Can You Close a Thread? | Get the Answer Here

• Thread starter jwriter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of irrelevant information in a thread and the possibility of closing it and starting a new one if necessary. The moderator suggests using the "Report" button to highlight the issue and explains how to tell if a thread is closed. They also advise on how to keep the conversation on topic and how to start a new thread.
jwriter
Dear moderator - sometimes a thread gets so full of irrelevant information that it is no use to anybody, including the OP. The problem is nobody is going to read it, even if there is a useful answer buried at the bottom. Frustrating.

I would like to close it and start a new thread asking the question a different way. Please let me know if you can do this and I will send you the link. Would really appreciate it. I am still hoping to get an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you see a thread you think needs to be closed simply report it using the report button under a nameplate. Choose a post that you think is an appropriate example of why the thread is no longer useful/contains irrelevant information. Then in the report window write a detailed description of what problem you are trying to highlight.

Thank you. Wow, you are prompt! I just read about using the Report button in another thread and was going to do that.

jwriter said:
Wow, you are prompt!
Here at Physics Forums we aim to please :approve:

So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic - kind of like herding chickens. Oh well.

Can you advise how to tell if a thread is closed? So far I have not seen how this is designated. Also, if I make a request to have a thread closed, will I get a response? Or is the answer simply that the thread is, or is not closed? Thanks.

The new reply button will say locked and will have a key picture on it like this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/threadclosed.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
jwriter said:
So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome to the forum. I love your optimism.

jwriter said:
Can you advise how to tell if a thread is closed?

In a forum's thread list, a locked thread has an icon with a little padlock on it.

Attachments

• locked.jpg
    locked.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 454
When a thread is locked no one can post anymore nor edit their posts and as rollcast points out the locked symbol will appear at the top and bottom of the page.

A thread is generally only locked if it doesn't comply with the rules, if the conversation goes greatly off topic, if the matter is settled but members keep repeating themselves or if it is a very old threads. When a thread is requested to be locked the mentors discuss it to see if it is warranted but as a rule we don't lock a thread without good reason.

jwriter said:
So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic - kind of like herding chickens. Oh well.

BTW, you can actually enforce this, rather than having to abandon a thread. You can request that users stay on topic, and if they do not, you can report posts that are off-topic. Mods will review the posts and, if they agree that it is sufficiently off-topic, will remove them.

It happens all the time here.

The key is to ensure at the outset that users are aware how narrow you want the focus to be and to keep that up. This helps the mods assess it too.

Only if they got there on time DaveC426913, otherwise, the accelerated post rate won't leave a chance to anything but https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/threadclosed.gif

You've seen this in P &WA.

can you guys help me in writing a thread. I'm not getting any idea. Ijust found this topic and i m posting this here...please help. I'm new to physics forum and i m completely lost!

partho550 said:
can you guys help me in writing a thread. I'm not getting any idea. Ijust found this topic and i m posting this here...please help. I'm new to physics forum and i m completely lost!

Choose an appropriate forum and enter it. At the bottom, there should be a https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif button.

DaveC426913 said:
Choose an appropriate forum and enter it. At the bottom, there should be a https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif button.

Never knew there was one at the bottom! I always use the one at the top. Ha!

How can we start new thread or post?

ZunairaMaryam said:
How can we start new thread or post?

Suppose you want to ask a question in introductory physics.
Then you should open the appropriate sub forum, which is:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

At the top, you'll see the button https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif .
Click it, and you're starting a new thread.

1. Can you give a brief explanation of what it means to "close" a thread?

Closing a thread typically refers to the act of preventing any further comments or responses on a particular online discussion. This is usually done by a moderator or administrator to maintain the integrity and relevance of the conversation.

2. Why would a thread need to be closed?

Threads are often closed to prevent off-topic or inappropriate comments from being posted, to maintain a civil and respectful discussion, or to prevent spam or trolling. In some cases, a thread may also be closed after a certain amount of time has passed to keep the discussion current and relevant.

3. Who has the authority to close a thread?

The authority to close a thread depends on the specific platform or forum. In some cases, moderators or administrators have the ability to close threads, while in others, the original poster or other members may also be able to close a thread.

4. Can a closed thread be reopened?

In most cases, a closed thread cannot be reopened. However, some platforms may allow moderators or administrators to reopen a closed thread if necessary. If you believe a closed thread should be reopened, you can contact the appropriate authority on the platform to request it.

5. How does closing a thread affect the overall discussion or conversation?

Closing a thread can help maintain the focus and relevance of the discussion, prevent unnecessary arguments or spam, and promote a more civil and respectful environment for participants. However, it can also limit the ability for new perspectives or information to be shared, so it should be used carefully and judiciously.