How does water respond to repelling magnets and vice versa?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of magnets repelling each other and how they may interact with water flowing over a plane. It is mentioned that ordinary water should not have an effect on the magnetic field between two magnets, but in certain circumstances, such as with water containing iron, there may be disruptions. Additionally, the conversation touches on the phenomenon of magnetohydrodynamic drive and the use of magnetic fields in medical imaging.
lorp
an old 'newbie' with first post. excuse my physics knowledge it has been a long time since college.
>>>QUESTION below<<<
Magnets repel (each other).
If repelling 'each other' through a plane (ex. piece of glass) and water is allowed to flow over the plane.
WHAT will happen to the water when approaches magnets that are repelling? likewise what will happen to repelling magnets?

I would love thought/answer.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Lorp!

Just for clarity, when you say "magnets repel", do you mean two magnets that repel each other, or a set of magnets that repel water?

claification:

magnets repelling each other.

As long as the water is clean, they should have almost no effect at all on one another. In the town where I grew up, the water that came out of the tap had a lot of iron in it, and that would disrupt the magnetic field between two magnets, but ordinary water shouldn't effect it at all.

Will the water flow between the magnets?

yes.

If I recall correctly, water is very weakly repelled by magnets, so with sufficiently powerfull magnets, you're likely to see some effects of the water. (Possibly including no water flowing between the magnets.)

There is a famous demonstration where a frog is floated above a powerfull electromagnet:

http://www.hfml.sci.kun.nl/froglev.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying Frogs. Thanks!

And there's also the phenominon of magnetohydrodynamic drive, but I believe that in order for this to work the water has to be polarised first before passing through the magnetic field.

Last edited:
All normal matter (electrons, protons, and neutrons) interacts with a magnetic field. This is how an MRI works. There is a very intense magnetic field (~10 T) to polarize the protons. Then, there is a pulsed gradient (orders of magnitude less) that disturbs the polarization. Protons in particular configurations respond to this step excitation are different frequencies. Hydrogen, if I remember correctly, since it has only one proton, has a strong appearance, so regions with more water show up more strongly.

1. What is the relationship between magnets and water?

Magnets and water have no direct relationship. However, when a magnet is placed near water, it can create a slight disturbance in the water's surface due to the magnetic field.

2. Can magnets repel water?

No, magnets cannot directly repel water. They can only interact with water indirectly through their magnetic field.

3. How does a magnet's repulsion work?

A magnet's repulsion is caused by the alignment of its magnetic domains. When two magnets with the same polarity are brought close together, their magnetic fields repel each other, creating a force that pushes them away.

4. Can magnets repel each other in water?

Yes, magnets can repel each other in water just like they do in air. The presence of water does not affect the magnetic force between two magnets.

5. Is there any scientific evidence for the health benefits of using magnets in water?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the use of magnets in water for health benefits. Some studies have shown that magnets may have a placebo effect on individuals, but there is no scientific basis for their alleged health benefits.