Hausdorff topological space M of dimension m

In summary, a Coo differentiable structure on a locally Euclidean, Hausdorff topological space M of dimension m is a collection of coordinate systems F that satisfy certain conditions. A C00 differentiable structure F is called an atlas if it is maximal, meaning that any other C00 differentiable structure on the space is a subset of F. This is proven by Zorn's Lemma, which states that any space with an atlas has a maximal atlas.
meteor
I have printed a notes about differential geometry, and it says:
-A Coo differentiable structure on a locally Euclidean, Hausdorff topological space M of dimension m is a collection of coordinate systems F
Then it specifies the conditions that F must satisfy, but I'm a little lazy and won't write it
Then it says:
-A C00 differentiable structure F which is maximal is called an atlas.
Then the text do not specify what it means by maximal. this is my doubt, what is a maximal C00 differentiable structure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by meteor
I have printed a notes about differential geometry, and it says:
-A Coo differentiable structure on a locally Euclidean, Hausdorff topological space M of dimension m is a collection of coordinate systems F
Then it specifies the conditions that F must satisfy, but I'm a little lazy and won't write it
Then it says:
-A C00 differentiable structure F which is maximal is called an atlas.
Then the text do not specify what it means by maximal. this is my doubt, what is a maximal C00 differentiable structure
a set of charts satisfying those requirements that you alluded to is called maximal if any other set of charts which satisfies the conditions is a subset of this one.

i find it a little more comfortable to call any set of charts that satisfies the conditions an atlas. then the above sentence is a little easier to read:

an atlas is maximal if any other atlas on the space is a subset.

by Zorn's Lemma, any space with an atlas has a maximal atlas.

In general, the term "maximal" means that there is nothing bigger than it. In many cases, though, you can prove that something maximal is bigger than everything else (such as in this case)

1. What is a Hausdorff topological space?

A Hausdorff topological space is a type of mathematical space that satisfies the Hausdorff axiom, which states that any two distinct points in the space can be separated by open sets. This ensures that the space is "well-behaved" and avoids certain types of mathematical paradoxes.

2. What does the dimension of a Hausdorff topological space refer to?

The dimension of a Hausdorff topological space refers to the minimum number of coordinates needed to describe any point within the space. This can be thought of as the "degree of freedom" of the space.

3. How is the dimension of a Hausdorff topological space determined?

The dimension of a Hausdorff topological space can be determined using various methods, such as the "covering dimension" or the "Lebesgue covering dimension". These methods involve analyzing the behavior of open sets within the space to determine its dimension.

4. What are some examples of Hausdorff topological spaces?

Some common examples of Hausdorff topological spaces include Euclidean spaces of any dimension, such as the familiar 3-dimensional space we live in, as well as various types of manifolds, such as spheres, tori, and projective spaces.

5. How are Hausdorff topological spaces relevant in scientific research?

Hausdorff topological spaces are widely used in many branches of mathematics, physics, and engineering. In particular, they are important in the study of continuity, convergence, and compactness, and they have applications in fields such as topology optimization, data analysis, and machine learning.