuke student, I can understand your concerns about your future career options. The good news is that your training and experience as a Navy Fireman at NNPTC will open up a wide range of opportunities for you in both the civilian job market and within the Navy.

In the civilian job market, your skills and knowledge in nuclear technology will be highly sought after in industries such as power generation, engineering, and even healthcare. Many companies value the discipline, technical expertise, and strong work ethic that comes with being a Navy Nuke, making you a desirable candidate for various positions.

If you choose to stay in the Navy, you will have the opportunity for advancement and leadership roles within the nuclear field. The Navy also offers various programs and benefits for continuing education and training, which can help you further develop your skills and advance your career.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to pursue a civilian job or stay in the Navy will depend on your personal goals and priorities. I recommend talking to your chain of command and reaching out to other Navy Nukes who have transitioned to civilian careers for more insights and advice. Whichever path you choose, your experience at NNPTC will serve as a strong foundation for your future success. Best of luck to you!

1. What is a "Navy Nuke"?

A "Navy Nuke" or "Nuclear Navy" refers to the group of personnel in the United States Navy who work with and operate nuclear-powered propulsion systems on ships and submarines.

2. What is the process for becoming a Navy Nuke?

The process for becoming a Navy Nuke involves completing basic training and then attending the Nuclear Power School, followed by hands-on training at a Nuclear Power Training Unit. This process typically takes 2-3 years.

3. What qualifications do I need to become a Navy Nuke?

To become a Navy Nuke, you must be a U.S. citizen, have a high school diploma, pass a physical exam, and meet certain academic requirements in math, science, and English. You must also pass a security clearance and undergo a rigorous background check.

4. What type of work do Navy Nukes do?

Navy Nukes are responsible for operating and maintaining the nuclear power systems on ships and submarines. This includes monitoring and controlling the nuclear reactor, as well as performing maintenance and repairs on the equipment.

5. What are the benefits of being a Navy Nuke?

Some benefits of being a Navy Nuke include a competitive salary, specialized training and experience in a high-demand field, opportunities for career advancement, and the potential for travel and deployment to different locations around the world.