Calculate Horizontal Force & Power Output for 50kg Sprinter

In summary, a 50kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 50m in 7.0s at constant acceleration. The magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter can be calculated using the equation F=ma. At 2.0s, 4.0s, and 6.0s, the sprinter's power output can be calculated using kinematics equations and Newton's second law. It is important to note that the average velocity principle cannot be used in this scenario due to the presence of constant acceleration.
maki
A 50kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 50m in 7.0s at constant acceleration.
a) What is the magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter?
b) What is the sprinter's power output at 2.0s, 4.0s, and 6.0s?
I think maybe the 'magnitude' part is confusing me.
F = ma
V(avg) = (50-0)/(7-0) = 50/7
A = (50/7)/7 = 50/49
F= 50kg * 50/49
F is exactly half of what the answer in my book says, what do I need to do and why?
Thank You,
in advance =o

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the question explicitly states that there is a constant acceleration you cannot use the average velocity principle. You should instead refer to your kinematics equations:

[tex] d = v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

and solve for the acceleration. Once you get acceleration, as you have shown you understand, you may apply it to Newton's second law.

works so much better that way, ty ;p

1. How do I calculate the horizontal force for a 50kg sprinter?

To calculate the horizontal force for a 50kg sprinter, you will need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. In this case, the mass is 50kg and the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the sprinter's speed by the time it takes to complete the sprint.

2. What is the power output of a 50kg sprinter?

The power output of a 50kg sprinter can be calculated by using the formula P=Fv, where P is power in watts, F is force in Newtons, and v is velocity in meters per second. You can calculate the force using the formula mentioned above and the velocity can be calculated by dividing the sprinter's distance by the time it takes to complete the sprint.

3. How do I convert the power output of a 50kg sprinter to horsepower?

To convert the power output of a 50kg sprinter from watts to horsepower, you can use the conversion factor 1 horsepower = 745.7 watts. Simply divide the power output in watts by 745.7 to get the equivalent in horsepower.

4. Is there a difference in horizontal force and power output between male and female sprinters?

Yes, there may be a difference in horizontal force and power output between male and female sprinters. This is because males and females have different average body compositions and muscle mass, which can affect their ability to generate force and power.

5. How does wind resistance affect the horizontal force and power output of a 50kg sprinter?

Wind resistance can significantly affect the horizontal force and power output of a 50kg sprinter. The stronger the wind resistance, the more force and power the sprinter will need to overcome it and maintain their speed. This is why sprinters often try to run with the wind at their backs, as it can improve their overall performance.