Why can't i calculate this system of electric potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential energy for a system of three quarks in the quark model. The formula for electric potential energy and a possible mistake in unit conversion are addressed in response to a question about the calculation being wrong. The correct unit for electric potential energy is Joules (J) rather than electron volts (eV).
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm having troubles figuring out why this problem is wrong. In the quark model of fundamental particles, a proton is composed of three quarks: two "up" quarks, each having charge +2e/3, and one "down" quark, having charge -e/3. Suppose that the three quarks are equidistant from one another. Take the distance to be 1.32 10-15 m.

(a) Calculate the electric potential energy of the system of only the two "up" quarks.
wrong check mark eV
(b) Repeat for all three quarks.
eV

for (a) I used the following i found in the boook:
The electric potential enegery of a system of fixed point charges is equal to the work that must be done by an external agent to assemble the sytem, bringing each chage in from an infintie distance.

U = W = q2V = (1/4Pi*Eo)((q1*q2)/r);
U = (1/4Pi*Eo)(2/3)^2/(1.32e-15m) = 3.03E24 eV which is wrong, what did i mess up? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, thank you for sharing your question with us. After looking at your calculations, I believe you may have made a mistake in your unit conversion. The formula you have used for electric potential energy is correct, but the unit for electric potential energy is typically expressed in Joules (J) rather than electron volts (eV). So, your answer of 3.03E24 eV should actually be 3.03E-9 J. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

I can tell you that the reason why you are not able to calculate the electric potential of this system is because you are using the wrong formula. The formula you used is for calculating the electric potential energy between two point charges, but in this case, you have three charges that are equidistant from each other.

To calculate the electric potential energy of a system of point charges, you need to use the formula: U = (1/4πε0)∑(qi*qj)/rij, where ∑ represents the sum of all possible combinations of charges, qi and qj are the charges of the particles, and rij is the distance between them.

Applying this formula to your problem, for (a), you will have two terms in the summation, one for the interaction between the two "up" quarks and one for the self-energy of each "up" quark. For (b), you will have three terms in the summation, accounting for the interaction between all three quarks and their self-energies.

I hope this helps you understand why your calculations were incorrect. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific system you are trying to calculate.

1. Why do I need to calculate electric potential?

Electric potential is a fundamental concept in the field of electricity and magnetism. It is a measure of the potential energy of charged particles in an electric field. Understanding electric potential is crucial for understanding many phenomena and applications, such as circuits, motors, and generators.

2. What is the reason for not being able to calculate a system of electric potential?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty calculating a system of electric potential. It could be due to insufficient information about the system, incorrect equations or assumptions being used, or a lack of understanding of the underlying principles. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and seek help if needed.

3. How can I improve my ability to calculate electric potential?

Improving your ability to calculate electric potential requires a strong understanding of the underlying principles and equations. It is important to practice solving various problems and seek guidance from experts or textbooks. Additionally, having a solid foundation in mathematics and physics can greatly aid in your ability to calculate electric potential.

4. Can I use a calculator to calculate electric potential?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate electric potential. However, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved in order to use the calculator correctly. Be sure to input the correct values and units and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating electric potential?

There are limitations to calculating electric potential, as it is a theoretical concept that relies on simplifying assumptions and ideal conditions. In real-world scenarios, there may be factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance that can affect the accuracy of calculations. It is important to recognize these limitations and use the appropriate equations and techniques to account for them.