Calculating Required Passing Sight Distance for Safe Maneuver | Help Needed

• Thread starter Probie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which a passing maneuver on a two-lane highway needs to be carried out safely. The passing vehicle has a perception/reaction time of 2.5 seconds and an acceleration rate of 1.47 mph/sec. The initial speed of the passing vehicle is 50 mph and it accelerates to a passing speed of 60 mph. The conversation also mentions the speed of the slow vehicle and the opposing vehicle, as well as the length and clearance distances between the vehicles. The conversation ends with calculations and conclusions about the distances traveled and the time taken for the passing maneuver to be completed.
Probie
passing equation - help please

I am really confused :yuck: with this stuff, old timer needs some help...

A vehicle moving at a speed of 50 mph is slowing traffic on a two-lane highway. What passing sight distance is necessary, in order for a passing maneuver to be carried out safely?

Assume that the following variables have the values given:

Passing vehicle driver's perception/reaction time = 2.5 sec
Passing vehicle's acceleration rate = 1.47 mph/sec
Initial speed of passing vehicle = 50 mph
Passing speed of passing vehicle = 60 mph
Speed of slow vehicle = 50 mph
Speed of opposing vehicle = 60 mph
Length of passing vehicle = 22 ft
Length of slow vehicle = 22 ft
Clearance distance between passing and slow vehicles at lane change = 20 ft
Clearance distance between passing and slow vehicles at lane re-entry = 20 ft

You should also assume that the passing vehicle accelerates to passing speed before moving into the left lane.

The distance traveled by slow vehicle ??
The distance traveled by passing vehicle ??
The distance traveled by opposing vehicle ??
The time taken for passing vehicle to complete the pass ??
The relative distance ??
The clearance distance between opposing vehicle and passing vehicle upon lane re entry ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Probie. You need to show some of your work before we can be of much help. I'd recommend that you make a plot of the two vehicles' position versus time to help you figure this out. Draw time on the horizontal axis and distance on the vertical axis. Then Draw a straight line for the vehicle that is getting passed -- he's going a constant 50mph. Then start to draw the line for the passing vehicle, given some of the initial conditions. That should help you to get started.

Okay I drew to lines like you said, and all I get is two black lines on my paper staring back at me. I do not know if this is right but this is as far as I can get, as I said old timer needs help (50). I do not kow how to find the time I think it is t = D/v but I am not sure, and if it is how do I find the distance? Call me stupid...maybe just to old to learn.

Relative distance = 84ft

So = speed of opposing veh

So = 60 * 1.46
So = 87.6 f/s/s

Ss = speed of slow veh
Ss = 50 * 1.46
Ss = 73 f/s/s

diff = 87.6- 73
diff = 14.6 f/s/s

Well first off, I'm about the same age, and I learn new stuff all the time. So no, you don't get to use that excuse.

Next, the question is a little hard to understand, but I'm guessing it's something like this:

-- Driver in back sees that the road is clear at time t=0, but takes 2.5 seconds to start doing anything.

-- At t=2.5s, rear driver accelerates at 1.47mph/s, and reaches 60mph 20ft behind the slower car. How long does this take, and how far back from the 20ft did the rear driver have to start?

-- Faster driver now traveling 60mph travels the 20ft + 22ft + 22ft + 20ft distance and pulls back in, completing the pass. (quiz question: Why 22ft twice?)

You should be able to start adding up the numbers and distances, and start answering some of the questions. You should also be able to start drawing the plot of the passing vehicle on your graph. Since he starts behind the slower car and going the same speed, for t=0s to t=2.5s, the passing vehicle's line will be below (behind) the other vehicle's line on the graph, and parallel to it. Do you see why?

EDIT -- Fixed a typo

You are reading the question properly, the time of 2.5 sec is called percetion/reaction time.
The two vehs are on the highway and when the way is clear to rear veh accelerates and passes.
But there is veh coming toward the passing veh at a speed of 60 mph.

Why 22 ft twice, because you must count the length of the veh being passed plus the length of the passing veh. (for instance what if the passing veh is 40 ft long, it would then take longer to clear the slower veh and also it would close the distance between the passing veh and the opposing veh sooner).

