Does the speed of a wave in a spring depend on the maximum speed of each coil?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the effect of the maximum speed of each coil on a longitudinal wave in a spring. The question is unclear and confusing, but the summary explains that the speed of the wave is determined by its frequency and wavelength, while the maximum speed of each coil is determined by its amplitude and frequency. Therefore, the maximum speed of each coil does not affect the speed of the longitudinal wave.
insertnamehere
Hi again. I'm going crazy over this question. Does a longitudinal wave in a spring depend on the maximum speed of each coil? Me, I've always thought that the transverse velocity of the Particle or coil remains constant and independent of the wave speed itself. Am I wrong? Or did I misunderstand the question itself. I really need help. Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
insertnamehere said:
Hi again. I'm going crazy over this question. Does a longitudinal wave in a spring depend on the maximum speed of each coil?

If that's the way the question appears in your book then it would make anyone crazy, because it makes no sense!

Does what about a longitudinal wave in a spring depend on the max speed of each coil?

Here's the question: In a longitudinal wave in a spring, the coils move back and forth in the direction of wave motion. Does the speed of the wave depend on the maximum speed of each coil?
Maybe I don't understand the question, but I always though that the speed of each coil (which would be transverse due to the motion of particles perpendicular to the propagation of the wave) remains independent and has no effect on the longitudinal waves. But I'm sooo confused! Help!

Well, for a longitudinal wave traveling to the right the displacement [itex]y(x,t)[/itex] from its equilibrium position is [itex]y(x,t)=y_m\sin(kx-\omega t)[/itex]. The wave speed is [itex]v_{wave}=\frac{\omega}{k}[/itex], and the maximum speed of a coil is [itex]|(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})_{max}|=|y_m|\omega[/itex].

What does that tell you?

Last edited:

1. Does the speed of a wave in a spring depend on the maximum speed of each coil?

Yes, the speed of a wave in a spring is directly proportional to the maximum speed of each coil. This means that as the maximum speed of each coil increases, the speed of the wave in the spring also increases.

2. How is the speed of a wave in a spring calculated?

The speed of a wave in a spring can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed of the wave, T is the tension in the spring, and μ is the mass per unit length of the spring.

3. Can the speed of a wave in a spring be changed?

Yes, the speed of a wave in a spring can be changed by altering the tension in the spring or the mass per unit length. Increasing the tension or decreasing the mass per unit length will result in a higher speed of the wave.

4. Does the material of the spring affect the speed of the wave?

Yes, the speed of a wave in a spring is affected by the material of the spring. Different materials have different properties such as elasticity and density, which can impact the speed of the wave.

5. How does the amplitude of the wave affect its speed in a spring?

The amplitude of the wave does not directly affect the speed of a wave in a spring. However, a larger amplitude can result in a higher maximum speed of each coil, which in turn can impact the overall speed of the wave in the spring.