Stream Video to PDA: Best Format & Server Options for Optimal Playback

• Thread starter primal schemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, if you want to use VLC on your Pocket PC, you will need to encode the video into a different format (probably .wmv) and use a streaming server.
primal schemer
Hi All,

I need to stream some video to a PDA (running windows CE). At the moment the video is in MPEG-4 format, and I could stream this using the darwin server, but I don't know of any player that is capable of playing a streaming MPEG-4 file. So, I don't mind changing the video format to a different one.

Basically I just want the PDA to be able to open a file on a server somewhere (this is video on demand right??)

I have used windows media player on it to stream .wmv files from a webpage, so maybe .wmv would be a good format to use? But what sort of streaming server should I use (even if it costs money).

Anyone any ideas??

PS

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Unsure about streaming servers, but Videolan might be a good choice...
As far as I know, VLC is available for the Pocket PC and I don't imagine it would be too hard getting x.264 and thus MPEG-4 files running on your Pocket PC...
But when you say streaming servers, I don't know if you're talking hardware-wise or software-wise? (Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about, whatever)
But in the videos' current format, your best bet is to get x.264 running with VLC on your Pocket PC, along with the required audio (AAC?) codec.

Hi,

Yeah, I had looked at VLC, and I thought it was going to be a great solution. Unfortunately when I loaded it onto my PDA and tried to play a file, the audio played with no video. At first I though it might be because it was MPEG-4 video, but when I played an MPEG-1 video, or an AVI, the same thing happened (audio but no video).

At the moment looking to use windows media server, which means encoding all the video into .wmv :-(

PS

From the VLC site:

"The WinCE port of VLC is still experimental but you can get nightly builds for the Xscale platform. Use at your own risk ;)"

The issue with the Xscale platform is that it doesn't have a floating point unit so you either have to use software floating point or only use integer math. Thus taking already existing software can porting it to this platform can involve a lot of code rewrite.

1. What is streaming video?

Streaming video is a method of transmitting video data over the internet in a continuous flow, allowing users to watch videos in real-time without having to download the entire file.

2. How does streaming video work?

Streaming video works by breaking down a video into small segments and sending them in a continuous stream to the user's device. The user's device then plays the segments as they are received, creating the illusion of a continuous video.

3. What equipment do I need to stream video?

To stream video, you will need a device with internet access, such as a computer, smartphone, or smart TV. You will also need a reliable internet connection to ensure smooth playback.

4. Is streaming video different from downloading?

Yes, streaming video is different from downloading. When you stream a video, you are watching it in real-time as it is transmitted over the internet. Downloading a video means saving the entire file onto your device to watch later.

5. Are there any limitations to streaming video?

There can be limitations to streaming video, such as the quality of the video being affected by the strength of your internet connection. Additionally, some streaming services may have restrictions on the number of devices that can access the stream simultaneously.