If I am doing this right so far I have come up with a time of 6.80 sec to reach a speed of 60 mph. from 50 mph.
60 - 50 = 10 / 1.47 = 6.80sec

Okay here is what I get (no laughing allowed):

A = acceleration V1 = rear veh V2 = lead veh D = difference in speed

D = V1 - v2
D = 60 - 50
D = 10 mph

T = D / A

T = (V1 - V2) / A
T = (60 - 50 ) / 1.46

T = 6.80 sec.

So the rear vehicle traveled started 147 ft back of the lead veh. Then at 20 ft behind the lead veh he pulled out to pass covering a distance of 88 ft in 5.98 sec. then pulled back into his own lane in front of the veh he passed.

diff. in speed of two veh = 10 mph
14.70 f/s/s = 10 * 1.47 f/s/s
D = 14.70 * 10
D = 147 ft.

The passing veh covered a distance of 599.76 feet during the passing manuver.
D = V * t
D = 88.2 f/s/s * 6.80 sec
D = 599.76

The opposing veh covered a distance of 599.76 ft at a speed of 60 mph.
So if the distance between the passing veh and the opposing veh was 1800 ft then the distance between the passing veh and the opposing veh on completion of the passing manuver was 453.38 ft

The distance traveled by slow vehicle = 499.80 ft
The distance traveled by passing vehicle = 746.76 ft
The distance traveled by opposing vehicle = 599.76
The time taken for passing vehicle to complete the pass = 6.8 sec
The relative distance = 88 ft
The clearance distance between opposing vehicle and passing vehicle upon lane re entry = 453.48 ft

Last edited:
Could someone please check my above post to see if I did this right. Thanks

Okay here is my work...someone please see if I am correct with this.

A = acceleration V1 = rear veh V2 = lead veh D = difference in speed

D = V1 - v2
D = 60 - 50
D = 10 mph

T = D / A

T = (V1 - V2) / A
T = (60 - 50 ) / 1.46

T = 6.80 sec.

So the rear vehicle traveled started 147 ft back of the lead veh. Then at 20 ft behind the lead veh he pulled out to pass covering a distance of 88 ft in 5.98 sec. then pulled back into his own lane in front of the veh he passed.

diff. in speed of two veh = 10 mph
14.70 f/s/s = 10 * 1.47 f/s/s
D = 14.70 * 10
D = 147 ft.

The passing veh covered a distance of 599.76 feet during the passing manuver.
D = V * t
D = 88.2 f/s/s * 6.80 sec
D = 599.76

The opposing veh covered a distance of 599.76 ft at a speed of 60 mph.
So if the distance between the passing veh and the opposing veh was 1800 ft then the distance between the passing veh and the opposing veh on completion of the passing manuver was 453.38 ft

The distance traveled by slow vehicle = 499.80 ft
The distance traveled by passing vehicle = 746.76 ft
The distance traveled by opposing vehicle = 599.76
The time taken for passing vehicle to complete the pass = 6.8 sec
The relative distance = 88 ft
The clearance distance between opposing vehicle and passing vehicle upon lane re entry = 453.48 ft

> covering a distance of 88 ft in 5.98 sec.

Basically it looks right, but why 88 ft. instead of 84 ft?

Typo ...sorry about that.

What is "Help Passing Equation"?

"Help Passing Equation" is a term used to describe a mathematical equation or formula that is difficult for a person to solve or understand on their own. It is often used in educational settings to refer to equations that students may need assistance with in order to pass a class or exam.

Why do some people struggle with passing equations?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may struggle with passing equations. Some common reasons include a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, difficulty with mathematical problem-solving, or a lack of practice and familiarity with the specific type of equation being used.

How can I improve my ability to pass equations?

There are several strategies that can help improve your ability to pass equations. These include seeking help from a tutor or teacher, practicing regularly and working through similar equations, breaking down the equation into smaller, more manageable parts, and seeking a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts.

Are there any tips for understanding and solving equations?

Yes, there are several tips that can help with understanding and solving equations. Some of these include identifying the known and unknown variables, using the correct order of operations, checking your work for errors, and using visual aids or manipulatives to better understand the equation.

Can I use technology to help me pass equations?

Yes, there are many technological tools and resources that can assist with passing equations. These include graphing calculators, equation-solving apps, online tutorials and practice problems, and virtual tutoring services. However, it is important to also develop a strong understanding of the concepts behind the equations to truly excel in mathematics.