Explaining the concept of Watt to me

In summary, there is no specific temperature equivalent for 1 watt as it is a rate of heat flow. The concept of enthalpy and the specific heat constant of a substance are needed to calculate the temperature change caused by a certain amount of heat. The wattage of an oven can only tell you how much heat it is producing, but not necessarily how much the temperature will change.
TSN79
A guy was explaining the concept of Watt to me, using a drawing of a machine that used 1 Joule per second, i.e. an oven. This one watt is now converted into heat, but excactly how much heat does 1 watt equal in terms of temperature? I'm not even sure if there is a relation, but if not, how is an oven of let's say 2 kW supposed to tell me anything of use?

Someone also told me that explaining this would require me to know the concept of enthalpy...anyone...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
4.19 Joules = 1 Calorie = the amount of heat required to raise 1g (1mL) of water 1C.

So let's say a 1500W microwave oven is 50% efficient and you want to boil 1L of 20C water...

1000mL*80C*4.19=335,200J

335,200J/750J/s=447s=7.45 minutes

Last edited:
TSN79 said:
how much heat does 1 watt equal in terms of temperature? I'm not even sure if there is a relation, but if not, how is an oven of let's say 2 kW supposed to tell me anything of use?

Nope. It doesn't tell you much without knowing where that 2kJ per second is going. Heat is related to temperature by the calorimetric equation

Q = mCT

where Q is the heat exchanged, m is the mass, C is the specific heat constant of the substance and T is the temperature change. So depending on what you're heating with that 2kW, you will end up with different temperature changes (e.g. it's easier to 1 gallon of air than 1 gallon of water).

On another note, the 2kW does tell you something: how much you will be needing to pay on your electric bill ;)

TSN79 said:
but excactly how much heat does 1 watt equal in terms of temperature?
Yes, you are confused. 1watt is not an amount of heat; it is a rate of heat flow. It's like you are asking: 40mph is how long a distance?

1. What is a Watt?

A Watt is a unit of measurement for power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. It is commonly used to measure the amount of electricity used by a device or the amount of work done by a machine.

2. How is a Watt different from a Joule?

A Watt and a Joule are both units of measurement for energy, but they measure different aspects. A Watt measures the rate of energy transfer, while a Joule measures the amount of energy transferred.

3. How do you calculate Watts?

Watts can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy (in Joules) by the time it takes to transfer that energy (in seconds). This formula is represented as Watts = Joules / Seconds.

4. What is the significance of a Watt in everyday life?

Watts are used to measure the power consumption of household appliances, such as light bulbs, computers, and refrigerators. It helps us understand and manage our energy usage, which can impact our electricity bills and the environment.

5. Can you give an example of a Watt in action?

Sure, a 100-watt light bulb uses 100 joules of energy every second to produce light. A 60-watt light bulb uses 60 joules of energy every second. This means that the 100-watt light bulb is brighter and uses more energy than the 60-watt light bulb.